Chicks On Lit discussion

Nominations and Selections > November Group Read Nomination

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4098 comments Our September read has strolled into October. I am glad this group gives us the freedom to take extra time to allow everyone to get and read a selected book. But as we continue that book, I thought maybe we could start to nominate and pick a November book. If we can settle our choice by Oct. 25 or so, it might make it easier for those interested to get it and read it in November.
So, what would people like to read in November?

message 2: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4098 comments I will nominate "The Hummingbird's Daughter" by Luis Alberto Urrea

The Hummingbird's Daughter

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments I would love to read The Humming bird daughter. It has been on my TBR list for a long time. I am sorry to say that I have found my reading time is no longer guaranteed. If we can do it over a period of time I am in.

message 4: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4098 comments Wow, 2 for the same book off the bat. Let's see if there are others who want to nominate another book. I wish I could find a way to reach out to a greater number of the members of this group.

message 5: by Melody (new)

Melody (mab4ksu) | 78 comments I skipped Long Bright River, but would be on board for Nov. I like book choice.

message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4098 comments That would be great.
I hope my nomination is not limiting or discouraging others from nominating. I was only trying to get the process started.

message 7: by Vivienne (new)

Vivienne Seatter | 76 comments Yes I would like to read The Hummingbirds Daughter.

message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4098 comments Would Nov. 1 work for a start date for everyone? I can start the thread in the discussion folder, but I still can't change the post at the top of the group page. Tera did contact me to ask about making me a mod. I was a bit ambivlolent, willing to assume responsibility to adding our books to the group shelf, but not wanting to take full mod responsibilities. I mod another small group and I don't think I have the time to work with two groups. I think my lack of full enthusiasm made her decide not to make me a mod, which is fine with me. But it does mean I can't edit the group selections.

message 9: by Melody (new)

Melody (mab4ksu) | 78 comments sounds good. I'm in.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin Bentley (rbentley) | 70 comments I'll see if I can get it from the library--or the local bookstore. If so, I'm in! Looking forward to it based on reading the first page on Amazon.

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4098 comments Hope you can join us, Robin

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin Bentley (rbentley) | 70 comments Thanks, Irene! I'm looking forward to getting the book tomorrow and joining in. It's been awhile.

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments Hi I am sorry for my absence. I had a Lupus flare, I spent 3 terrifying days in hosp. I am used to being hospitalized but this was very different. The mood at the hospital is so different. It is never a happy place but this was weird. I am putting in a hold for Humming birds daughter once i finish here

message 14: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4098 comments O Renee, I am sorry to read of your health issues. I hope you are well soon. Being hospitalized is never fun.

message 15: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments Thank you for the kind words. I am still waiting for Hummingbirds Daughter. I don't understand whats taking so long.

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin Bentley (rbentley) | 70 comments Hi Renee, I'm sorry you're having to wait--hope you've gotten it by now. I ordered a used copy from Seattle Goodwill and it arrived within a few days. Leafing through it I'm excited to get started as it looks like it will go quickly. It seems to lend itself to dividing into neat 100-ish page chunks.

message 17: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments I may have to order it. I am giving them 3 more days. It says its on the shelf but they cant find it.