Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Robin P's Fall Challenge Round 2

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (last edited Oct 09, 2020 09:06PM) (new)

Robin P | 1932 comments Mod
Well. my decision that I didn't need any more challenges lasted all of 2 days! I realized I had a few books toward a 2nd round with different prompts.

message 2: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (last edited Oct 30, 2020 05:35PM) (new)

SEPTEMBER

1. First Day of Fall
Xa. Read a book that contains a 2 in the page number. - The Glass Hotel - 302 pages - Sep 24

2. National Read a Book Day
Xc. Read a book that can be read in one day. - Jim the Boy - Oct 12

3. Fall or Autumn?
Xb. Read a book by an author whose first or last name starts with A or F. - Dear Mrs. Bird by A.J. Pearce - Oct 3

4. September Birthday: Shel Silverstein
X b. Read a book written between 1930 and 1999 - Foundation - Oct 6

OCTOBER

1. Pumpkin Spice Everything
Xa. Read a book that has orange on the cover. - Mudbound Mudbound by Hillary Jordan - Oct 18

2. October Birthday: R.L. Stine
Xb. Read a book in which the title starts with a letter in GOOSEBUMPS. - The Politics of Resentment: Rural Consciousness in Wisconsin and the Rise of Scott Walker

3. World Mental Health Day
X b. Read a book featuring a healthcare worker - Medicus - Oct 26

4. Halloween
X b. Read a book in which the main character has a disguise. - Troubled Blood - Oct 11 - One of the 2 main characters disguises herself multiple times during the investigation

NOVEMBER

1. National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day
Xb. Read a book featuring a main character whose name starts with a letter in HERSHEYS. - Riviera Gold (Character is Sherlock Holmes.) - Oct 20

2. November for Beginners
Xa. Read a book whose title features at least one word that is mentioned in the poem (word must be 4 letters or longer). - "down" - Bringing Down the Duke - Oct 22

3. But It's Spring?
X a. Read a book with a green or yellow cover - A Woman's Touch A Woman's Touch by Jayne Ann Krentz - Oct 15

4. November Birthday: C.S. Lewis and Madeleine L'Engle
Xb. Read a book with religious themes. - The Prioress' Tale Oct 30

message 3: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Completed Oct 30

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2344 comments My goodness! There’s a book about Scott Walker! Well, we know what happened in 2018.

message 5: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (last edited Oct 31, 2020 07:11AM) (new)

I read it along with White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America, Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis, and Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents, for a talk on class in America. The author of the Wisconsin book was already doing a project on views of rural residents toward the capital & the university, so she was able to document how the controversies played out in those places. It's kind of scholarly in parts, but it has long conversations with actual people. A charming thing is that the author used being a native Wisconsinite to talk to people in their own "language", play dice or cards with them, etc. So it was like an anthropologist explaining a tribe. This was written before 2016, but the author found herself in great demand after that election to explain the thinking of that tribe.

The talk is for a very liberal group (which I am part of). We pride ourselves in being welcoming to all races, genders, etc. But most of us have negative opinions on people who vote differently from us, or who don't have higher education. I certainly judge people by their grammar!

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2344 comments All those books sound interesting.