Our Shared Shelf discussion

Miscellaneous > The 90-Day Reading for Self Development Challenge

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha (last edited Oct 10, 2020 01:40AM) (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) This month kickstarts the 90-Day Reading for Self-Development Challenge from The Book Club 52|52: Reading for Self-development & Growth

I've made a pledge to read 12 books on business leadership and entrepreneurism during this period. I'll let you know how I get on in this thread, but if you would like to join more you can find more information here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 2: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) #1. Grit The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth

The key takeaways for me from this book are...

1). Practice and hard work is the key to success.
2). Beware of self-deception due to unconscious bias.
3). *Focus on the smaller goals to get you to your bigger goals.

*The main takeaway I will be applying from this book, but I also now have an increased awareness of self-deception.

Read this book? What were your takeaways?

message 3: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) #2. No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline

Key Takeaways: The importance of taking personal responsibility and applying self-discipline in life. I rather like the idea of creating the 'disaster report' when facing up to fears.

message 4: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) #3. The Buddha and the Badass: The Secret Spiritual Art of Succeeding at Work

Key Takeaways: This book just had so many potential takeaways that it was hard to really nail it down to just one! There are some great scientific studies presented in this book that show in life how we can be bound by our own constraints. When we become aware of this we can further our growth, which leads to goals. Goals should always be growth rather than success based!

message 5: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) #4. Mini Habits: Smaller Habits, Bigger Results

Key Takeaways: How will power (self-discipline) and not motivation drive us towards our goals. It's the smaller habits that can be the most important to form.

message 6: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) #5. Stretch: Unlock the Power of Less - and Achieve More Than You Ever Imagined

Key Takeaways: A great reminder that sometimes less is really more and 'chasing' does not get us ahead. I will be setting time limits/time frames and instead of hunting out new resources I plan to work with what ever I have got and stick to my own path - not get distracted by what others have/have done. Creativity is key.

message 7: by Vandana (new)

Vandana Sinha (runnu) Wow Trisha. This seems a useful collection. Will start with Grit. Thanks for this

message 8: by Trisha (last edited Oct 15, 2020 10:23AM) (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) 6. Brian Tracy's Eat That Frog!

Key Takeaway: Defeating procrastination by focusing on values, planning time and complete hardest most important tasks first which leads in to another excellent book that I have recently read the 5am Club

message 9: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) Vandana wrote: "Wow Trisha. This seems a useful collection. Will start with Grit. Thanks for this"

Hi Vandana, I would highly recommend Grit that sounds like a 'perfectly splendid' place to start! Do let me know how you find the book.

message 10: by Trisha (last edited Oct 16, 2020 11:32AM) (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) Weekend Read

"You are your only limit!"

The Most Powerful Woman in the Room Is You: Command an Audience and Sell Your Way to Success is my weekend read! What are you reading this weekend? 📚

If you are interested in the 90-Day Self-Development Challenge you can come join me here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 11: by Trisha (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) #7. The Most Powerful Woman in the Room Is You: Command an Audience and Sell Your Way to Success

Key Takeaway: I have read a lot of self-development books this year and this book covers a lot of similar themes, however something I will be applying is the 'Strike Method' in order to grab the attention of the audience when I am public speaking.

message 12: by Trisha (last edited Dec 26, 2020 01:45AM) (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) Sorry... I've been really busy and not got around to updating my own reading list, whoops. Here are my November and December reads!

#8. Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad OnesAtomic Habits

#9. Do Breathe: Calm your mind. Find focus. Get stuff done

#10. Ten Arguments For Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now

#11. Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us

#12. The Pink Elephants

message 13: by Dr. (new)

Dr. Nikitha | 2 comments nice collection! plus i love the takeaways too! planning on starting with Buddha and the badass :) thanks for the recommendations !!

message 14: by Trisha (last edited Dec 26, 2020 01:43AM) (new)

Trisha (trishadunbar) Thanks @Dr.

The Buddha and the Badass has to be one of my fave from the list! I do highly recommend it. I will be starting the challenge again from January and my book to kickstart the year will be...

Make Your Bed: Small things that can change your life... and maybe the world