BPC 8F discussion

Lord of the Flies
This topic is about Lord of the Flies
Lord of the Flies > Why do you think that the author made Simon the one who 'hears' the Lord of the Flies?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Daniel Crosbie (cb_bpc) | 19 comments Mod
To answer this one properly, you'll have to think about why Golding (the author) chose Simon out of all his characters to be the one. Why not Piggy? Why not Jack?

message 2: by Jackson (new)

Jackson | 18 comments I think its because he doesn't say or do much throughout the book and he thought he would make it more interesting if he put the spotlight on him instead of one of the other main characters.

message 3: by TIozzi (new)

TIozzi | 19 comments The answer I came up with to the question is that Simon needed more character development as throughout the book he doesn't really do anything interesting, so adding the fact that he can 'hear' the Lord of the Flies shows gives the reader (my interpretation) thoughts that perhaps Simon has already lost his mind and doesn't want to leave the island.

message 4: by Ayden (new)

Ayden Diaz | 14 comments I think that he is the one who hears because he is very quite and is normally just there with them not doing much.

message 5: by Leiam (new) - added it

Leiam Giouzepos | 20 comments I think it is because the author didnt want one of the main characters to do this, the author would of wanted to give some more character development to Simon.

message 6: by Lila (new)

Lila rust (mik0010) | 11 comments i think because he is very quiet so so they make him look more interesting

message 7: by Ella (new) - added it

Ella | 20 comments I think it could be because Simon has a smaller role in the story. He has always been too quiet to speak his own mind at assemblies in the past so this way you can kind of see what he has been thinking. It also makes the character more interesting by making him be the first one to go a little batty instead of going savage like Jack and some of the other boys have.

message 8: by Marlee (new)

Marlee Wright | 16 comments I think it is because he is kind of the quiet kid and that doesn't do much so he thought that he would give him a special role.

message 9: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Lane | 13 comments I think it is because he is quiet and keeps to himself a lot so the author doesn't want him to become one of the main characters

message 10: by Asher (new)

Asher | 5 comments I think it is because Simon is very quiet and thoughtful and because Simon knows that the beast is the savagery and loss of innocence in the other boys.

message 11: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Nguyen | 15 comments I think the author made Simon hear the voice because he doesn't do much because he is a very quiet character

message 12: by Mikayla (new)

Mikayla Kyriakopoulos | 10 comments Because he is the most quite.