Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Troubled Blood (Cormoran Strike, #5)
This topic is about Troubled Blood
Group Read- Troubled Blood > Group Read - Troubled Blood part three Spoilers Welcome

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Discussion topic - spoilers welcome - for part three chapters 15-30 of Robert Galbraith's Troubled Blood.
If the first to post, please briefly summarize to guide the discussion, thanks!

message 2: by Ann (last edited Sep 19, 2020 10:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Spoiler summaries for Part three Chapters 15-22 of Troubled Blood.
___ Chapter 15
Aunt Joan's chemotherapy has put her in the hospital. Robin runs the team monthly meeting while Strike is in Cornwall. Morris resists Robin's directive to stop wining and dining Shifty's assistant and her efforts to locate her half of the witness list finds four are dead and she reaches out to their children. She hates the new perfume and discovers mention in the book, The Demon of Paradise Park (about serial killer Creed) that another book alleges Margot went to an abortion clinic just before her disappearance.
___ Chapter 16
Robin and Cormoran compare notes and discover Strike's copy didn't mention the abortion angle. Oonagh Kennedy and Roy Phipps blocked publication of the book mentioned and later editions removed mention of it.
___ Chapter 17
DI Talbot's son gives Strike his father's only surviving notebook and admits his father was obsessed with the occult before his breakdown.
___ Chapter 18
Robin's divorce lawyer insists she and Matthew need to try mediation which Robin knows will do no good. Matthew is too intent on ruing and hurting her. The practice cleaner, Wilma's daughter refuses any contact with Strike or Robin, but Strike has found Janice the nurse and Irene, one of the receptionists who will talk to them on Saturday. (Strike's 39th birthday)
___ Chapters 19 and 20
Strike hopes no one remembers his birthday but they do including a rare birthday card from his father. Robin's thoughtful card nd gift of replacement headphones is welcome. The interview of Janice and Irene reveals much about how they both had lied about their alibis but didn't seem to implicate them though the boisterous overbearing Irene is still lying about something and didn't like Margot at all.
___ Chapters 21 and 22
Robing and Strike discover that DI Bill Talbot's notes are full of astrology details. He apparently was using alibi's for dates of Creed's abductions and suspect's horoscopes to eliminate them.

message 3: by Ann (last edited Sep 26, 2020 04:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Spoiler summaries for Part three Chapters 23-30 of Troubled Blood
___ Chapter 23
Robin's brother and sister-in-law have a baby girl; she finds a copy of the blocked book. Before meeting with Oonagh Kennedy, Sarah Shadlock's fiance Tom calls shouting in anger she didn't tell him of the affair Sarah had with Matthew and Strike's aunt Joan takes a turn for the worse.
____ Chapter 24
Oonagh Kennedy...reveals what Margot was like, her abusive relationship with Paul Satchwell and meeting Roy who wasn't much better just different in his approach. This was a disturbing interview as much of what Oonagh tells them had not been written down by Talbot or apparently followed up on. Oonagh suspected Paul Satchwell, the artist who hit Margot, had nude photos of her and she had some "pillow dream" secret of his and he had been asking her out again just three weeks before her disappearance and Margot had refused.
___ Chapter 25
Strike reads more of the book. Discovers Paul Satchwell had a business relationship with the printing business on the top floor of the building where Amanda White reported a sighting of possibly Margot banging on the window. The photos in the book were pretty awful but insightful.
___ Chapter 26
Morris, then Barclay then Strike get the flu. Robin flushes out the postcard sender walking around the gallery holding the same three postcards sent from there. Brilliant, now to identify her. Gregory Talbot gives Strike a 16mm film canister of his fathers, who asks Robin to come back to watch it.
___ Chapter 27
Strike shops disastrously for Robin while delirious from flu. Shanker warns Strike away from pursuing the gangster he'd spotted in the GP practice Christmas party photo
___ Chapter 28
Robin despises Strike's salted caramel chocolates gift (why must he lean so far backwards to avoid a personal gift) Robin goes home on the train, peaceful and happy to be there until news that Matthew brought Sarah home for Christmas too right down the street. Apparently her family believes Matthew's assertion he is the aggrieved party and her new baby nephew cries constantly.
___ Chapter 29
Cormoran is sick as a dog in his attic room with an empty refrigerator. Pat sweetly brings up the projector, film canister and chicken soup. The film is a horror. The soup a life saver. Outdated chicken eaten days later results in food poisoning for days. Charlotte texts and is ignored.
___ Chapter 30
Robin is miserable at home, baby paraphernalia everywhere, crying from colic, Matthew and Sarah sightings, and Pictionary! Drunk, Robin succumbs to Morris' equally drunken, maudlin texts until he send a nude body part photo. Understandable explosion.

