General Fiction Forum Expats discussion

Exigency
This topic is about Exigency
Exigency > Exigency Discussion Week Three

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie (dhaupt) | 4453 comments Mod
Many things have happened since Exigency some horrendous, some good. But all in all its been one heck of a trip.

1. During the read have your first impressions of the characters changed either good or bad.
Who and why?

2. Lets talk about John’s death and Minnie’s survivors guilt.
Was she right to think that the blame is all on her?

3. Back on Threck life goes on for the majority of our survivors.
Was there any certain situation or character that stands out in this section?

4. Now for my favorite question-fast forward five years, what’s going on who’s thriving who’s barely hanging on?

5. Final thoughts.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Siemsen (michaelsiemsen) | 17 comments Looking forward to everyone's thoughts!

#4 is an especially interesting question, as five years later would be the time-frame of any potential, maybe, who knows, we'll see, sequel. And so I'd follow-up with this:

4a. It only took the Seekapock/Threck society roughly a century to go from primitive beings (I'd compare to proto-Neanderthals) to Romanesque city life with agriculture, philosophy, science, etc. It took humans around 350,000 years for the equivalent advancement (Threck 3500-times faster). What might another 5 years of accelerated evolution look like for the Threck?

message 3: by Debbie (new) - added it

Michael thanks for the comment wow a sequel would be fantastic :)

And the evolutionary timeframe for the Threck is quite the eye opener

I'm excited for everyone's thoughts too!

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Thanks for the heads up, Michael.

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Michael did a fantastic job on the Character development. Even when you look at the species as a Character. i.e. the Hynka. In the third section when he threw in the new and improved advanced version of the Hynka, I about peed my pants. Oh dear, that just threw a wrench in the works. Scenes of Planet of the Apes started racing through my head... Exigency style. Could this be good or bad?
There is still a lot of room for future character growth in the sequel (YEAH!!!), but no one seemed to be cut short in this first book.

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Come on guys... I'm dying to talk about some ideas, but don't want to be first!!!!! What do you think about Minnie and her mental issues. Did those come to her aid, or hinder her in her seeking self-preservation?

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Okay, my five years forcast is written and ready :-)

message 8: by Debbie (new) - added it

Karen wrote: "Come on guys... I'm dying to talk about some ideas, but don't want to be first!!!!! What do you think about Minnie and her mental issues. Did those come to her aid, or hinder her in her seeking se..."

Well I'll throw my hat in the ring. I was totally caught off guard by the mention of her mental illness and I was high fiving Michael for yet another curve ball that really made the read so intriguing how he really puts so much effort into the world building so that he even includes meds used to treat mental illness

I don't know if it was her issues that made her want to survive but maybe in spite of them sort of her thumbing her nose at what she thinks of as a weakness.

April (april_h) | 159 comments Karen wrote: "Michael did a fantastic job on the Character development. Even when you look at the species as a Character. i.e. the Hynka. In the third section when he threw in the new and improved advanced ve..."

I really loved the advanced version of Hynka. Especially Fitchsher. They were much more mild mannered and seemed interested in learning, especially how to build a fire. I found it interesting that while all three Hynka were willing to sit down with Minnie that it was Fitchsher that got the most enjoyment from their conversation. Onjr was much more gruff with Minnie than Fitchsher, so is it possible that with each generation that passed in this family they would become more mild mannered? I was very glad that Minnie was discovered and could live out life with the rest of her crew, but I'll admit a part of me was sad to see Fitchsher and his family go. I'd like to see where their lives would lead.

April (april_h) | 159 comments Karen wrote: "Come on guys... I'm dying to talk about some ideas, but don't want to be first!!!!! What do you think about Minnie and her mental issues. Did those come to her aid, or hinder her in her seeking se..."

This is a good question. Minnie seems determined to beat her inner beasts, to conquer them on her own. I see Minnie knowing she has this weakness and being very aware of it. She knows roughly how long she can go before having another attack and almost prepares herself for it. While witnessing the attack she had when she left John in the tent, we see her arguing with her inner self, threatening to stop running and turn around if she wasn't given the answers she wanted. I think in the end her mental issues helped her by making her stronger.

April (april_h) | 159 comments I don't think I realized how much I loved John until this last section. I took for granted that he would get better and somehow find a way out of Hynka Country.

