Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Quarantine Tuesday Reading Kaffeeklatsch - 9/15/2020

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Sep 15, 2020 12:52AM) (new)

Theresa | 7585 comments I was late last week, and a bit early this week. Want to try finishing my cozy mystery before bed, and tomorrow is going to be a long tough work day.

Soooo....some of us have some mini-vacations coming up. I booked 4 days in Mohonk in October ... a splurge but what else am I spending money on these days? The autumn colors shoukd be gorgeous, and I booked a Victorian room with a working fireplace and a rocking chair filled balcony with a view of the mountains. I just need to get away from all of it, especially work. If interested, take a look: www.mohonk.com. I have been more than once..it is a 1.5 hour bus ride from NYC.

There is so much to worry all of us, I feel a need to make sure I relish the small moments of joy...a book sent by a friend, a call fom a colleague to say hi, hearing about others vacations or family celebrations. A friend had her first baby 6 months ago today...during COVID. She is from Colombia, her family living there. Her mother was already here for Ben's birth, and ended up having to stay a couple extra months, but because of COVID her father only met and held his grandson for the first time today. The photo she posted of the moment on FB today showed such joy and love, its glow lasted for hours for ne. His mom is a reader, and she assures us that Ben has a tall TBR Tower or two already.

I had an interesting conversation last week with a client, the one whose closing I had in the hot room with men exposing their noses. My client is a doctor, noted for his dermatology work helping maintan beautiful skin. Lots of clients in fashion and celebrities. He was not working for months, and was worried that COVID would kill his practice as it is a luxury what he does and incredibly expensive. Yet he is marveling at how busy he is, booked way ahead. I said that people feel a need to pamper themselves, treat themselves well. Plus none of us are buying theater tix, dining in fine restaurants, attending sporting events, or going on expensive vacations. That money can go to treating yourself to some pampering.

So revel in the small delights and treat yourself well.

message 2: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1919 comments Enjoy your vacation!

message 3: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3824 comments Thanks for all the love on last weeks thread guys, sometimes some extra support goes a long way.

While this week has been absolutely exhausting, we are doing better here- air quality is around the 300-400 level- which is a HUGE improvement from what it was earlier (around the 500-600 level). We're nowhere near finished, with fires only around 5% contained, and lots of loss- but again, the community support has been huge. We treated ourselves to wings last night because the restaurant was donating 25% of all sales to Red Cross Wildfire relief funds for the local area.

I 100% agree with Theresa's sentiments- enjoy the small delights and treat yo'self. I've been "treating myself" a lot lately.

message 4: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2970 comments Enjoy your vacation, Teresa. It sounds lovely.

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7783 comments Joi wrote: "I 100% agree with Theresa's sentiments- enjoy the small delights and treat yo'self. I've been "treating myself" a lot lately."

I just treated myself to some new clothes. Even though I am not battling a crazy fire nor do I necessarily have any place to wear said new clothes.

message 6: by Sallys (new)

Sallys | 289 comments Ooh. Enjoy Theresa. That sounds wonderful!!!

message 7: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1546 comments I treated myself to some new sweatshirts and sweatpants. I figure if I'm going to be working from home through the winter I might as well do it in comfy clothes.
Enjoy your vacation next month Theresa. I'm glad things are improving a bit Joi.

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7986 comments I treated myself to some books this week. I rarely buy books anymore, sad right? Just not in the budget anymore. However, there have been days since March that I have done online shopping due to boredom-This is what I have treated myself to since March

2 lovely summer dresses (I almost always wear a dress or skirt in the summer)
2 lovely bottles of Pinot Grigo(did not last long)
A new floor lamp
New tennis shoes-so very pretty they are covered in small summer flowers

And Miss Lola got a comfortable Cone of Shame-made of a soft material. Most unfortunate that she quickly chewed through it and had to return to the standard plastic one from the doctor. The good news is the cone came off last week, thank god, and the healing is nearly complete. She is bouncing around like the pup she thinks she is, so her new parts are working very well.

message 9: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1600 comments Ok guys...

I'm asking for some major positive vibes coming up!!!