message 4: by Ann (last edited Sep 23, 2020 07:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments I'm sorry for my slowness in posting the chapter summaries for this part. I wish i was off work this week so i could find more time for reading. And then I look back here and realized I skipped posting my notes for the end of this part. Here now!
Kathleen and Sybotes: I wanted to add comments here about another potential reason to tie in the birthday to the astrology aspects of Talbot's case notes.
Lol it does seem like everybody is having birthdays. I agree the passage of time, and especially with a forty year old case ties in with birthdays. " where were you 40 years ago?" I am happy to see the slight but noticeable thawing between Pat and Strike.

Sybotes mentioned the multiple birthday occurrences and Kathleen commented on the part two thread:
Kathleen wrote: "I wonder if all of the birthday references are part of an overall theme concerning the passage of time -- the old case, birthdays, illness and death."

message 5: by Sybotes (last edited Sep 24, 2020 08:34AM) (new) - added it

Sybotes | 36 comments No need to be sorry, Ann. The only thing I pity that the chunks are so large. "Legally" I should not yet read or write in this thread beacuse I have not yet finished part three. I went for the risk of being spoilered.

At least I can see now what you mean with the birthday references. Maybe Kathleen is right with her passage of time, hm ... I do not appreciate that much such musings like rocking one's wise head and chanting "Oh time, time, time, how time does pass!" I still have the impression that the main purpose of these birthdays is the illustration of Strike and Robin's relation. The astrology thing is just too queer for being taken seriously.

Sometimes I have the impression as though the habits and "chemistries" in Strike and Robin's office are mirroring Margot's practice - in my head I imagine Pat and Dorothy like the same person; Margot trying and "teambuilding" similar to Robin ... Stupid, I know ...

message 6: by Sybotes (new) - added it

Sybotes | 36 comments Now that Oonagh woman is so sweet. I hope we won't learn she was lying all over! As a matter of fact - only with her testimony I started to become really interested in Margot's case. Finally she starts to be a person who is worth our interest and compassion!

message 7: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Sybotes: so true! Oonagh's insights helped bring Margot to life.
Galbraith's choices for the introduction of Margot through the eyes of people who didn't know her well, or not personally, left us on the outside, almost like looking at a photo. First Anna, who mostly knows "of her", and colored by her father's distorted opinions, then Dr Gupta, a colleague, probably a kind man, but apparently not a close friend. The portrait of Anna is building.
I think Strike or Robin said something similar after their research deepened their perspectives. Another birthday reference possibility. It serves to point out that Margot disappeared before either of them were born!
My first deeper connection to Margot was when the dynamic in the GP office, and from people in general was not supportive of a female doctor; a reminder of the prevailing sentiments forty years ago. She started to be more than "Anna's missing mother".

Sybotes wrote: "Now that Oonagh woman is so sweet. I hope we won't learn she was lying all over! As a matter of fact - only with her testimony I started to become really interested in Margot's case. Finally she starts to be a person who is worth our interest and compassion!..."

