What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Starless Sea
This topic is about The Starless Sea
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. book about character finding book of short stories in library, one turns out to be true, character tries to find out if others are true too [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Smith | 5 comments Hello, I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me.... A work colleague recommended a book for me to read whilst on my holidays. I can’t remember either the title or the author...
My colleague described it as being about a character who stumbles across a collection of short stories in a book at the library. One of these stories turns out to be factual, so the character tries to find out if the rest of the stories could possibly be true too.

Thank you in advance to anybody who could possibly help me. I realise it is not much at all to go on...

message 2: by Kris (last edited Oct 06, 2020 09:57AM) (new)

Kris | 35385 comments Mod
Tom, what's the genre (which we need to add to the topic header) - e.g., for adults or teens, mystery, fantasy, literary fiction?

Around what year did you think your colleague read this book? A range of years is fine.

Character's age, job or student? Location and time period of the story?

message 3: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Smith | 5 comments Unsure of genre, I’m very sorry
I think very recent, possibly this year, he thought he had found it in the charts
I think the character would be around 21 and a student, I think it was a university library
I also think it’s set in the modern day

Thank you for your help

message 4: by Kris (new)

No problem. Would you say there are no fantasy elements?

message 5: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Smith | 5 comments I’m not sure, i probably would say it could have fantasy elements based on other books he recommended

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (kimiq) | 14 comments This could be The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern?

It's a fantasy set in the modern day, and the main character is a student at university. He finds a book of short stories which contains one about something that happened to himself as a child and he goes to investigate the book and the symbols in it, getting drawn into the world described in the book.

message 7: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Smith | 5 comments I think that is it! Thank you so much! I had misheard him and was looking for something with the word scarlet in it! Thank you!!

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (kimiq) | 14 comments You're so welcome! (It's very good)

message 9: by Kris (new)

Here's the Google Books preview for Kim's suggestion - The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

https://books.google.com/books?id=joK... There are different cover images.

Can we mark your request as Solved?

message 10: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Smith | 5 comments Yes thank you both again for your help

message 11: by Kris (new)

Great. Thanks for the update, Tom.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Starless Sea (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Erin Morgenstern (other topics)