2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE - Mod Stuff > Yearly Theme 2021 Nomination Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Oct 08, 2020 03:06AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4650 comments Hi Everyone!

Preparations for 2021 have begun and we need your help to choose our next yearly theme! Throw your ideas down below! The nomination will run until October 22nd and I will make a poll for you all to vote on.

Previous themes are not eligble for nomination:

2017 Around the World
2018 Reading Through Time
2019 Books to Stage & Screen
2020 Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

message 2: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5605 comments To get the ball rolling, I would like to suggest "Women of the World" as the yearly theme for 2021.

message 3: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 1080 comments I'd like to suggest 'A Better World' as I think after 2020, 2021 needs to be better in a whole range of areas.

message 4: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6727 comments While I love the idea of focusing on women, that’s been nominated already. I would suggest “Diversity Makes Us Better”.

message 5: by Nusha (new)

Nusha | 30 comments I would like to suggest 'embracing the change' as the theme of 2021. I feel that's what a lot of us will be doing after the year we have had. we will be trying to adjust in our new normal.

message 6: by Carmen (last edited Oct 01, 2020 06:29AM) (new)

Carmen | 4745 comments I'd like to add a touch of colour suggesting "Fruits and Vegetables", taking into account that the 74th Session of the United Nations General Assembly has declared 2021 as the International Year of Fruits and Vegetables. The resolution is the latest in a series of actions taken by the UN to support agriculture and healthy nutrition.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Palmer | 358 comments I second Nusha's idea of "embracing the change". I like the idea of looking forward to change with a positive attitude!

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Ray | 605 comments I'm going to second "A Better World" mostly because I like the idea that we can make the world better through what we gain in our reading.

message 9: by Fadi (new)

Fadi Kharoufeh (fadireads) | 67 comments I am going to third "A Better world" mainly because with books you can dive into any world you like, without anyone telling you not to...

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments I have to admit (even though I love the theme this year) I was a bit bummed the "Literary Awards" theme wasn't chosen for this year, so I'd love to see it for 2021 :)

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt | 117 comments I like Literary Awards!

message 12: by AurorainBookland (last edited Oct 01, 2020 04:37PM) (new)

AurorainBookland | 336 comments Rainbow theme, Rainbows come after a storm and are a symbol of positivity and diversity

Or come together, book club type theme because the group feels like a book club.

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanjaginev) | 6 comments I also nominate "A better world"

message 14: by Kerrie (new)

Kerrie Hurrell | 87 comments I'd love to pay homage to those fur family members and critters who have kept us company in lock down or entertained on Social media "Our animal companions"

message 15: by Mireia (new)

Mireia AB | 1 comments I also nominate "A better world"! I think it is a great theme for 2021, as we hope it will be better than 2020.

message 16: by Gin (new)

Gin | 4 comments 'Reading through the decades'. Either books set or published in a set decade or a pre-determined number of books set or published in a number of decades.

message 17: by Gin (new)

Gin | 4 comments Mireia wrote: "I also nominate "A better world"! I think it is a great theme for 2021, as we hope it will be better than 2020."

I like this...

message 18: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 242 comments All those comments about change and a better world remind me of something...
After the first and second World War, people wanted change. That's why we now have the UN and the European Union! Sad that one of its first members decided they could do without the others...

I nominate: International Cooperation/ Friendship.

message 19: by Vandana (new)

Vandana Sinha (runnu) I would like to second - Reading through the decades. Maybe a book from a 100 years ago, and one from 2020.

message 20: by Yana (new)

Yana Khalid | 14 comments I would also like to nominate “ A better World”

message 21: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3255 comments Some great ideas! I really like "A Better World"

message 22: by Ketutar (new)

Ketutar Jensen | 74 comments I like all your ideas better than my own!
I was thinking about "Minorities Around The World", especially indigenous people and minority languages. But that fits the diversity theme.
Also "Learning From History" or "A Stranger in a Strange World"

message 23: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Samuelson  (bookaddict30) | 4 comments Holiday Themes would be cool to see

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 640 comments Giant Meteor

message 25: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments There's so many great ideas! I like "A Better World" & "embracing change"

message 26: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3160 comments Marc wrote: "Giant Meteor"