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Sybotes: I have done the same lol when I've not finished reading a segment! Squinch my eyes half shut and skim, then comment. The book is so long I would hate to have ten parts, i think i am going to split part four up though..
Very insightful to connect the characters of Pat and Dorothy. I can see it now though i like Pat better. I also felt a tug towards Galbraith's paralleling the office dynamic of the GP practice to that of the detective team, especially as Strike considered Morris as not respecting Robin or fitting in with the team well no matter how qualified.

Sybotes wrote: "No need to be sorry, Ann. The only thing I pity that the chunks are so large. "Legally" I should not yet read or write in this thread beacuse I have not yet finished part three. I went for the risk..."
"Sometimes I have the impression as though the habits and "chemistries" in Strike and Robin's office are mirroring Margot's practice - in my head I imagine Pat and Dorothy like the same person; Margot trying and "teambuilding" similar to Robin ... Stupid, I know ...

Karly | 339 comments Oonagh definitely helps round out Margot’s character and makes her feel more real.

The Strike/Robin relationship dynamic has also already had some interesting ebbing and flowing. I felt like it really jumped out of the gate strong with some of their internal dialogue at the beginning of the book and now we’re in a low spot. It’s interesting/frustrating when you read how a situation takes different meaning and perspective when viewed from both their viewpoints. The chocolates for Robin for Christmas for example.

Plus, so much of the confusion or frustration the characters feel comes from not talking openly with the other, they seem to still have barriers up that maybe they don’t need to have. I find myself saying to myself things like “come on why can’t you share that!” Like the call Robin gets from Tom, and there’s been several moments of Strike just being grumpy and Robin asking if he’s okay and he says he’s fine.

message 10: by Sybotes (new) - added it

Sybotes | 36 comments You are right, Karly - ebbing and flowing. But I am grateful for that: No need boy meets girl and in the end they are "happy forever" - because they won't be - and I want another couple of novels.

But it is sad - he cares for her and is just not the person who finds good gifts ... she always fears people wouldn't trust her with tasks if they know her temporary insecurities. But that is what I like in Rowling's style. It is not an easy "he is just stubborn ..." - I really can understand them both, I might shout like Karly "come on why can’t you share that!" - but actually I believe that I could behave just the same, silly as it may be.

Now I am becoming really scared. Strike, keep away from Ricci!!! A warning from Shanker is not supposed to be ignored. I am shuddering that I left the convenient part of reading behnind.

Karly | 339 comments The Ricci of it all definitely adds a whole other layer! I want him to take Shankers advice seriously but I’m sure he won’t!

message 12: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Karly: Agreed, this doesn't feel like a red herring; and even though the connection to the gangster is not fleshed out (yet?) it seems ominous. Either Strike or Robin will be likely to ignore Shanker's advice.

Karly wrote: "The Ricci of it all definitely adds a whole other layer! I want him to take Shankers advice seriously but I’m sure he won’t!"

message 13: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Sybotes and Karly: I want more novels too! And if it takes "ebbing and flowing", and maddening misunderstandings and a persistent and stubborn lack of communication so be it.
Lol, he is seriously terrible at buying gifts - but it's because he is resisting and second guessing all the right instincts for perfect presents after the first fabulous green dress left him feeling vulnerable. (I can picture that dress in my mind, sigh - lol)
Sybotes- another insightful comment about Robin's insecurities. She does a good job most of the time hiding them, but they are there.

Sybotes wrote: "You are right, Karly - ebbing and flowing. But I am grateful for that: No need boy meets girl and in the end they are "happy forever" - because they won't be - and I want another couple of novels.
But it is sad - he cares for her and is just not the person who finds good gifts ... she always fears people wouldn't trust her with tasks if they know her temporary insecurities. But that is what I like in Rowling's style. It is not an easy "he is just stubborn."

Bonnie | 466 comments My current thinking is all the Creed is a nasty story I really don't enjoy reading about and a red herring thing about Margot's disappearance, so I hope he is less prevalent in the story soon.

message 15: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Bonnie: yes, agreed, less Creed is fine by me, his is a very evil story part.
Bonnie wrote: "My current thinking is all the Creed is a nasty story I really don't enjoy reading about and a red herring thing about Margot's disappearance, so I hope he is less prevalent in the story soon."

