Outdoor Conservation Book Club discussion

Encounters with the Archdruid
This topic is about Encounters with the Archdruid
Book of the Month Discussions > Encounters with the Archdruid (Oct 2020)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Sep 30, 2020 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rachel | 206 comments I picked this book because I've read several of John McPhee's books and all have been fascinating. This one tells the (nonfiction) story of environmentalist David Brower (aka the Archdruid) and his interactions/conflicts with 3 "ideological enemies": a mineral engineer, a real estate developer, and Floyd Dominy and the US Bureau of Reclamation. I'm curious to see how these stories play out, as the book is written in 3 parts with each part focusing on 1 conflict. I expect I will also learn a lot about the struggles faced by people trying to save wilderness, the outdoors, the environment, etc.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Powell (mikepowell) | 45 comments Enjoy this month’s book everyone. For at least the start, I will not be joining this time around. I had put down Where the Wild Things Were last month to pick up Winter World while I could get it on ILL. So, I am going to pick WWTW back up again. Happy reading!

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Powell (mikepowell) | 45 comments My guess is that Rachel’s review is going to “talk” me into wanting get after this one soon too though. 🙂

Rachel | 206 comments I've read part 1 so far, with David Brower and the mineral engineer, that takes place in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. It's basically their philosophical conversation about wilderness vs technology, conservation vs preservation, that kind of thing. I found the debate interesting, and something I often find myself contemplating. I found the format of the writing to be a little basic but also simultaneously easy to read. I'd say so far so good! Not my favorite of McPhee's books so far, but I'll report back when I'm done!

Rachel | 206 comments Michael wrote: "My guess is that Rachel’s review is going to “talk” me into wanting get after this one soon too though. 🙂" Haha I'll do my best! :) Enjoy finishing Where The Wild Things Were - I look forward to your review when you're done!

Rachel | 206 comments I actually didn't think this book was very good, after all. David Brower aka the Archdruid was definitely an interesting person and I'm interested in the work that he did. However the writing style and the verbal ping pong that was most of this book and a lot of the points was exhausting. Not my best book club pick actually!!

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Powell (mikepowell) | 45 comments Sorry that it was somewhat disappointing. As far as your picks go, you still have an excellent track record from what I can tell. Getting one on the low end of the spectrum was bound to happen. :) And with that note, I will take it off of my to read list. :)

Rachel | 206 comments Michael wrote: "Sorry that it was somewhat disappointing. As far as your picks go, you still have an excellent track record from what I can tell. Getting one on the low end of the spectrum was bound to happen. :) ..." Thanks Michael for the nice words :D