What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Wit'ch Fire (The Banned and the Banished, #1)
This topic is about Wit'ch Fire
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult Epic Fantasy series. Heroine can use magic by exposing her hand to different kinds of light, which create rose-shaped mark on her palm; different lights give her different powers. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Siavahda | 18 comments In the world of the series, magic used to be for men only; they dipped their hands into light to draw power. But at some point, for some reason, they started losing their hands completely when dipped into light and believed (I think) that their god had abandoned them. The main story takes place quite a bit later (centuries?), when a young girl discovers she can create rose-shaped marks on her hand by exposing it/dipping it to different light, like the Mages Of Old. There are legends of some sorceress who was able to do this too, the only woman who could, and at least by the time she turned into a legend she was considered terrifying and evil etc. So people believe that women using magic is impossible/evil, and this young girl is in danger because of that. There may also be some kind of prophecy, or people who believe she is that ancient sorceress reborn.

She and her brother go on the run, and the girl discovers that, although the Mages of Old drew power from only one kind of light, she can use several. At one point in the series she discovers she can draw power from 'ghostlight', although I have no memory of how she figured that out or how she could be exposed to the light of the dead. I remember that as she uses magic, the rose-mark on her palm fades, until she has to renew it by drawing power from various kinds of light again.

I remember that towards the end of the series the story was gearing up into a very, very big war of two sides, although I'm not sure it was as simple as good vs evil. There were sea-dwelling people involved on one side or the other, who lived inside giant whales; not mermaids, I'm pretty sure they had legs. One of the sea-dwellers was a PoV character in later books.

I want to say the series was longer than a trilogy (maybe five books?) and I also think it was written by a male author. I read it around 2006-7.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help!

message 2: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy | 142 comments I'm pretty sure that you're thinking of the Banned and Banished series by James Clemens:
1 - Wit'ch Fire
2 - Wit'ch Storm
3 - Wit'ch War
4 - Wit'ch Gate
5 - Wit'ch Star
(sorry, I'm using the phone app, so can't add links)

Siavahda | 18 comments Yes, that's it!!! Thank you so much!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35347 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Siavahda. Here's the link for Jeremy's find - the first book: Wit'ch Fire by James Clemens.

Siavahda | 18 comments Thank you!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wit'ch Fire (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Clemens (other topics)