I don't think Minnie was right thinking John's death was her fault. Yes, there were times that Minnie could trick herself into placing the blame on her shoulders: her not wanting to share the tent with John in the cave, which led to him not sleeping in the tent and him being bitten by the worms or John going out to find Minnie after her attack. But in the end it was John who decided not to sleep in the tent and John who went out searching for her. John was his own person and made his own decisions. His body may not have been in great shape, but his mind was working perfectly. He knew exactly what he was doing. Which was proven when she found him, clutching his fone and finding he had written his password on his glove. Brilliant! I liked how their relationship progressed throughout the book from them competeing against each other, trying to prove they were right to the respect and caring they showed each other at the end. When John died, I was glad he knew how Minnie really felt about him.

Zisa's pregnancy came as a total shock to me. It was a moment when I was so stunned, I had to go back and reread that part again.
The other thing that stands out in this section for me was John's death. It was something you could see might happen after he got hurt in the first section, but as time went on and he was able to beat the odds time and again, I really started to believe he would make it. All I kept thinking when Minnie was rescued was "if only John could have made it a few more days...".

It would be interesting to see where the group is in five years. Pablo and Zisa's baby would be four years old. How interesting to grow up on an alien planet. That could be a whole book itself! :) I see the rest of the crew doing well, but my main concern is for Tom. After Angela's death, there was so much resentment toward the Threck population. I'm not sure how well he'd be doing living in their country.

This was a great book. It opened up a whole new world for me. I really enjoyed every second!

April (april_h) | 159 comments Susan, I was surprised to see Heshper turn on Aether and Pablo as well. When she and her crew threw them into the water, all I could think was they were so close to rescuing Minnie! Aether mentioned what a jerk Heshper was and how her own crew disliked her, my hope is when she returned to Threck Country she was punished for her actions. I was so happy to see after Aether and Pablo caught up with Minnie that the Tunhkset, the other afvrik handler, had waited for them. What a great gesture!

message 13: by Debbie (new) - added it

April wrote: "I don't think I realized how much I loved John until this last section. I took for granted that he would get better and somehow find a way out of Hynka Country.

I don't think Minnie was right thi..."

I agree with you April about John's death I wasn't prepared for it.

I loved that Zisa got pregnant
Thanks for your comments and I'm so glad you liked the novel :)

message 14: by Debbie (new) - added it

Susan wrote: "I was not real happy to find out about Minnie being crazy. She was my favorite character, I liked the way she came out of her shell when John got sick. She turned into a bad ass. Thats why I was ch..."

Awe thanks Susan :)
I love your predictions :)

message 15: by Debbie (new) - added it

Michael supplied this latest picture of a City Threck
be sure to check it out on the photo page

https://www.goodreads.com/photo/group...

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael Siemsen (michaelsiemsen) | 17 comments This is a great discussion, and I'm happy/relieved to see you all enjoyed it, even if it's outside your usual realm. Thank you Debbie and Karen for bringing Exigency to the group!

1. On the subject of the Hynka Minnie meets, I'm wondering if anyone has any theories as to why they behave differently from the rest of their species.

2. There are two ebook versions of Exigency out there, one from before December, and one that replaced the original version that includes a Chapter 4.0 ". Did everyone read this newer version with the "wrap up" chapter?

message 17: by Debbie (new) - added it

Michael my copy only goes to 3.9 oh wow.

as far as the exodusing Hynka, they really impressed me, showed me that the two different classes of the species can act in unison especially when that little thing called "love" either spousal, parental etc... is involved.

Plus with the evolution of this planet so accelerated I thought it might be the way thing are meant to be.

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Michael, that is one of the reasons I have refrained from commenting much on the Hunks. I know there are a couple of versions out and I didn't want to speak out of the....pplus having read three different versions I'm not sure if my version and it's answer to the Hynka intelligence question is addressed in the e - versions. But, I will say when I read that particular scene I almost missed it.
I need to go back and read 4.0. Just haven't had time and didn't want having read that schapter when no one else had to color my answers....so off to dig it out of my files and read it.
I am loving everything that everyone is finding and speaking to. I especially love the idea of feeding the captain to the "sharks". lol.
As to Minnie's mental illness. I lived in Santa Fe, NM forever and had friends in my fold with more letters behind their name than in the alphabet (or so it seemed). One thing I found is that people with extremely high IQs and that have tunnel vsioned themselves into one field of expertise are usually odd men out in society. Yes, just like the TV show Big Bang Theory. Many times they lack many of the social graces of the average Joe. They look at the world through a different perspective. Their brains are wired just a little differently. But when you are accepted as their friend and have earned their trust, their loyalty and friendship is second to none.
Minnie was beyond brilliant. She knew and understood her illness and its limitations inside and out, sometimes she just didn't want to deal with it and didn't want others to deal with it for her. John knew and understood Minnie. in the end I think he did what he did to give her the key she needed to help her gain control of her life.
I am on my phone at the moment. Will submit my 5 year later when I get home to the computer where it is ready and waiting.

message 19: by Michael (last edited Jan 22, 2015 09:47AM) (new)

Michael Siemsen (michaelsiemsen) | 17 comments Debbie wrote: "Michael my copy only goes to 3.9 oh wow.

