Play Book Tag discussion

Educated
This topic is about Educated
September 2020: Psychological > Educated by Tara Westover - 4.5* (round up to 5*)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Doughgirl5562 | 767 comments Wow. Just …. wow. This book has been sitting on my nightstand for a year since a friend read it and passed it on to me. Frankly I put off reading it because I don't gravitate towards best sellers. And this memoir by a woman who grew up in a survivalist fundamentalist Mormon family was a big best seller.

But this book deserved to be a best seller. Tara Westover's story of her own survival, education and journey to self awareness is an eye opener and education for the reader also. There were so many takeaways that i think this book is going on my keeper shelf for future re-reads and reference.

message 2: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5686 comments I agree. This is definitely a book that I'll want to reread some day. The growth in her self-awareness was amazing. Her education and intelligence were evident in everything she wrote. She was honest and open about her experiences, even the embarrassing ones. My heart goes out to her. Despite the massive success of her book, life can't be easy for her.

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1386 comments I've been avoiding this one because well, I live in Utah, so the events took place right in my backyard. And, I'm Mormon so I'm not sure I've wanted to read about her family's issues as they'll probably make me mad since that's not how our faith actually believes or functions. But, the main reason I've been avoiding it is I'm worried she was abused and I'll have to read about it and it will trigger my PTSD from my own abuse. But, I am curious as I've heard her story everywhere.

Doughgirl5562 | 767 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "I've been avoiding this one because well, I live in Utah, so the events took place right in my backyard. And, I'm Mormon so I'm not sure I've wanted to read about her family's issues as they'll pro..."

Jenni, I don't know a lot about the Mormon faith, but one branch of my family is Mormon so I know a little. (My aunt converted back in the 70s, so it's her very large family.) My impression of the faith has always been a positive one with a focus on family.

Tara Westover's family is Mormon, but their dysfunctionality comes mostly from the father's extremism, survivalism and psychological issues and not from practicing the Mormon faith.

But yes, there is abuse. No sexual abuse if that makes a difference. I didn't find it difficult to read those parts because it wasn't the entire story, and I knew that the author made it out and has a different life now. But then I've never been abused, so I don't know if it would be a trigger for you.

Robin P | 1922 comments The author stresses that her family were not typical Mormons. They didn't associate with the mainstream Mormons (or anyone else for that matter!) An amazing story, which you wouldn't believe if it was fictional.

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1386 comments Thanks for clearing that up, both of you. I have a hard time with sexual abuse so her abuse will probably not trigger my PTSD. This one does sound interesting and I may end up reading it.