Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Self-Promotion > How to decide on the author name?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Iris Hunter (new)

Iris Hunter (InstagramREADS) (anteenix) | 44 comments Hi,

I am ready to publish my first urban fantasy series. But what to do about my author name? I am from Europe but most of the fans are from USA. Do I keep my real Dutch name 'De Jager' (translation: hunter) or change it for USA to english 'Hunter' ? What do you think? Let me know! Iris

message 2: by Cozen (last edited Sep 25, 2020 11:54AM) (new)

Cozen | 472 comments Iris (InstagramREADS) wrote: "Hi,

I am ready to publish my first urban fantasy series. But what to do about my author name? I am from Europe but most of the fans are from USA. Do I keep my real Dutch name 'De Jager' (translati..."

I’m a simplist (sorry that’s not a real word) but I find simple, easy to remember, and very easy to spell is preferred by me. Mainly because when I do a search on GR or Amazon, if it isn’t spelled right or if I put a comma, period, or any punctuation that comes with a name not all searches will result. 100,000 search results and not one contains the exact words/name I type. Very frustrating. So for me, in my opinion, go with Hunter. It’s simple to spell. That point is especially important for someone like me that has issues with spelling.

Oh, and it’s short. Nothing worse than trying to search for an author’s books when the name is long and along these lines: Sarah MacCharisma-Fitzgerald Kline Smith. No. Just NO.

In the end, it really doesn’t matter what region of the world you’re in (as long as the target readers can actually read it). But that’s just my point of view.

message 3: by Cozen (new)

Cozen | 472 comments P.S. Hunter also kind of goes with the Paranormal Romance genre a bit more than historical Romance, eh?

message 4: by Iris Hunter (new)

Iris Hunter (InstagramREADS) (anteenix) | 44 comments Cozen wrote: "P.S. Hunter also kind of goes with the Paranormal Romance genre a bit more than historical Romance, eh?"
Thank You

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Schanz (jeffschanz) | 18 comments If it's for simplicity, I'd consider keeping De Jager. When you search author: Hunter, you'll get 15 pages of author names before anyone can locate you. If they search for Jager, might be shorter list. Jager is also cool sounding, IMO.

message 6: by Iris Hunter (new)

Iris Hunter (InstagramREADS) (anteenix) | 44 comments Jeff wrote: "If it's for simplicity, I'd consider keeping De Jager. When you search author: Hunter, you'll get 15 pages of author names before anyone can locate you. If they search for Jager, might be shorter l..." Yes that is true. Al lot of Hunters al already typing away in these genres. Don;t know if it their pen name or real one tho LOL.

miscellaneous  (theevilqueenofmischief) | 144 comments Hi Iris.

Cozen has a point about searching for an author's name with specific punctuation and lots of add-ons being difficult, but I think your name "De Jager" is pretty straightforward so don't foresee a problem.

What I do find annoying, and as everybody knows I'm not easily annoyed (ha!) is when authors use one or more names when they publish, because I have no way of knowing it's the same person, which makes it more difficult to find more books by that author.

I once wrote a glowing 5 star review and raved about the two authors who collaborated on a book and produced a gem! As I rather embarrassingly found out later, with many a chuckle by my fellow reviewers, it was the same author using two different names. Definitely a "doh!" moment on my part!

That said, when us ParaRom fans hear the word "hunter", our ears perk up, we get all warm and furry inside, some start howling at the moon, so that may be a compelling name for one of your characters.

Best of luck to you!

message 8: by amalibydesign (new)

amalibydesign | 2 comments I think Hunter de Jager (hope I spelled that correctly) sounds cool. It definitely sounds like someone from a mystical forest. Just keep writing down names until something resonates off the page.

message 9: by Jali (new)

Jali Henry | 2 comments This might be a bit left-field but what about Hunter Jagger? It's very memorable and sounds both cool and also genre appropriate. You could go with the original spelling of Jager but I think Jagger will be more easy to remember for English-speaking people and also sounds a bit like Dagger which makes it sound dangerous - perfect for paranormal. When I google "Hunter Jagger author", I get a book called 'Jagger's Revolution' by Kevin Hunter but it's in a completely different genre, plus, not well known, so it's fine.

message 10: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Molvanie | 2 comments Amali wrote: "I think Hunter de Jager (hope I spelled that correctly) sounds cool. It definitely sounds like someone from a mystical forest. Just keep writing down names until something resonates off the page."

I totally agree with this combination

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria Vale (mariavale) | 44 comments Were you going to keep your real first name (a good idea)? if so, there is already an 'Iris Hunter" who writes dark romance. Publishers will tell you to keep your name short so it is more legible on the spine, so maybe 'Iris Jager'?

message 12: by Iris Hunter (new)

Iris Hunter (InstagramREADS) (anteenix) | 44 comments Thank you all for your advice. This is so hard. And I want to to it right on the first try. I decided to use Iris Marie Jager or Hunter de Jager. I will also ask the Penguin Books to see what they advice.

message 13: by miscellaneous (new)

miscellaneous  (theevilqueenofmischief) | 144 comments I have a question for authors.

Why would an established author publish under two different names? Wouldn't that confuse your followers?

message 14: by Maria (new)

Maria Vale (mariavale) | 44 comments miscellaneous wrote: "I have a question for authors.

Why would an established author publish under two different names? Wouldn't that confuse your followers?"

A lot of writers do, usually because they write in different genres. They often have different websites and different newsletters.

I really appreciate it. I like Shelley Laurenston's PNR a great deal, but love her fantasy written under G,.A, Aiken. I'm glad to know which one is which.

message 15: by miscellaneous (last edited Oct 02, 2020 07:52PM) (new)

miscellaneous  (theevilqueenofmischief) | 144 comments "Maria wrote: A lot of writers do, usually because they write in different genres. They often have different websites and different newsletters".

That's true, Maria, but I don't understand what the purpose is, or how it benefits the authors or their readers.

message 16: by Cozen (last edited Oct 02, 2020 08:32PM) (new)

Cozen | 472 comments miscellaneous wrote: ""Maria wrote: A lot of writers do, usually because they write in different genres. They often have different websites and different newsletters".

That's true, Maria, but I don't understand what th..."

Sometimes a writer writes in a more erotic tone and needs to distance themselves from that perception when they write in another genre. I believe Sophie Jordan did this, though not 100 percent sure.

How would you feel reading an erotic book written by J.K. Rowlins? Would you like to find out how many children may accidentally buy that book thinking it was a children’s book? Also J.K. Rowlins did write under a different name when entering a writing contest. She wanted people to judge her for her writing and not because who she was. The same can apply for doing that in the general sense.

P.s. Miscellaneous, glad you’re not totally hermetically sealed in Tupperware and that you are still out and about in GR. 😌

message 17: by miscellaneous (last edited Oct 06, 2020 04:58PM) (new)

miscellaneous  (theevilqueenofmischief) | 144 comments "Cozen wrote: How would you feel reading an erotic book written by J.K. Rowlins?"

Good point, Cozen. I suppose the author who wrote about Harry Potter wouldn't want to be associated with Hairy Putter, so I see how Erotica would compel a writer to publish under two different names, but what about the other non-penile genres?

"Glad you’re not totally hermetically sealed in Tupperware and that you are still out and about in GR. 😌"

No Tupperware yet. Just a bit of Saran Wrap and the latest in tinfoil hats. Good to see you too!

Corona The Truth Is Out There GIF