Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

Really Useful Stuff > Picture of Horry?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4173 comments Mod
Not that I mean to imply that Horry was anything like the notorious Lady Worsley in character!

This portrait was painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds around 1775/6 & other than the lack of straight eye brows, this is exactly how I picture Horry looking!

This site http://www.georgette-heyer.com/chron.... has The Inconvenient Marriage set in 1776.

message 2: by Sheila (in LA) (new)

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 344 comments Nice find, Carol. I've always felt I could find an image of Horry, if I took the time to look.

message 3: by Jenny (last edited Sep 11, 2020 08:55PM) (new)

Jenny H (jenny_norwich) | 635 comments Could be, couldn't it!
But I've always imagined her as on the cover of the hardback, though that artist too has bottled out of portraying the eyebrows.

Barb in Maryland | 654 comments Jenny wrote: "Could be, couldn't it!
But I've always imagined her as on the cover of the hardback, though that artist too has bottled out of portraying the eyebrows.

"

Nooo! Too old! Horry is only 17 when the book starts.
Re: the famous eyebrows. I imagine that, once Horry was a married woman, the tweezers came out and the brows were tamed a bit.
I always pictured Horry as a young Audrey Hepburn c. mid-1950s when heavy dark eyebrows were in fashion (from 'Funny Face' maybe?)

message 5: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) Or Helena Bonham Carter in Room with a View - very eyebrowy, and young.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny H (jenny_norwich) | 635 comments Barb in Maryland wrote: "I imagine that, once Horry was a married woman, the tweezers came out and the brows were tamed a bit..."

It was the fact that they didn't arch that was the problem, not the volume: and we're told that nothing they could do would induce them to arch.

message 7: by Jackie (last edited Sep 12, 2020 12:15PM) (new)

Jackie | 1208 comments yes, the photo has them arching and she sure looks older than 17! course, that wig...

Barb in Maryland | 654 comments Jenny wrote: "Barb in Maryland wrote: "I imagine that, once Horry was a married woman, the tweezers came out and the brows were tamed a bit..."

It was the fact that they didn't arch that was the problem, not th..."

I was thinking of making them form thinner lines, rather than inducing an arch. Her brows, alas, did not conform to the current fashionable shape, but they could be made to conform to the fashionable thickness.

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1091 comments I don't like the painting I'm afraid and I never liked this book cover. It made her look like a boring middle-aged woman, not a fresh young girl.
I like the Helena Bonham Carter suggestion (when she was much younger of course) and actually Keira Knightley (as a young woman) might fit the bill too.

message 10: by Rennie (new)

Rennie | 2 comments Reese Witherspoon at 5' and 1 inch is the right height and is charming enough or even Winona Ryder who is also pretty short but Maisie Williams who played Arya Stark is probably the closest to what I pictured.

message 11: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Sep 14, 2020 05:28AM) (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2579 comments Mod
Oddly enough, I stumbled across this photo and thought it reminded me of Horry. She might be a smidge too old, but the eyebrows at least look correct to me.

How strange that this is someone's idea of what Frederica looks like - the photo does not match the image I have of her in my mind at all.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1136 comments Critterbee❇ wrote: "Oddly enough, I stumbled across this photo and thought it reminded me of Horry. She might be a smidge too old, but the eyebrows at least look correct to me.

How strange that this is someone's ide..."

She prettier than Horry, that’s for sure!