MCLS Recommends! discussion

What's on your library card?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathykyle) | 4 comments Mod
Right now (among other things), I have "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks, "Emma" by Kaoru Mori, "Extras" by Scott Westerfeld, and "Candyfloss" by Jacqueline Wilson. I own (and am reading right now) the "Complete Popeye" and "Crank" by Ellen Hopkins.
Do you ever have trouble with your eyes being bigger than you have time to read? I guess one of the downfalls of being in a smaller library is that often I'll check out and return books. In the process I'll find a bunch of books that I want to read... but never enough time to do it. :)

message 2: by Bob (new)

Bob | 2 comments Mod
Perpetually, I wish I could read a book a day. I just took out The Yiddish Policeman's Union for the third time, which is up for an Edgar Award, a Nebula Award, and now a Hugo Award. Perhaps third time's the charm....

message 3: by Pat (new)

Pat | 1 comments I always have way too many books on my card and I'm always returning, re-checking, renewing--the new 3R's. Right now I'm reading Jodi Picoult's Change of Heart for me and have a pile of YAs on my desk for me too.

message 4: by Cathy (new)

I'm still trying to finish Emma, Extras and Crank...

message 5: by Bob (new)

Bob | 2 comments Mod
Black Postcards by Dean Wareham (Luna, Galaxie 500)
The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic Book Scare by David Hadju

message 6: by Va (new)

Va | 2 comments Well I am struggling through a whole slew of romances which is the current genre the MCLS Adult Librarians are exploring. Not my usual choice...
BUT I am also reading Who's your City?: how the Creative Economy is Making where to Live the most Important Decision of your Life by Richard Florida.
This is a fascinating discussion of the changes taking place in the where of economics and employment growth. And yes, Rochester is mentioned a number of times and is located in the 5th largest mega-region!

message 7: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 1 comments I have also being regularly using the 3r's (returning, rechecking, renewing). Right now I have In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, High Five (Evanovich), Spring Cleaning, and Tragedy of American Compassion checked out. All of these looked great when I got them out, but then I got sidetracked by a book received for my birthday - Fourth Tenths of an Acre: reflections on a gardening life by Laura Lisle. With the emerging of young green things in my garden, I couldn't help but pick the book up.

message 8: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Pettinelli | 1 comments Mod
Pat, The 3Rs--ha! Of course, I use the 3Rs all the time.

Right now, I'm reading The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray. It's the third in a trilogy, and I'm loving it, but I am going to be so glad when it's done since the books are huge and I keep reading them instead of doing stuff like vacuuming my house. I'm also reading a collection of McSweeney's humor essays when I only have a few minutes to read something. I love the title: Created in Darkness by Troubled Americans. I also got approximately five million ARCs at PLA. Plus I bought some books while I was traveling (among which is another McSweeney's collection). Plus I still have stuff checked out on my card (Avalon High by Meg Cabot, Waiting for Normal by Leslie Connor, The White Mountains by John Christopher, Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman). It's bad.

message 9: by Cathy (new)

I finally sat down last night and finished reading through the Emma series (2-5). I must admit that I cried quite a bit... okay a lot. I had to avert my face when my husband came into the bedroom because he would have teased me to no end.
It was really good, although there was some unnecessary (although well drawn) nudity in the fourth book. Now I'll have to plant a warning label somewhere. Sheesh. The illustrations were gorgeous and the storyline was amazing, so I highly recommend it.

message 10: by Regan (new)

Regan Fairley (reganf) | 1 comments I have like 40 books oout right now lol.