Fringe Fiction Unlimited discussion

Questions/Help Section > Conferences and Events?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand I'm really curious to find out if any of you go to book events and things like that. I love the idea of going to a place with other story/book/genre nerds and just nerd out with them.

I want to go to Brave New Worlds, which is a distopian fiction conference, just because it sounds fun. :-)

message 2: by Jacek (new)

Jacek Slay I've never been to any (either there is none at my place or I must've missed any) but I would love to attend one. Meeting writers, fellow readers, getting autographs and stuff... must be totally worth it.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1696 comments I would if there were any that I could get to. but have yet to find any

message 4: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Do you mean like Cons, like ComicCon? I would love to go to a Con. Main thing that holds me back is the cost of a ticket.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1352 comments Mod
I think she means any kind, conference, event, con, signing, etc. I'm with you Lily, I got word of a Con that was going to be in Boston and when I found out how much It was I was shocked. Cons can be quite pricey.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1696 comments Justin wrote: "I think she means any kind, conference, event, con, signing, etc. I'm with you Lily, I got word of a Con that was going to be in Boston and when I found out how much It was I was shocked. Cons can ..."

I had the same heart attack, my wallet just about died lol. add to that the commute, it's just hard to make it to these big gatherings

message 7: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Yeah, it's unfortunate. It's pricey for a reason, I mean, a lot of work goes into these things. But, still...

message 8: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) I had booked and paid to attend a book festival in Cape Town, where Wilbur Smith, and Raymond Feist among others were putting in an appearance, but life intervened and at the last minute I couldnt go. Was deeply disappointed. Dont have many such things in South African and well...none in Zimbabwe. All the conferences etc in USA and England are just toooo expensive, but if I could I would definitely go.

message 9: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) I've been to Cons, but I've never attended any of the writer panels. I don't go the the professional conferences though. I like the lighter ones like Comic Con.

I've held a booth at a comic show which was cool because it wasn't just authors I got to nerd out with.

Overall, Cons are great, whether you're just there to talk, hang out, or promote a product.

message 10: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1352 comments Mod
I wonder if a Con would lower the price for admission if your there to promote work..probably not right? just a hopeful thought.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 15 comments I would love to go to a Con, and what a bonus it would be if any of my favouriter writers were there. How pricey are we talking? Anything less than 20 dollars I'd be happy with or am I being overly ambitious here?

message 12: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Tickets for Cons are usually in the hundreds, never less than a hundred. Never mind the cost of a table, traveling costs, etc, etc.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Mars (goodreadscomrachel_mars) | 210 comments I've only been to comic cons never explored any other events but I'm not opposed to it if the timing lined up right with my paycheck haha.

comic con in boston is getting bigger every year. I have no idea how much it is to have table set up there, but if you're just going to look around and geek out it's really not that bad. tickets go on sale for that febuary first. oh yeah, i've been waiting for it haha. one day i'd like to be on the other side of the booth that's for sure!

message 14: by Christie (new)

Christie Stratos (christiestratos) I've gone to local Cons and I really love them. You discover so many authors you didn't know about and make excellent connections. I definitely recommend them if just to network and buy books straight from the authors. I'm also going to Book Expo America in NYC this year for the first time, which is huge and has best selling authors on panels and such. I'll attend whatever panels I think are most applicable to me - there are so many! - and check out as many author booths as possible. If anyone is going to that, let me know. We should all have a meet up there :)

message 15: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand The one I'm looking at is £15 for a student for both days. You have to find the smaller, more specific ones, I think. :-)