Hi Debbie, Kindle users can either download the book update through their Kindle/Kindle app, or grab the standalone Chapter 4.0 file from my website here. I'm not sure how updates work with Nooks, but the standalone ePub chapter 4.0 file is also available here.

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael Siemsen (michaelsiemsen) | 17 comments Karen wrote: "Minnie was beyond brilliant. She knew and understood her illness and its limitations inside and out, ..."

A couple of reviewers on Amazon commented that it was unrealistic for someone with Minnie's condition to be allowed on a mission of this type. That someone so unstable would endanger the entire station. I'd say this would be the case in the space program today, but I think it's pretty clear that her meds make it a non-issue, that an evac situation was considered highly unlikely, and that any tiny doubts or "what ifs" from the psychs and leadership back home would've been outweighed by the value her unique talents bring to a mission. But I may not have
emphasized this enough. Plus, much of the die hard Sci-Fi fanbase are pretty hardcore and sensitive when it comes to details like this.

More on reactions to Minnie and Aether: Interestingly, I wrote John to be an initially annoying know-it-all, can't-be-wrong type, and Minnie with perfectly clashing similarities. Both have big egos, but John is simply more mature. But man oh man did Minnie feel the wrath of certain readers! One said "I found myself hoping, later in the novel, that a Hynka might toss Minnie down in a bite or two to put her out of her self-absorbed, narcissistic, sexually confused, glandurlarly challenged, indefintely extended post-adolescent misery."

Others found Aether to be "...too snappy and cold, and certainly not the loving maternal figure she is made out to be."

I try not to take these sorts of comments personally, but instead find them to be fascinating reflections on reader personalities (Well, after enough reviews have come in to ascertain the majority opinion/interpretation. If everyone felt the same way about my characters, then I'd have to accept that I'd simply *missed* on this one). Though I never reply to reviews (and try to avoid reading them after the first few weeks of a new release) I do suspect that in the cases of readers who found characters unlikable or not behaving characteristically, that they've grown accustomed to an action/thriller hero who smiles and quips in the face of death, driving on after shedding a quick tear for a fallen comrade. Whereas most others realize that being thrown into an intense life-or-death situation, and believing that loved ones and friends have perished ... real humans generally aren't going to be at their best.

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Michael, I find that your heros seem to all too human. Lol Lord knows how I would react in a situation like this. Besides, It wasn't Minnie and her narcissistic attitudes and dilutions that created the entire meltdown of the space station to begin with.
John a know-it-all? Yes, but also someone who cared. I feel that his personality was balanced in the oversight of the group by Aether. Each, alone was not strong enough or had the correct set of skills, but together they made the right team for this unique mission.
Just my opinion.
I still stand behind my opinion of "you dun good".

message 22: by Debbie (new) - added it

Susan wrote: "Micheal, or Deb if you find out how it works on a nook let me know"

Susan if you just click the link that Michael provides for the stand alone e-pub version you can download that onto your nook or any tablet or desktop

message 23: by Debbie (new) - added it

Michael wrote: "Karen wrote: "Minnie was beyond brilliant. She knew and understood her illness and its limitations inside and out, ..."

A couple of reviewers on Amazon commented that it was unrealistic for someon..."

Michael that's a "novel" way to deal with reviews ;)
I have to admit that there were a few times I'd love to have seen Minnie get bitten by a Hynka, well in fact she did get lovingly tossed around by one. But it also speaks highly of an author that he/you gets readers so emotionally involved in the situation that they want to throw the book against the wall etc..

I know many authors who don't read any reviews, some only read editorial reviews.

One of the big reasons I love this kind of discussion is that we can 1-spend a lot of time on each section and 2- that it's so true that no two people read the same book.

Thanks for your generous time with us this month. We will delve more into the thank yous next week too.

message 24: by Debbie (last edited Jan 22, 2015 12:26PM) (new) - added it

Michael wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Michael my copy only goes to 3.9 oh wow.

