Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Low Stakes Fantasy Adventure - swap a few chapters at a time (10 - 15k)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by matthew (last edited Oct 04, 2020 12:02AM) (new)

matthew | 13 comments I'm looking for a CP for my story. The whole story has gone through a few rounds of betas/edits so I am mostly looking for thoughts on the overall story and how well the reader can connect with the character.

I'm terrible at blurbs, but my current best effort is down below.

The trees grow a kilometer high. The city rests in the canopy and Runa is trapped at the bottom with no hope of rescue. She had always dreamed of the forest, but not like this.

Long ago, her people raised their civilization into the branches, hoping to avoid the monsters and untamed magic which dwelt below. They had avoided the bottom ever since. Funny, since it was exactly two things that had drawn Runa to the forest in the first place.

But now she will learn the difference between childish fantasies and reality.

It is time for Runa to stop playing and stop dreaming. There are only two things to do: survive and find a way home.

message 2: by David (new)

David Octavian (inziko) | 58 comments Hi Matthew - I'd love to try a swap with you! My dark fantasy novel is complete and is sitting at 152k words but I'm willing to swap an amount of words equal to the length of your story if you wish. ;)

Kindly see below info and let me know via PM/reply/email at authoromdavid@gmail.com if you're interested. Thanks. ;)

Genre: Dark Fantasy with Mystery and Horror elements.
Keywords: Atmospheric, Prophecy, Kingdom, Mysticism, Immersive, Dark

The seers and necromancers foretell a dark prophecy that shall leave the land consumed of life.
Caleb – a mercenary with a mysterious past – escapes from his tower prison and is tasked with retrieving a journal which is his world’s last hope for salvation and to stop the prophecy. There is a rift somewhere between the mortal world and the Volatile, and the seers are searching its location to seal it with the help of the journal, once found.
Meanwhile, Gabriel - an envoy of the court - is seeking to prevent a grim war that will bring ruination to his kingdom…and not only.

I can provide feedback on characters (voice, consistency, personality), worldbuilding (setting, description, exposition), plot, writing style and flow of story. A quick disclaimer: my story has some mature content. Nothing (too) triggering (hopefully). :)

Thanks in advance!