1. My old man dog (15 yo) is at the vet today having a couple of skin tags removed. I'm sure it's all going to go well but he's going to be a bull in a china shop with the Cone of Shame later. We normally do a soft one, but since the spots are on his face, we are going with the big hard one and it's going to be ridiculous.

2. My colonoscopy is schedule for Mon. I'm nervous but I'm glad that I'm doing it.

3. I have an interview with Amazon!!! It's scheduled for Fri Sept 25th and they were really proactive on getting it scheduled which I think is a really good sign. I'm perfect for it! It's a role that deals with a very niche set of skills that I happen to have on contracting and contract lifecycle management. I've hired a career coach and I'm spending the next week+ preparing.

Enjoy your vacation Theresa!

Joi - I'm glad it's getting better there! We actually saw blue skies yesterday!! But today it's not the best and they put out new alerts this AM.

Rachel and Nicole - I'm right there with you... as soon as I have a paycheck, I'm treating myself to new soft and comfy clothes!!!

I never stopped buying books, I just didn't buy as many as I wanted... but if I get a job at Amazon and have a discount... well...

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7986 comments Charlotte-first off All the positive vibes in my world going your way for the job!

Second-oh we just went through the cone syndrome, so girl I feel for you! Bull in a China shop does not even begin to describe it. Miss Lola started pounding her head against the wall at one point and then staring me down-LoL-funny but really scary too!

message 11: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3824 comments Fingers crossed for you, Charlotte!!
Also yay for us being instagram friends!

message 12: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1600 comments Joi wrote: "Fingers crossed for you, Charlotte!!
Also yay for us being instagram friends!"

Yep!!!

message 13: by Theresa (last edited Sep 16, 2020 03:31PM) (new)

Theresa | 7585 comments Charlotte! So excited for you on the interview! Sounds like you have all the right energy for the interview!

Now, I think you and Joanne should set up a Zoom session for Miss Lola and your Old Man pup so she can give him pointers on instilling guilt in his humans while wesring it.

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7251 comments Theresa wrote: "I was late last week, and a bit early this week. Want to try finishing my cozy mystery before bed, and tomorrow is going to be a long tough work day.

Soooo....some of us have some mini-vacations ..."

Wow, the photos are LOVELY. I hope you get some good views even though I haven't really notice any fall colours yet here.

message 15: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7251 comments Charlotte wrote: "Ok guys...

1. My old man dog (15 yo) is at the vet today having a couple of skin tags removed. I'm sure it's all going to go well but he's g..."

Wow, so many things! I hope all goes well with your interview and also with that fasting, etc (and that you get positive results with Amazon but negative results with the colonoscopy) and that your old man dog survives the cone of shame with minimal stress.

message 16: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8716 comments Charlotte, good luck to you, and your dog with the cone!

message 17: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7251 comments Also, to those of you with new clothes, it feels great, doesn't it?

As for me, I am very nearly recovered from a few stressful moments last week, the worst of which was an appointment for my Aspie that went south very quickly since the DR was NOT a good fit for her. I will say no more. But we still have to find a solution for that.

message 18: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1919 comments Charlotte wrote: "Ok guys...

1. My old man dog (15 yo) is at the vet today having a couple of skin tags removed. I'm sure it's all going to go well but he's g..."

On the colonoscopy, I have used a product called Moviprep instead of the gallon of drink that most people take. It’s still not pleasant but you have to drink way less of it. It might cost more but they often have coupons and I thought it was worth it.

message 19: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1600 comments Robin P wrote: "On the colonoscopy, I have used a product called Moviprep instead of the gallon of drink that most people take. It’s still not pleasant but you have to drink way less of it. It might cost more but they often have coupons and I thought it was worth it...."

Aw thank you! I'm actually not worried about that part. In a step into the TMI, I already have issues with my intestines "working properly" so the am use to taking this type of product. I'm use to the taste and my doctor isn't having me do it all at once. That's the one think I'm not worried about lol!

message 20: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1600 comments Thank you all!!! On to some good news!!!