Hi Debbie, Kindle users can either download the book update through their Kindle/Kindle app, or grab the standalone Chapter 4.0 file from my..."

Michael I just downloaded and read 4.0 and WOW, I laughed out loud at Zisa :) and you've got me spooked and excited to see where to next. Now I really can't wait for the sequel and I hope you'll come back when it's released and we'll read it as a group too!

April (april_h) | 159 comments Susan wrote: "April wrote: "Susan, I was surprised to see Heshper turn on Aether and Pablo as well. When she and her crew threw them into the water, all I could think was they were so close to rescuing Minnie! A..."

I love this idea! I think that would be the appropriate punishment! :)

April (april_h) | 159 comments Just updated my kindle edition of the book. How exciting that there's still another chapter left to read! If only more books had a surprise chapter waiting for us at the end of the read. :) I'll be back later to comment after I've read it.

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Will post my five years in the morning.

April (april_h) | 159 comments Loved chapter 4.0! It really added some much needed closure to the end of the book that I felt was missing before. After reading it, I reread the epilogue and it was so much clearer to me this time around. Great addition!

It was nice to see the remaining crew members together again even if it was for a short amount of time. I was sad to see Tom leave, but knew it was necessary. I loved that Minnie was really trying to be supportive of her fellow crew members. I could tell how this whole experienced had changed her and made her want to be a better person.

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments I agree, April. Chapter 4.0 was a definite positive addition to the book. It gave us Exigency groupies hope. For me, personally, it brought together and resolved the several versions that I have read. Now for my five year, way out there :-D predictions, with a few surprises. I did say way out there.

Exigency Plus Five

The group has worked out the treaty for rights to an island to the north that will meet their needs and will not interfere with the continued development of the Threck and Seekapoo, beyond any requested assistance in advancement of development of their civilization.
The Threck took them up on assisting in helping them develop some industry and agricultural models. The Seekapoo on requested that they teach them mathematics and how to read the stars.
Five years later, the continent of the Threck was a thriving industrial complex capable of producing and supplying any material goods needed by their peoples. They had enlarged their maritime fleet and were secretly on the verge of developing weapons of mass destruction. Even though they were the most advanced industrial civilization on the planet, they had found they now had a horrible formable enemy, capable of destroying everything their planet could ever be.
The Seekapoo had taken the mathematics that the Team taught them and after working with them and learning everything they had to teach, left their teachers behind. These philosophers of the deep turned their eyes to the stars. They explored the depths and breadths of the great oceans of the planet, in the process making many great discoveries which they shared with the Threck in exchange for goods and services to continue their studies and explorations. By the middle of the fifth year, on a secret island far to the south, the Seekapoo had started a building program for a great space station, so that they could better study the stars. They were also building a proto-type ship that would be capable of taking the space station crew back to their peoples in a fraction of the time that it took for them to come to their planet. The Seekapoo, were ready to explore the universe themselves and felt that all would be ready for final testing within six months, and lift off for planet earth with the earth crew and an emissary team from Exigency of Seekapoo and Threck in attendance to go with them. We would later come to know this species as Vulcans.
The last species on the planet had made some phenomenal advancement, but for a different reason. A few, the “chosen”, had been found by the Kee. There were now three breeds of Hynka on the great continent across the ocean from the Threck. The Great Hynka, the Lessor Hynka, and the Intelligent Hynka. There is good and bad to the rise of the third breed. For the third breed also rose in power. Power within the Hynka structure wwas as absolute, an as we know absolute power corrupts absolutely. Within five years the Hynka civilization was very much like the small country of North Korean during the early part of the twenty first century on earth. It was a country run by a ruthless leader and his army of mindless henchmen gorillas who would do his bidding without question, just for scraps from the table. The rest of the country lay in scrap and ruin as they maimed and massacred all that lay in the way of their next objective, leaving no survivors in the wake of their churning horde. Though not as well developed as the other civilizations of their planet, their flotsam flotilla of marauding killers were feared by the entire population of the planet.
The small group of Orbiters who had settled up north had settled in. A couple had paired off and four children had been welcomed to the group. Life was going well, with all circumstances considered. The group was reconciling themselves to the long haul of dependence on an alien species for their well-being, and had settled into a routine.
Till all hell broke loose one afternoon when the radio receiver sitting silently on the shelf in Angela’s office let loose with all it’s bells and whistles.

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Well, if they are evolving as quickly as Michael says. a lot can happen

message 31: by Debbie (new) - added it

Wow Karen that's quite the look forward.
Thanks