What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Six of Swords
This topic is about Six of Swords
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fantasy novel about a disappearing world, and a princess whose tears turn to pearls. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grokgrok (new)

Grokgrok | 2 comments I read this novel in the mid to late 80s, but the date of publication could be earlier.

It was very much a gentle, romantic fantasy rather than an action romp.

The main character seems to be a princess (?) who has a magical quality whereby her tears turn to pearls. These are valuable, and I think this is some element of her (and her kind of people?) character that they are reluctant to cry. I think.

The premise seems to be the world is disappearing, as in physically disappearing.

The main character is befriended by a man and they go on a journey to either save the world, or to escape from it. They are accompanied by a cat called something like Falaba (?)

I think Falaba the cat can either speak, is telepathic or the author allows us as the reader to hear her thoughts.

From this point on it is spoilers...

During their travels she becomes blind possibly as a result of some kind of curse, and he guides her.

This next detail is about the only part I can recall, but anyone who has read it will also know it.

In one scene she is so upset she cries and can hear her tears fall as pearls into her lap.

Her friend encourages her to cry, but she believes this is because he only wants the valuable pearls. She becomes more upset and cries more.

Then it becomes clear she is slowly regaining her sight - as if crying is flushing away the curse, and when she can see again her friend he shows her the pearls at the start of her crying were jet black, then becoming grey, and then white as her sight returned - he was making her cry to help her regain her sight.

The curse is lifted.

It is all very sweet and lovely.

The last thing I remember is again another spoiler for the very end of the book...
The world has continued to disappear. The pair step through a magical doorway or portal of some kind, but not the cat.

The final line of the book, if I have the cat's name correct, is an enigmatic

"Falaba the cat sat waiting."

That's it! That is all I can recall. And when I think about that I feel pretty bad, as I know I really enjoyed the read at the time. I would love to have another chance to read it again.

PLEASE HELP!

message 2: by Ky (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ky | 126 comments This is Six of Swords by Carole Nelson Douglas. It's about a young sorceress named Irissa who meets up with a swordsman. In their travels, she gets blinded by a curse and literally cries it out as gems. As the gems fall, her sight clears. And they are both accompanied by a cat named Felabba.

message 3: by Grokgrok (new)

Grokgrok | 2 comments Ky

You are an absolute star for solving this so quickly. I have other friends who were intrigued by description who would also consider reading it. You've made more than myself happy.

Many thanks.

Ky wrote: "This is Six of Swords by Carole Nelson Douglas. It's about a young sorceress named Irissa who meets up with a swordsman. In their travels, she gets blinded by a curse a..."

message 4: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 326 comments This is so sweet! thanks for sharing the story and I'm glad you found your book too

message 5: by Ky (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ky | 126 comments You're very welcome. I'm always happy to help people find their beloved books.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Six of Swords (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Carole Nelson Douglas (other topics)