The County Library discussion

Reading Challenges > 2020 October Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bethsmash) | 856 comments Mod
On National Today’s website it says that October 9 is Leif Erikson day, which celebrates, “Norweigan explorers, the spirit of discovery, and the contributions of Norwegians in America.” You can celebrate Leif Erikson day by reading a book about Vikings. It can be fiction or non-fiction, and aimed at any age range. For those of you who enjoy non-fiction, you might like these titles Meet the Vikings by Alex Woolf, or Guts & Glory: The Vikings by Ben Thompson, or The Age of the Vikings by Anders Winroth. If you’re more of a fiction reader, check out Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton, Voyage with the Vikings by Marianne Hering, or “The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell.

Happy reading.

message 2: by Greg (last edited Oct 17, 2020 07:10AM) (new)

Greg (danceyeah) | 205 comments I read The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay.

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1009 comments I'll be reading Dragon Stew by Steve Smallman

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1009 comments Quickie question: Are Interlibrary loans available yet or are they still waiting? I know many of areas of the country don't even have minimal library services open.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Right now ILL is not available.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Does anyone need suggestions? I'm a little surprised that more people haven't spoken up. We will find you awesome nonfiction or historical fiction to read on this topic.

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 118 comments I may or may not get to the challenge this month. If I do, I was thinking of reading the first of the Magnus Chase series by Rick Riordan -- Norse mythology. I racked my brain for what I already had that might work, and that's what I could come up with. Not a lot of Vikings in my personal library.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Carolyn wrote: "I may or may not get to the challenge this month. If I do, I was thinking of reading the first of the Magnus Chase series by Rick Riordan -- Norse mythology. I racked my brain for what I already ha..."

That works for me. Remember, as long as you think something fulfills the challenge, it does. :)

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1009 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Right now ILL is not available."

Thanks!

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda | 191 comments If I have time, I am going to read How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2) by Cressida Cowell . I have a lot going on right now and I know It will be a fast read.

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1009 comments Linda wrote: "If I have time, I am going to readHow to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2) by Cressida Cowell. I have a lot going on right now and I know It will be a fast read."

I love the How to Train Your Dragon movies! I'll have to look for these books!

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda | 191 comments Debbie wrote: "Linda wrote: "If I have time, I am going to readHow to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2) by Cressida Cowell. I have a lot going on right now and I know It will be a fast read."

I love the How to Train Your Dragon movie..."

There are a lot of them. LOL

message 13: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 167 comments I'm reading Women of the Dunes. There's an archaeologist on a dig in Scotland, fascinated by a legendary Viking age woman probably connected to the church she's excavating, and the chapters alternate between her and said Viking woman.
Other books I considered were The Normans: From Raiders to Kings, The Children of Ash and Elm: A History of the Vikings, and Fin Gall.

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1009 comments I have finished Dragon Stew by Steve Smallman. It was a quick, fun read. My favorite part was how they got away from the attacking giant squid!

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 89 comments I read Odin's Family byNeil Philip for this challenge. It was a collection of Norse Myths that talked about the god's that the vikings worshipped. I am also working on The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson, but it is a lot longer and a slower read so I don't know if I will finish it before the end of the month. I'll let you know.

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda | 191 comments I was able to get 2 books in. I read How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2) by Cressida Cowell by Cressida Cowell and So You Want to be a Viking? by Georgia Amson-Bradshaw
Both were fun reads.

message 17: by Audrey (new)

message 18: by Marcia (new)

Marcia | 4 comments New to the challenges but I am excited to start participating in some fun on Goodreads. I'm a horror buff so I will have to hunt something Viking themed down.

message 19: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 376 comments I'm reading to the latest Harry Dresden book, and it does have some Viking/Norse stuff in it.

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Hey guys. Can you believe it's almost October 31? Only a few more days. If you have finished the challenge don't forget to let me know what you've read. Remember, you have to finish by October 31.

message 21: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 118 comments I didn't finish anything for the challenge this month, but I enjoy seeing what others have chosen. Looking forward to seeing what the challenge is next month.

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 89 comments I just finished The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson. It was a long but interesting read.

message 23: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dashforcover) | 1009 comments Deborah wrote: "I just finished The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson. It was a long but interesting read."

This was the basis of the 1964 film The Long Ships starring Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier. I've always loved the story but didn't know it was based on a book. I'll have to add this to my "books that became movies" to read list!

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Congratulations to our October 2020 prize winner! Deborah read The Long Ships to complete the challenge!

message 25: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 89 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Congratulations to our October 2020 prize winner! Deborah read The Long Ships to complete the challenge!"

Thanks! It has been a lot of fun doing this challenge