Ol' man Bender escaped the Cone of Shame this time around!! The put 3 staples in his face and they were able to cauterize the tag on his leg. The tech said now that the face one isn't oozing, he should leave it alone. Apparently, when they finished Bender and were walking back, he spied a super comfy bed in the area where the tech works and claimed it. We were told that he hung out with the tech the rest of his time there and may or may not have gotten a bite of his lunch. LOL!!! He was definitely out of it last night and would get upset if my husband and I were not in the same room with him.

I did some digging and research and found out the guy that I'm interviewing with at Amazon next week has mutual connections on LinkedIn. I reached out to a couple of them and found out that he supported the group that I use to be on when I was a vendor at Microsoft. While there I helped develop functionality for digital contracting and this guy was part of the team that helped people in the field use it (landing). My former Microsoft boss and co-workers have offered to reach out to him to sing my praises or to be a reference!!!! Yay!!! I have over a week to prepare so I'm going to build my "STAR" stories all around the tool that we both worked with and the people that he knows!

message 21: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7986 comments Theresa wrote: "Charlotte! So excited for you on the interview! Sounds like you have all the right energy for the interview!

Now, I think you and Joanne should set up a Zoom session for Miss Lola and your Old Man..."

wouldn't that be a hoot🤣

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8943 comments Charlotte! That sounds really terrific that you have mutual tools and connections in common. All energies point to a really great opportunity for you! Keeping my fingers crossed! Feels right! You get them girl!

message 23: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1919 comments Wow! Lots of great news for you and your canine buddy! Kind of funny that if I met you in real life I might be intimidated by your career and expertise. We are all equal here.

message 24: by Meli (last edited Sep 17, 2020 09:09AM) (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3449 comments I have been so busy at work so I haven't been able to get into Goodreads as often as I was, or would like. I typically would jump on during work but too busy and stressed. Should slow back down toward the end of the year though and I do prefer to be busy.

Have read a couple books and keep forgetting to post my reviews!

@Joi - completely forgot you were out that way, but glad to hear it is getting better.

@Charlotte - wow! a lot going on, sending all the good vibes *^_^*
Glad to hear your puppers is doing well! And also good news about the job connections!

As for treating myself, I got a new 2021 planner from Hobonichi, it is a cult. Went with the Cousin this time. I had an original first and a Megaweeks this year but I don't like horizontal planning. I also have a Jibuntecho for work that I love which is why I am trying the Cousin in 2021. Pretty pumped about it. (This is likely all Greek to anyone who isn't a planner addict)

message 25: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8716 comments Charlotte wrote: "Thank you all!!! On to some good news!!!

Ol' man Bender escaped the Cone of Shame this time around!! The put 3 staples in his face and they were able to cauterize the tag on his leg. The tech said..."

That's all great news, Charlotte!

message 26: by Sallys (new)

Sallys | 289 comments Struggling with remote teaching. I had to start remote with kids I never met before. Add to that that they have learning challenges. I absolutely love teaching and love this age- preteen, but feel so frustrated and actually lay awake nights planning lessons I think will work. Ugh.I keep reminding myself how lucky I am to have a job.

message 27: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7585 comments Sallys wrote: "Struggling with remote teaching. I had to start remote with kids I never met before. Add to that that they have learning challenges. I absolutely love teaching and love this age- preteen, but feel ..."

The school situation is just impossible all around. I heard from a client that there was an announcement today that NYC staggering school openings in the schools over several weeks. Haven't caught up on the official announcement.

message 28: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7251 comments Theresa wrote: "Sallys wrote: "Struggling with remote teaching. I had to start remote with kids I never met before. Add to that that they have learning challenges. I absolutely love teaching and love this age- pre..."

Here and in the tiny state next door, they started letting special needs kids go 4 days a week because remote learning wasn't working. They are hoping to eventually let kids with surnames A-M attend in person M & T and the other kids Th and F, but who knows when it will happen. Well, that's what our school district is hoping to do. It will all be livestreamed, of course. It's a way to keep social distancing.

message 29: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7251 comments Charlotte wrote: "Thank you all!!! On to some good news!!!

Ol' man Bender escaped the Cone of Shame this time around!! The put 3 staples in his face and they were able to cauterize the tag on his leg. The tech said..."

These are great things to hear :) !!!