Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban discussion

Can I have book cases as well as shelves?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sling Gilly I organise my reading both by themes and by dates, so I have a shelf for each month. If, for example, I read "Blackout" by Connie Willis this week it would go into my 2WW shelf, and my Rereads shelf, but also 2015 and Jan-15. What I'd like would be to have a "bookcase" called 2015, which contains each of the 12 monthly shelves.
It seems like a logical way to organise things, you could have a Historical Fiction "bookcase" and then shelves within for different periods, or whatever.
Does this exist? How do I do it? If not can this suggestion be registered?! Thank you!

message 2: by TheBohemianBookworm (last edited Jan 19, 2015 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TheBohemianBookworm Wow! That sounds like quite an endeavor! That sounds like organization I could only dream of! I think your idea sounds great. I would just do like you were saying and get a bookcase for each genre and then continue to categorize within each bookcase. So if you have a historical bookcase you could have sections for The War of Eighteen Twelve or WWII. I do think it might be overwhelming however to have a genre, a year in which it was written, and the date you read, it to all be distinct categories on one bookcase. It might be better to choose one way of organizing over another. Does that make sense?

Izzy Sling wrote: "I organise my reading both by themes and by dates, so I have a shelf for each month. If, for example, I read "Blackout" by Connie Willis this week it would go into my 2WW shelf, and my Rereads she..."

Hi Sling

There is already a way to organise your books on what year you have read them. Goodreads has a reading challenge in which you specify how many books you're going to read in that year. Here's the link to the blog for 2015:
https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/4...

While the challenge was set up as an incentive to read more books, it just so happens to be a useful tool to organise your books, too. It's easier than constantly creating shelves.
You can see all the books you've read in that year in one go, like this:
https://www.goodreads.com/user_challe...

"If not can this suggestion be registered?!"
There is an official Goodreads group that was created solely for the purpose of members to post their thoughts and suggestions to the group. If you have any suggestions then you need to post it to them.

TheBohemianBookworm ETA So sorry! I thought you were talking about physical bookshelves! My mistake. Hope the other answerer was more helpful.

Robert Wright Interesting suggestion. You may want to post it here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

For now, you can put a book on multiple shelves (unless they are created as exclusive). When you are looking at your books, you can filter by multiple shelf tags, though this is not immediately obvious.

In My Books, you have to select the first shelf (say, 2015), then scroll down to the bottom of your shelf list on the left. Above the bold text for Add shelf is some tiny, grey text for "select multiple." Click that to then add more shelves to filter by.

It's not as clean or easy as what you're suggesting, but it achieves the same basic goal, I think.