Traditional Regency Romance Aficionados discussion

Introductions & Discussions > authentic Regency language/diction

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judith (new)

Judith | 9 comments Comments in this group and in reviews of recent non-traditional regencies (i.e. sex) have sometimes focused on unauthentic Regency diction, i.e. Regency people did not say OK, a good read, etc. Is there any source or any sources where I could find a discussion of Regency diction? I have read a number of novels and letters from this period, but am unclear whether the upper class spoke this way: writing styles can differ from styles of speech. Thanks for any suggestions

message 2: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 45 comments The Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue can be found on Google Books. Georgette Heyer is considered the definitive source on Regency lexicon. Here is another useful lexicon Regency Lexicon For more formal speech you would have to look at primary sources like letters, speeches and the proceeds of The Old Bailey. You can also consult the Oxford English dictionary online to see when a word was first introduced. Also the blog NineteenTeen has had some great quizes and information on the language of the period.

The upper class sometimes spoke in a type of drawl popularized by the Duchess of Devonshire and the Prince Regent's set. There is one recording of the last surviving member of Queen Victoria's reign who spoke in a drawl. You hear it in period movies a lot and even in the recordings of the royals until recently.

Hope that helps!