Love Tropes Paranormal, Fantasy, & Sci-Fi Romance Book of the Month Club discussion

Jules Crisare
This topic is about Jules Crisare
Questions for Authors > Questions for Jules

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jules, Love Tropes Author (new)

Jules Crisare | 19 comments Mod
If you haven't grabbed Broken Alpha yet, you can grab it here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X3NCLL5 (If you don't have an Amazon account or prefer an epub, drop me a message on Goodreads and we'll work something out).

Post your questions for Jules here.

You can ask just about anything and I'll answer just about anything!

message 2: by Cassandra, Admin Extraordinaire (new)

Cassandra | 16 comments Mod
Ok guys questions about Broken Alpha starts today. So I’ll start off!!!
Jules how did you come up with a griffin for Vixen’s animal?

How did you decide on the setting of War?

And how did you come up with the legend’s? Were they based on anything in particular?

message 3: by Jules, Love Tropes Author (new)

Jules Crisare | 19 comments Mod
Cassandra wrote: "Ok guys questions about Broken Alpha starts today. So I’ll start off!!!
Jules how did you come up with a griffin for Vixen’s animal? How did you decide on the setting of War?

And how did you com..."

Great questions!

Okay, I needed an explanation for why she was so good at her job. And in one version, I had the General and Bray knowing each other and the General asking Bray to help Vixen. (Originally, Finley was pulled from basic training by the General and he played a much bigger role, as did the fighting between shifters and humans.)

In that version, everyone knew she was a latent, but Vixen. And she was going to be a wolf, just like the others. Except... her voice in her head was so different from the others. When the time came to give Vixen her wolf in the current version, I knew it wouldn't work. She's so big, she needed something as big. I considered a dragon, but it didn't feel right.

Now, in my writing hopper I have a YA Contemporary Fantasy that has a group whose insignia is a griffin. Or was. I ended up changing it because it was uncomfortably close to some other fantasy series and if changing the insignia eliminated the appearances of a similarity, I was fine with it. But I had a lot of images of griffins around. I happened across the folder looking for something else and found this image. If that's not Vixen, I don't know what is...

Once I saw the image, I just knew Vixen was a griffin and was always meant to be.

As for why I used War. I knew Broken Peak was going to be in the Appalachians. That was set in stone because of the history of shifters and where my original inspiration came from. The Knights of the Golden Circle, which was a secret society and I totally disagree with it, but legend says they buried caches of gold and families were set to protect the caches https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights.... In the Silver Sentinel Universe, the Sentinels of the Silver Orb are the small packs set to protect either caches of gold or strategic locations for when the war comes between shifters and humans.

Appalachia is really unique in that it's really separate from the US and is steeped in its own legends and culture and language and music. If shifters did exist, the Appalachians would be part of their history. I am certain of that.

I needed a town that was close enough to DC, close to some biggish state parks, and all but forgotten. It's tiny (population less than 1000) and poor. The perfect place for shifters to hide. And it was close enough to Harrisonburg so they could shop at Costco.

That Maggie's story was inspired by the Hare Krishna murders in Moundsville, was a happy coincidence.

As for the Legends. They're all part of shifter history and Mac's family is the keeper.

For a culture to live in secret with fear of being discovered, they must have legends of protectors. Of shifters so strong and powerful, they would save the shifters from extermination. Dragons, Griffins, the mythological creatures. But they're so big (both figuratively and literally), I imagined they faded away.

And this is where the legends come in, like latents. Shifters and humans mate, but have latents. Animals that never fully wake. What if the stories weren't told to scare shifters away from mating with humans, but to remind shifters it happened. So, even if the dragons and griffins died off, they had descendants in the form of latents, waiting for the right time and circumstance to re-emerge.

Broken Bond introduces the journals, which are filled with hints, and Broken Disciple starts revealing some of the hints, like the prophecy. And Broken Empire will introduce shifters being revealed and the birth of the Sentinels of the Silver Orb. It also introduces the third wise man (Mac and The General are 1 and 2). Shifters aren't the only supernaturals in the world, but they are the most prolific. Shifters in the City hinted at mind wipers (basically sorcerers) and there are also immortals or pseudo vampires, think The Comte de Saint-Germain.

I have a lot of notes and myths, but I am hesitant to put them in the books because if I have to change something, it will lead to retconning a lot. I've already changed a lot from my original plotting. But I am more than happy to share them here, so ask what you want about the legends and I'll answer with what I have at the now. :)

Here's a link to the images that inspired Vixen: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dyn6e and here's Bray: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2Nz0J

message 4: by Isobelle, Love Tropes Author (new)

Isobelle Cate (isobelle_cate) | 4 comments Mod
Sorry, I'm late in commenting.

I love the fact that you made Vixen a griffin. I didn't see that coming! I'm also intrigued about the General and Leighton. I think Leighton's story is deep. I still haven't read the rest of the series but will definitely do!

message 5: by Rebecca, Love Tropes Author (new)

Rebecca Hefner | 13 comments Mod
Are there any women in your life who inspired Vixen? She's an awesome character!

message 6: by Cassandra, Admin Extraordinaire (last edited Oct 24, 2020 08:24AM) (new)

Cassandra | 16 comments Mod
ANNOUNCEMENT- as some of you know I’m in a group with Jules-Shifter Central on Mighty Networks. On Thursday she let us all know that she has tested positive for COVID even though she has been taking all of the safety precautions from the CDC. She said her symptoms have been moderate and that she was having some trouble breathing. Last I heard she was very tired. She said that she was going to make an announcement here and send out a newsletter yesterday, but the newsletter didn’t go out, I don’t know why, I hope to hell that she’s just getting the rest she needs. I did not hear from her at all yesterday. Please do post your questions. I’m sure she will love to have them waiting for her when she feels better. PLEASE PLEASE BE SAFE OUT THERE EVERYONE

message 7: by Rebecca, Love Tropes Author (new)

Rebecca Hefner | 13 comments Mod
Oh, no! Sending her so much love and positive energy!

message 8: by Isobelle, Love Tropes Author (new)

Isobelle Cate (isobelle_cate) | 4 comments Mod
Cassandra wrote: "ANNOUNCEMENT- as some of you know I’m in a group with Jules-Shifter Central on Mighty Networks. On Thursday she let us all know that she has tested positive for COVID even though she has been takin..."

I'm so sorry to read this. Sending Jules lots of love and healing thoughts. Wishing her a speedy recovery!