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Sybotes wrote: "Now that Oonagh woman is so sweet. I hope we won't learn she was lying all over! As a matter of fact - only with her testimony I started to become really interested in Margot's case. Finally she st..."

Sybotes, I was going to write this very thing. With the interview with Oonagh I became completely drawn into the story and looking forward to creating time in my busy schedule to push through. She was completely charming, and I loved her view of Margot as a friend. I felt sad for her that she lost this bestie.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Karly wrote: "Plus, so much of the confusion or frustration the characters feel comes from not talking openly with the other, they seem to still have barriers up that maybe they don’t need to have. I find myself saying to myself things like “come on why can’t you share that!” Like the call Robin gets from Tom, and there’s been several moments of Strike just being grumpy and Robin asking if he’s okay and he says he’s fine..."

Yes me too, I'm always giving Robin and Strike great advice about sharing their feelings, LOL. But that's part of the story arc of a romance in the making like this. I wonder if Rowling has in mind exactly when in the series she is going to allow them to acknowledge their feelings to each other. I just hope it doesn't ping-pong back and forth with misunderstandings and fights once they do. THAT will drive me crazy.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Ann wrote: "Karly: Agreed, this doesn't feel like a red herring; and even though the connection to the gangster is not fleshed out (yet?) it seems ominous. Either Strike or Robin will be likely to ignore Shanker's advice...."

Yes to Sybotes, Karly and Ann. We have not seen the last of this gangster mention, I am sure. {sigh}

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments I wonder if anyone else has trouble with those complicated drawings from the first policeman's diary. I pause when I come across them but I just can't make sense of them AT ALL. I wonder if we're even supposed to other than the references Strike and Robin make to them. I wonder, how much time did she spend coming up with those intricacies? She is amazing.

message 20: by Ann (last edited Nov 26, 2020 02:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Carol: I blamed it partly on the Kindle app small screen as I read and listened alternately, but agree the intricacies of the diary were beyond my attention span. She is amazing.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I wonder if anyone else has trouble with those complicated drawings from the first policeman's diary. I pause when I come across them but I just can't make sense of them AT ALL. I wonder if we're even supposed to other than the references Strike and Robin make to them. I wonder, how much time did she spend coming up with those intricacies? She is amazing
."

message 21: by Sybotes (new) - added it

Sybotes | 36 comments I really think these drawings were a bad idea of good old Galbraith. They just don't belong in a novel, and they made no sense for me,
(What might be useful sometimes is a map. I really could not understand completely Margot's walk to the pub; where were the phone cells, where was that girl who said she had seen her, where has the van been seen? - But that would be difficult because considering whether or whether not some way would have been a detour changes with the increasing information about the case altogether, so better not, here again.)
What I needed to understand Talbot's I got from the verbal descriptions in the text anyway, not from watching those weird pictures.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Sybotes wrote: "What I needed to understand Talbot's I got from the verbal descriptions in the text anyway, not from watching those weird pictures...."

Agreed. After the first diagram I gave up trying to make sense of them. I think Rowling was being self-indulgent with them. Which is certainly her right, LOL

message 23: by Ann (last edited Nov 30, 2020 08:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Sybotes: I love when books include a map! Your point here is valid, one version of a map wouldn't illustrate the progression through the array of clues as they were revealed. Still. I was longing for a map when Strike was looking across the street and getting ideas. (And making Robin and us wait on his thoughts)

Sybotes wrote: "I really think these drawings were a bad idea of good old Galbraith. They just don't belong in a novel, and they made no sense for me,
(What might be useful sometimes is a map. ...but that would be difficult because considering whether or whether not some way would have been a detour changes with the increasing information about the case altogether, so better not, here again.)
.."

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Troubled Blood (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert Galbraith (other topics)