Reading the Detectives discussion

The Clocks (Hercule Poirot, #30)
This topic is about The Clocks
Poirot Buddy Reads > Poirot buddy read 35: The Clocks

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9201 comments Mod
Just setting up the threads for this month, going with Jessica's master list. :)

There are two Poirot books for October! This one has an intriguing plot:

As instructed, stenographer Sheila Webb let herself into the house at 19 Wilbraham Crescent. It was then that she made a grisly discovery.

No spoilers in this thread, please.

message 2: by Susan in NC (last edited Oct 01, 2020 07:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3038 comments I thought this was fun - didn’t remember reading it years ago, just the Suchet tv dramatization - so fun to reacquaint myself. I read and listened to the audiobook, excellently narrated by Hugh Fraser (even when Hastings isn’t in the plot, you get to hear him!) some convenient coincidences, another later entry by Poirot, but satisfying and fun to go along with the local inspector as he interviews the denizens of the Crescent following a bizarre murder. Poirot puts it all together, of course, so I get my Hercules fix along with a twisty puzzle - I’m satisfied!

Frances (francesab) | 396 comments I've also read and enjoyed this one-great secondary characters I thought.

Tara  | 822 comments I think I would have enjoyed this more if it was either a classic Poirot mystery or a standalone thriller that did not feature him. It felt forced somehow, even though I think overall it was a good book. I did like the bits about Poirot reading mystery novels, and to hear what were probably Christie's thoughts on those writers.
I also loved the passage describing the overrun bookshop, as though the books were multiplying of their own accord. Just the type of shop I could get lost in for days on days.

Sandy | 2896 comments Mod
I'm not very far into this, but it is quite a dramatic opening. I am listening to it and enjoying "Hastings".

Bicky | 332 comments One of the best Christie openings.

Jessica | 367 comments Thanks for setting things up! Only today realized it was october already ...

message 8: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9201 comments Mod
Jessica wrote: "Thanks for setting things up! Only today realized it was october already ..."

No worries Jessica! It's been such a strange year...

Jessica | 367 comments Ugh indeed Judy!

But now I’m enjoying myself with this mystery again. Had to listen to the first chapter a couple of times, but after that it’s off to a running start.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie | 11 comments I read this title 20 years ago. I am forever grateful to this book as it was the only book I had with me on a camping trip where it RAINED every day for three days. I might have gone mad in my tent without this book to keep me company. Haha.

Jessica | 367 comments Hm I must say I’m very confused. Whilst reading I was having a perfectly good time and then the ending came and well ... it didn’t live up to my very high Poirot standards.