Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Spectre's Rest (The Brackenford Cycle #3)
This topic is about Spectre's Rest
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Spectre's Rest [November 1, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7471 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for Spectre's Rest by Nick Mosely starting November 1, 2020.
Spectre's Rest (The Brackenford Cycle #3) by Nick Moseley

Graeme Rodaughan Thanks, Niki, much appreciated.

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments One spooky day away 👻🧟‍♂️👺, and back to Brakenford to rejoin the fray 🇬🇧🇦🇺🇺🇲.

Graeme Rodaughan Indeed. Well said, Sterling.

message 5: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni | 5020 comments As I wasn't able to finish the series the first time around, I will jump in here :)

Narilka | 2939 comments Yay! Good to have you Anni :)

Graeme Rodaughan Sir Anni wrote: "As I wasn't able to finish the series the first time around, I will jump in here :)"

Cool. Great to see you here, Sir Anni.

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments Heck yeah! Welcome back into the fold.

message 9: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni | 5020 comments Thanks guys :)

message 10: by Sterling (last edited Nov 01, 2020 02:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments So I cracked open Spectre's Rest during my morning reading session. I'm liking the energy of the book through the first five chapters.

Chapter Five
(view spoiler)

Narilka | 2939 comments Chapter 1 and (view spoiler)

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments About a quarter of the way through and I'm starting to get a glimmer as to the shape of things.

Chapter twelve
(view spoiler)

Narilka | 2939 comments Sterling wrote: "So I cracked open Spectre's Rest during my morning reading session. I'm liking the energy of the book through the first five chapters.

Chapter Five..."

I agree, I like that a lot about this series too. (view spoiler)

message 14: by Graeme (last edited Nov 02, 2020 03:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Graeme Rodaughan I'm in Chap 4.

I think you'll love the next major book in the series too, it has a wonderfully drawn villain who is another example of refreshing a established mythical figure.

message 15: by Sterling (last edited Nov 02, 2020 06:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments @Graeme You don't have to threaten me with a good time 🤩.

@Narilka chapter five (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Chapter 8.

I was surprised when Feargal Deacon (view spoiler)

I speculate that Seth Lysander is a (possibly the) master villain in this series - his name keeps turning up in shadowy/shady circumstances.

Graeme Rodaughan Regarding Spectre's Rest, I gotta wonder who the architect was?

REF (Ghost Busters 1984 jail scene): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gxCT...

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments I'm through chapter twenty now.

(view spoiler)

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments @Graeme I think you might be on to something with that, Lysander has been creeping on the fringes since book one. I wonder if he has something to do with The Line as well, I think Sarah might be involved with them.

(chapter six I believe, eight to be safe) (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2939 comments @Greame, yeah that was a surprise. (view spoiler)

Through Ch 11 (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan @Sterling. (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Yes, Sterling. I think he's behind the Line too. Unless there is more than one player on the bad guy's side, which is possible.

Still speculating here, as I don't know.

Graeme Rodaughan Frankly, Sarah's a bit of an enigma.

Graeme Rodaughan @Narilka,

I find Nick's settings to be a strength too.

Regarding Sarah, (view spoiler)

message 25: by Sterling (last edited Nov 03, 2020 04:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments Chapter 25 in the bag.

(view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Cool. So am I

message 27: by Sterling (last edited Nov 03, 2020 04:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments @Narilka I agree with both of you the settings in this series have been wonderful. Mosley loves to ramp up the creepy factor with aware graveyards, haunted ponds, creepy asylums and living prisons. Keep them coming, we're loving it.

Narilka | 2939 comments I think my Sarah comment was aimed at Sterling from his spoiler in message 20. I left his name off though so looked like you Graeme. Sorry about that.

Graeme Rodaughan Narilka wrote: "I think my Sarah comment was aimed at Sterling from his spoiler in message 20. I left his name off though so looked like you Graeme. Sorry about that."

Of course, NP. Color me having a confused expression for a moment or two... :-).

Graeme Rodaughan Of course, Narilka. If we were located in another time and place, reading hardcover copies within a delightful tea room, with the afternoon sun gracing the gardens beyond the bay windows... with the full advantage of face to face communication, body language, tone of voice, etc...

Now that would be a reading group.

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments I think we would rock that tea room into the stratosphere 😁.

(I'm pretty sure the only thing this is an actual spoiler for is location, location, damnation. The rest is a collection of random thoughts that I've attempted to string together.)
(view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Sterling. All interesting and pertinent thoughts. However, (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Chapter 10, (21% in on kindle).

The penny just dropped. (view spoiler)

message 34: by Sterling (last edited Nov 04, 2020 09:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments Graeme wrote: "Chapter 10, (21% in on kindle).

The penny just dropped.

It definitely seemed that way, that whole scene confused me though.
(view spoiler)

Narilka | 2939 comments Graeme wrote: "Of course, Narilka. If we were located in another time and place, reading hardcover copies within a delightful tea room, with the afternoon sun gracing the gardens beyond the bay windows... with th..."

I'm in! A tea room sounds delightful :)

message 36: by Narilka (last edited Nov 04, 2020 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Narilka | 2939 comments I have exactly 0 theories on who the traitor is :) That's not a bad guess though Sterling in message 35. And I totally agree Greame (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2939 comments Through Ch 18 (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Narilka wrote: "Through Ch 18 ..."

Insightful comments, Narilka.

Graeme Rodaughan Sterling wrote: "It definitely seemed that way, that whole scene confused me though..."

I honestly have no idea.

message 40: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni | 5020 comments I was trying to keep up this time, but have already fallen behind... Just finished chapter 7. The bright side is, there are a lot of comments to open :)

(view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan Hi Anni, glad to see you here. I'm only at ch 14, and Sterling and Narilka are approx. 1/2 way through.

Yes, Nick does salt the early chapters with tidbits of previous events to enable easier uptake of the story.

message 42: by Sterling (last edited Nov 05, 2020 02:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments We got the green light to re-open our cardroom today, so I'm officially back in the banking business 😁. Unfortunately I was distracted and didn't make time to read today. I'm going to read a chapter or two tonight and hopefully get back on track for tomorrow.

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments @Narilka I'm picking up what you're putting down. (view spoiler)

@Anni I hope you're right, I enjoy a little cheese when appropriate! Though my heart's set on Miss Pine for our boy Trev.

@Graeme I hadn't noticed that about the opening chapters, but it definitely resonates. It's done in a really good way, as it's never felt like retread ground. Another plus in the Mosely writing collum.

message 44: by Sterling (last edited Nov 06, 2020 03:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments Chapter forty in the books. I've been truly enjoying the qualities that differentiate Spectre's Rest from the rest of the series.

Chapter forty (view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan I'm not sure what chapter I'm at, I'm at 59%, but everyone has begun to realize that (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2939 comments Through Ch 33 (view spoiler)

Narilka | 2939 comments No rush Anni. We love talking about these books at whatever pace everyone reads at :D

Sterling (sterling1989) | 272 comments ~Fin
(view spoiler)

Graeme Rodaughan I'm in Ch 28, and things are getting chaotic.

Graeme Rodaughan Glad you enjoyed it, Sterling. I look forward to your review.

« previous 1 3