Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > October 2020 Reading Plans

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (last edited Sep 25, 2020 09:08PM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4143 comments Mod
BOTM for October
1. Popular Vote: Summer Will Show
2. Randomizer: The Master

TBR: # 19

4th Quarterly Read. October, November, December
Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens, Host Valerie

Annual Read: The Journey to the West, Volume 1 (Jan - March)
Volume 2 April - June
Volume 3 July - September
Volume 4 Oct to December
(Feel free to read as fast as you want)

Your Group Admins:
Diane Zwang (Cafe Mom): in charge of special events through the year.
Book Worm: in charge of the participation points, Randomizer (the lady that throws the dice), etc. Also runs a blog. Busy lady
Kristel: BOTM, general housekeeping and fill in where needed.

Needed moderators for our BOTMs. Unless I missed a volunteer?
What will you be reading in October?

message 2: by Kristel (new)

I don't have any volunteers for moderating our BOTM yet. I will try to put something together if no one steps forward by tomorrow.

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 478 comments I can moderate for The Master, by Colm Toibin.

message 4: by Kristel (new)

Thank you Jamie

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 478 comments Gosh, it really is almost October. My plans for the 1001 list this coming month include
The Master, by Colm Toibin - moderating and reading as BOTM
Our Mutual Friend, by Charles Dickens
The Leopard, by Giuseppe di Lampedusa (my TBR Takedown pick for October)
Gormenghast, by Mervyn Peake (halfway done, won't finish by the end of Sept.)

I'd also like to get to
The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde
Trainspotting, by Irvine Welsh
Fury, by Salman Rushdie
I've also been reading a lot of crime/spy thriller classics, so I may finish a few more of the books in that genre that are on the 1001 list.

message 6: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1419 comments I have high hopes of reading both BOTMs and my TBR, World's End, starting Our Mutual Friend and finishing Book 2 of our annual read!

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 610 comments Pip wrote: "I have high hopes of reading both BOTMs and my TBR, World's End, starting Our Mutual Friend and finishing Book 2 of our annual read!"

I hope you (and others!) can join in with Our Mutual Friend. So far, I've found it very engaging and readable.

message 8: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 954 comments I'll start with my TBR (Cataract by Osadchy) and then will read both BOTMs. If I have some spare time at the end of the month, I will start the quarterly read (Our Mutual Friend), one of the rare Dickens I haven't read yet.

message 9: by Kristel (new)

My October plans are always too full.
My tbr takedown is Vice Consul - Duras, (book)
I hope to read Summer Will Show (book).
My book club read is The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires, book/audio, I am hosting this one.
Magic Mountain (half done)
Start Our Mutual Friend. Read more on the annual read and I still would like to read The Golden Notebook.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Dawn | 1113 comments There's some big ones that I've put down for October, so hopefully it goes well for me lol. My city just went into red alert again and libraries have closed, so everything is back to ebook or personally owned. I'm planning to read:

1) TBR: a virgin in the garden (audio)
2) BOTM: summmer will show (ebook)
3) BOTM: the master (ebook)
4) former annual catch-up: outlaws of the marsh (ebook- 1/3 of the book)
5) randomiser: green henry (ebook)
6) Quarterly: our mutual friend (audio)
7) and a random collection of personally owned books and audios (likely 120 days of sodom, of love and shadows, tropic of cancer, none but the brave)

message 11: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1414 comments I am going to try for both BOTM
My TBR which is Blind Owl
From my Random list: Tarr
Also, I have read My Mutual Friend and Martin Chuzzlewit is on my Random list so I am going to treat Martin like a quarterly read.
And of course the Great Sage Equalling Heaven....which very strangely gets better and better
Also, Amanda has inspired me to read Sea of Fertility, which is four complete books for only one spot on the 1001 list. I am just finishing up book 3 The Temple of Dawn.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Dawn | 1113 comments Gail wrote: "Also, Amanda has inspired me to read Sea of Fertility, which is four complete books for only one spot on the 1001 list. I am just finishing up book 3 The Temple of Dawn."

Nice! You're almost done too then :)

message 13: by Kristel (new)

Hey all, in November we start picking out our next years quarterly read. Keep that in mind as you ponder reading those chucksters.

message 14: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2009 comments Mod
I will be reading both BOTMs and hopefully my TBR but I have a feeling it might be a chunkster - The Monastery by Walter Scott