This made me laugh 🤣

message 27: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 953 comments I will second "Literary Awards."

message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol Palmer | 358 comments Ruthie wrote: "There's so many great ideas! I like "A Better World" & "embracing change""

I think these 2 could be combined -- they both are looking at the future in a positive light. I already seconded "embracing change" before "A Better World" was posted, but I would second "A Better World" also!

message 29: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 740 comments The End of the World

The Last Days

Be prepared

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...

message 30: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne Ruczhak-Eckman | 10 comments Love the Women of the World suggestion.
My suggestion - after this year - either a "We have Survived" kind of theme or a "It's the End of the World as We Know It" theme.

message 31: by Delaney (new)

Delaney (delaneyrice) | 48 comments Going off of Carmen's theme idea, the UN has also named 2021 as the international year of "Peace & Trust" which I think could be an interesting theme.

message 32: by AurorainBookland (new)

AurorainBookland | 336 comments Sheila wrote: "Holiday Themes would be cool to see"

Holidays around the world maybe? Or a travel theme?

message 33: by AurorainBookland (last edited Oct 02, 2020 05:00PM) (new)

AurorainBookland | 336 comments I think a cozy positive theme sounds great could be anything as long as its positive

message 34: by AurorainBookland (new)

AurorainBookland | 336 comments Delaney wrote: "Going off of Carmen's theme idea, the UN has also named 2021 as the international year of "Peace & Trust" which I think could be an interesting theme."

Peace theme sounds good

message 35: by Eileen (new)

Eileen  | 190 comments AurorainBookland wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Holiday Themes would be cool to see"

Holidays around the world maybe? Or a travel theme?"

I like holidays around the world! :)

message 36: by Hunter (new)

Hunter | 1 comments Hey anyone read a good book that is based in a snow environment?? a scifi/ fantasy any genre. Would really help thanks :)

message 37: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5605 comments Hunter wrote: "Hey anyone read a good book that is based in a snow environment?? a scifi/ fantasy any genre. Would really help thanks :)"

Hi Hunter!
This is a thread for nominating a yearly theme for 2021.
You will have better luck getting books suggestions by posting your question in the Let's Chat thread. Good luck!

message 38: by Nea (new)

Nea (neareads) | 31 comments Revolution

message 39: by Tania (new)

Tania | 952 comments There was such a struggle this year around school - schools shutting down, schools struggling to get back up and running, decisions having to be made about virtual vs in-person school, etc; perhaps we could have a school or education theme like "Schools & Classes" or "Students and Their Teachers"

message 40: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed Hassan | 1 comments what about " Readosophia"
means the more u read more u gain wisdom
just like, Philosophia " love of wisdom "

message 41: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 18 comments Hunter wrote: "Hey anyone read a good book that is based in a snow environment?? a scifi/ fantasy any genre. Would really help thanks :)"
I just finished One by One by Ruth Ware One by One It takes place in a French Alps ski resort where an avalanche takes place and guests disappear one by one. I gave it 3.5 stars.

message 42: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (swones) | 4 comments With the summer Olympics postponed from this year to 2021 how about Olympic Tales and Heroes?

message 43: by Karen (new)

Karen O I'd like to suggest "Lives of Artists." This can include fiction, nonfiction, memoir, etc. and it can relate to any kind of arts.

message 44: by Garvit (new)

Garvit Shubham (garvireads) | 4 comments I second embracing the change

message 45: by Karin (new)

Karin | 200 comments I like holidays idea

message 46: by Travellinckx (new)

Travellinckx  (asmayanikusrini) | 2 comments Hi I am new here. It's interesting subject. I would like to try "Stay Sane" . It can include fiction as well as non fiction

message 47: by Ursula (new)

Ursula | 2 comments Karen wrote: "I'd like to suggest "Lives of Artists." This can include fiction, nonfiction, memoir, etc. and it can relate to any kind of arts."

I like this topic!

message 48: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 306 comments There are so many wonderful ideas here.

With that being said, I would like to second "Our Animal Companions."

message 49: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine | 355 comments I like the animal theme. It was up for nomination last year and I hope it will win this year!

message 50: by Libby (new)

Libby S Millar I love a better world as well!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.