The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Debates & Discussions > Does this group read non-fiction?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt (ledge) I just joined this group. I am curious to know whether the monthly challenges ever include nonfiction reads, or just fiction? If nonfiction is included, what sorts of nonfiction is it, and how often?

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Sep 23, 2020 06:10PM) (new)

Kristie | 5197 comments Hi Matt! Welcome to the group. For the monthly challenges, you can read whichever book you choose that fits the tasks. However, I'm guessing that you're referring to our group reads (BotMs). Those can be nonfiction, but it is mostly fiction that is nominated. The books are nominated and voted on by members.

Take a look around the group. There are plenty of places to participate even if nonfiction is your preferred genre. You can use those books for the challenges, start a buddy read to discuss them, or nominate them for the group reads.

We are voting on a theme for November now. You can find the poll here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/2...

message 3: by Collette (new)

Collette Greystone | 7 comments Hi Matt,

I love to read non-fiction! I’m part of this group if that helps....Maybe we can influence November theme as Kristie suggests above! Maybe we can can do a non-fiction challenge or our own botM?

message 4: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 534 comments ive never read non fiction and Im curious to try it out but im lacking motivation. maybe this might just be the right time. since I'm pretty much ignorant I'll go ahead with any suggestions.

message 5: by Vandana (new)

Vandana Sinha (runnu) | 40 comments What interests you Leena - self help, economics, society, journalism........
There are very interesting reads there. if you want to read a slim book try Who Moved My Cheese or Tuesdays with Morris.
I began with those:)

message 6: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 534 comments ive actually read Who moved my Cheese and loved it. so ill surely try out Tuesdays with Morris

message 7: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 534 comments what do you read Vandana?

message 8: by Vandana (new)

Vandana Sinha (runnu) | 40 comments The non fiction that I am half way through is Upheaval. It talks if how nations deal with crisis. Makes for very interesting read.
and Homo Sapiens is another non fiction very interesting read.
But generally I am catching up with the best sellers non romantic fiction works of recent times. and those short listed for various awards. as well as the award winning books

message 9: by Matt (new)

Matt (ledge) Collette wrote: "Hi Matt,

I love to read non-fiction! I’m part of this group if that helps....Maybe we can influence November theme as Kristie suggests above! Maybe we can can do a non-fiction challenge or our own botM?"

Hello Collette,

I'm new to this group feature on GoodReads. Do you mean that we would do a non-fiction reading challenge together? How does that work?

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

message 10: by Matt (new)

Matt (ledge) Leena wrote: "ive never read non fiction and Im curious to try it out but im lacking motivation. maybe this might just be the right time. since I'm pretty much ignorant I'll go ahead with any suggestions."

Like Vandana said, it depends on your interests. Some nonfiction I have read recently which I have enjoyed includes Armchair Economist: Economics & Everyday Life on economics, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change on self-improvement, The Hiding Place: The Triumphant True Story of Corrie Ten Boom on a family who helped save Jews during WW2, and The Hero With a Thousand Faces on the relationship between the stories we tell and human psychology. Maybe one of those can be a place for you to start, if they interest you.

message 11: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 534 comments thanks Vandana and Matt I shall surely start with one of these recommendations.

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 145 comments I do read some nonfiction. But to ne honest Matt I don't come to this group for non fiction. I get my ideas for my next reads from various sources. This group tends to read more modern fiction.

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5197 comments If you want to start a buddy read, you can go to this thread to see if anyone else is interested in reading the same book as you: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Then, you start a thread in this folder with the book as the thread title to discuss: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

You can agree to read any books you want there and that way if someone else is interested they can join you in the discussion.

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5197 comments Just a little heads up for the nonfiction fans - I am planning to start a nonfiction discussion thread for Nonfiction November. We can all discuss the current nonfiction books we are reading there too. I will probably post it mid-October.

message 15: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 534 comments Great. looking forward to it.

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5197 comments In case anyone is looking for this thread, I'm moving this thread over to the discussion folder.

message 17: by Collette (new)

Collette Greystone | 7 comments Matt wrote: "Collette wrote: "Hi Matt,

I love to read non-fiction! I’m part of this group if that helps....Maybe we can influence November theme as Kristie suggests above! Maybe we can can do a non-fiction ch..."

Hi Matt,
Sorry for the time lapse! I’ve been searching other groups to see if there is a non-fiction group. This groups seems like a lot of fiction - which I also like and plan to stay.

I don’t know if you saw the post Kristie made, but she explained how we could start a non-fiction thread. I’m going to look at that to see if it is something I am interested in doing.

Collette

message 18: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 214 comments I can't speak for the group. I myself just do not read non-fiction.

message 19: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 534 comments Hey Collette would appreciate that

message 20: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 145 comments In one of my other groups we have a group of us that that read a quarterly non fiction book. Its a buddy thread. You could try that here.