2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

Silent Scream (DI Kim Stone, #1)
This topic is about Silent Scream
Silent Scream > Question P

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6198 comments Mod
Kim described Victor as being attracted to places devoid of hope and filled with despair, where he could project himself as a beacon of hope amongst the misery. Did she adequately capture him? Why do you think Bryant felt there may have been some good in him?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 707 comments What makes a psychopath, a psychopath? All about controlling others with no remorse. Kim's description is apt.

Bryant's thoughts show what sort of person he is, the antithesis of Victor really. He sees the good in a situation, even with a killer. Not sure I agree with him though.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 1998 comments Believing that there is some good in Victor feels like a coping mechanism for Bryant. It must be difficult to see the evil that cops see every day.

Kim's description is more accurate. He does prey on the lost souls.

I could be off base here but Bryant was swayed by him being a supposed man of the cloth. He was trying to find some balance in the man, like he could offset his horrible behavior with good works.

Victor was a predator and a vicious one at that. He used religion as a cover and absolution for himself. I never can remember the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath but Victor had to be one of them. He had no redeeming qualities, especially as he had zero remorse.

Kim called it right because she’d seen him before.

Lynn (ftbooklover) | 559 comments Sharon wrote: "Believing that there is some good in Victor feels like a coping mechanism for Bryant. It must be difficult to see the evil that cops see every day.

Kim's description is more accurate. He does pre..."

I agree, Sharon. Kim sees Bryant as being naive because he wanted to believe that the reason Victor chose where and how to work was because he was trying to do something good. He hasn't seen the side of life that Kim has. That's odd considering how long he has been a detective. I may be viewing Bryant as older than he is supposed to be in these stories.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 707 comments Isn't it mentioned that Bryant is in his 40's. His 25th wedding anniversary is mentioned so that would put him somewhere between 45-48 I think.

Another thought is it’s Bryant’s nature to find the best in people. Here he was searching for it in Wilks.

Lynn (ftbooklover) | 559 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Isn't it mentioned that Bryant is in his 40's. His 25th wedding anniversary is mentioned so that would put him somewhere between 45-48 I think."

That's what I thought.

~Teresa | 48 comments I think Bryant would be a “the glass is half full” type of guy regardless of what his chosen profession was. Regardless of the reason, coping mechanism, a choice he has made, the way he was raised, personality, etc. he wants to believe there is good in everyone.

Kim is the one I find incredibly interesting. I think she is right on in this instance. It’s like one broken person recognizing another broken person.