SFF Hot from Printers: New Releases discussion

General > List your top 3 of 2020 (so far) here!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 231 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

I haven't been able to do as much monthly reading in this group as I would have liked, but I know that some of you have been absolutely voracious in your reading of 2020 releases. I'm thinking when I have a chance to start that I should maybe focus on the ones that have been the most well-received, so I'm curious what your favourites are up to this point in the year.

So, post your top 3 (so far) of 2020 in this thread! Or top 5, if you've read enough to include more.

message 2: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 566 comments This is tough. My favorite 2020 read so far is probably Sharks in the Time of Saviors and my second is probably The Hidden Girl and Other Stories, but if you are looking for Hugo possibilities I'm not sure they fit the bill. Sharks is magical realism. And is there a category for short story collections? The rest of my 2020 reads don't much stand out from each other. The best in no particular order are The City We Became, The Book of Koli, The House in the Cerulean Sea, and Firewalkers(novella). But I'm also nearly done with Network Effect and The Vanished Birds which will likely rank pretty high. And I'm about to start Harrow the Ninth and The Doors of Eden which I'm pretty excited about! I'll come back and try to make a ranked list once I finish those. :)

message 3: by Oleksandr (last edited Oct 14, 2020 01:56AM) (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 1738 comments Mod
Thanks for starting the thread, Kalin!

My novels list is surprisingly short - if we are speaking about books I see SFF award-worthy as compared with just fine books
The Doors of Eden
The Book of Koli
Lent - published in 2019

I guess there is a high probability (over 90%) that The City We Became will end up among Hugo nominees, but I personally liked it less than her other works. Mexican Gothic - the same, only probability is I guess is closer to 70% that it will end up among Hugo nominees.

Right now, I got access to several SFF magazines, so I plan to add shorter works to my list

message 4: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments Good idea, Kalin.
I've been able to read a lot and it - so far - boils down to:

"The Doors of Eden" - Adrian Tchaikovsky
"The Vanished Birds" - ,Simon Jimenez
"The Book of Koli" ( and the sequel) - M.R. Carey
"Piranesi" - Susanna Clarke
"To Sleep in a Sea of Stars" - Christopher Paolini (this one not for its literary merit but for being such a fun SF love letter read)

message 5: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 270 comments Mod
Kristen wrote: "And is there a category for short story collections? "

No, there isn't - although if the collection includes stories that haven't been published (in English) before, they can be nominated in the Short Story or Novelette categories.

message 6: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments @Oleksandr: "Lent" is published in 2019, it's not eligible, isn't it?

message 7: by Oleksandr (new)

Gabi wrote: "@Oleksandr: "Lent" is published in 2019, it's not eligible, isn't it?"

Erm, you're correct. I guessed maybe 2019 in the UK, but no, in the US too

message 8: by Oleksandr (new)

Gabi wrote: ""Piranesi" - Susanna Clarke"

In my TBR pile. I adored Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell but found here short stories lackluster, I hope this one closer to the former

message 9: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments @Oleksandr: I found Strange & Norrell only so-so. I liked Piranesi a lot more.

message 10: by Oleksandr (new)

Gabi wrote: "@Oleksandr: I found Strange & Norrell only so-so. I liked Piranesi a lot more."

Not only you - I guess Kate DNFed it and Allan was reading it like half-a-year (unless I'm mistaken)

message 11: by Oleksandr (new)

Also, a list of possible reads with some words from the authors https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1...

message 12: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 566 comments Antti wrote: "Kristen wrote: "And is there a category for short story collections? "

No, there isn't - although if the collection includes stories that haven't been published (in English) before, they can be no..."

That makes sense. I have no idea if any of the stories are eligible.

In thinking more about this, if you want a top three that is also award viable I would say so far...

Novels:
1. The City We Became
2. Network Effect (I'm not quiiiite done but close and worth including)
3. The Book of Koli

Novellas:
1. Firewalkers
2. and 3. I haven't read any other novellas I would recommend.

message 13: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments For novellas the only note worthy for me so far was

"The Stone Weta"

if I stumble over nothing more exciting, "Firewalkers" will go onto my list as well.

message 14: by Kateblue (new)

Kateblue | 736 comments Mod
I'm with Kirsten for the first two!

1. The City We Became
2. Network Effect
3.Catfishing on CatNet (CatNet #1)

message 15: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 231 comments Mod
Catfishing on Catnet is another one from (late) 2019. I think it won the best YA novel award among the Hugos? I can't recall the name of the award.

Thanks everyone for sharing your favs.

message 16: by Eva (new)

Eva | 131 comments So far, I'd nominate:

1) Harrow the Ninth
2) Doors of Eden (not yet done reading, but loving it)
3) The City We Became

But I've only read a few 2020 releases, so this can still change a lot.