Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Fragments of Fear
This topic is about Fragments of Fear
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Group Buddy Reads 2020 > October's Group Buddy Read - Fragments of Fear by Carrie Stuart Parks

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth, Head Librarian (last edited Oct 01, 2020 12:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth | 2275 comments Mod
Good afternoon! The Group Buddy Read for this month takes on a fallish tone on the cover and a suspenseful tone in the title - Fragments of Fear by Carrie Stuart Parks!

GR Summary:
Stolen art. A New Mexico archaeological dig. An abandoned dog. And a secret that’s worth killing for.

Evelyn McTavish’s world came crashing down with the suicide of her fiancé. As she struggles to put her life back together and make a living from her art, she receives a call that her dog is about to be destroyed at the pound. Except she doesn’t own a dog. The shelter is adamant that the microchip embedded in the canine with her name and address makes it hers.

Evelyn recognizes the dog as one owned by archaeologist John Coyote because she was commissioned to draw the two of them. The simple solution is to return the dog to his owner—but she arrives only to discover John’s murdered body.

As Evelyn herself becomes a target, she crosses paths with undercover FBI agent Sawyer Price. The more he gets to know her, the more personally invested he becomes in keeping her safe. Together, they’re desperate to find the links between so many disparate pieces.

And the clock is ticking.

Chime in below if you plan on joining in on the buddy read!

Kate (liahonagirl) | 453 comments This one's waiting for me to pick it up at my library. It looks really good, and I'm excited to join in!

Christine Indorf | 364 comments I read it already, last month. I loved the book. I think all you will love it. So enjoy your reads everyone!!

message 4: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth | 2275 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "I read it already, last month. I loved the book. I think all you will love it. So enjoy your reads everyone!!"

Glad to hear that, Christine! She's a new author for me, so I'm looking forward to it.

Kate wrote: "This one's waiting for me to pick it up at my library. It looks really good, and I'm excited to join in!"

Awesome! I'll be picking it up as soon as I finish my current read. :)

Chris | 296 comments I love her books and just finished this a couple months ago. Think you will find some surprises in it.

message 6: by Camy (new) - added it

Camy (camytang) | 45 comments This looks good! I'm going to try to read this!

Karin | 213 comments I am waiting to get this from the library, and ideally will get it next week.

message 8: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth | 2275 comments Mod
This is my first read by this author - have any of you read her books before?

I'm interested in her Gwen Marcey series - it seems like it would be fun to follow the same character throughout the books.

Annie | 24 comments I just read this and really enjoyed it. I haven't read anything by this author before, but would like to read something else by her.

message 10: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate (liahonagirl) | 453 comments It was the same for me, Annie. I really liked the author's 'voice', and have put her on my list of authors-to-read.

Christine Indorf | 364 comments I read this last month and I really liked the book and the author. I ordered another book on Audible. Can't wait until I can get to it!!

Rebecca Hart | 12 comments I finished this book last night. My first book by this author but I will be reading more of her. I really enjoyed it.

message 13: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth | 2275 comments Mod
I'm so glad that you guys enjoyed it! It was an engaging story, but not a new favorite for me. I'm wondering if I'll like her series better that follows the same character? Anyway!

What did you guys think about the villain? Did that seem obvious to anyone?

The only thing I wondered about is why she divulged so much information and trusted this random person at the cemetery so quickly...but she was vulnerable and kind of alone, so maybe in that regard it made sense? Just curious as to what others thought.

Katrina Lybbert | 239 comments I actually was able to get this at my library a few days ago and so just started reading it. Excited to join in, even if a little late.

message 15: by Kate (last edited Oct 27, 2020 05:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate (liahonagirl) | 453 comments I was completely shocked by the villain. Did NOT see that coming at all!
I think there is, in our society, a tendency to immediately trust senior citizens . . . perhaps because we see them as even more vulnerable than us? Add in to that the fact that he approached Tavish when she was in a vulnerable moment already, and used the Bible as a means of wearing down any defences that might have been raised . . . I gotta say, that kind of behaviour is evil incarnate . . . *shudders*

Rebecca Hart | 12 comments I was surprised by the villain as well. I did think it odd at first that she trusted a stranger so much but still never thought he was the villain.

Katrina Lybbert | 239 comments Wow, what a read. I finished it today. It was hard to put down. I had thought when she shared so much at the cemetery that he might not be trustworthy... but still didn't expect him to be such a villain!

Karin | 213 comments I forgot to come back and comment on the book! I was in the tail end of a 10 month intense team reading game. I liked it--three stars for me, which is not bad--but I didn't love it.

Like Katrina, I didn't trust the man at the cemetery, but he was worse than I realized.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.