Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Humorous novel based on true story

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seb (last edited Sep 27, 2020 08:54PM) (new)

Seb (seb_s) | 2 comments I'm looking for a CP and/or BR for feedback on re-writes of humorous novel based on a true story. The book is ~65k words but I’d ease you in with first chapters, ~5k words.

The narrator shares the story of his estranged high-school friend, wondering how the Argentine middle-class hustler voted “least likely to succeed” as a teen, joined the international jet set and became buddies with billionaires and world-famous celebrities (which would not be cool to namedrop here). Was he a master manipulator with incredible psychological insight? An unrecognized genius? Or was it just dumb luck, or his destiny, perhaps? Were there lessons to be learned from his success?

I envision the book as a contemporary rags-to-riches story, with hints of a roman á clef peeking into the private life of the 0.0001%, and either a satirical or an earnest addition to the self-improvement canon – hoping insightful feedback will help define that. Thank you!

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt | 11 comments Hey, care to swap first chapters? I have a sci-fi comedy I'm looking for help with.