Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Compilation book

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4543 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

Hi the above compilation has been published under this author's new name only. But the books in the compilation were originally individually published under the author's original name.

Do I have to put the author's first name on the compilation?

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13653 comments But it is not a new work.

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13653 comments It is a compilation of old works. Every title in that compilation was first published under the author's old name.

message 4: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 1441 comments lethe wrote: "It is a compilation of old works. Every title in that compilation was first published under the author's old name."

But we don't combine the compilation with the individual books. So why would we put the old author's name on this book?

message 5: by lethe (last edited Sep 12, 2020 03:49PM) (new)

lethe | 13653 comments Because the titles it contains were first published under the old name?

I don't think it is just a question of being able to combine. To me, it sounds logical the old name should be primary, but since there is disagreement, I may be wrong. Hopefully rivka will give a ruling.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4543 comments Yes, without a rivka ruling I will take the passive approach & not put this on the author's original profile.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41972 comments Mod
Unless this work was published under the older name, there is no requirement to add that name as an author. (Certainly not as primary.)

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13653 comments Thanks for the clarification.