Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Quarantine Tuesday Reading Kaffeeklatsch - BELATED

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Sep 09, 2020 08:37PM) (new)

Theresa | 6306 comments Whoopsy! Well you can tell how bad my week is going when I miss Tuesday, and then think today is Thursday....Oy. I blame work during a pandemic. And a Monday holiday that always causes hell week.

Good news though from the Big Apple: INDOOR DINING REOPENS 9/30!

This is a game changer, especially in NYC. Huge restrictions - 25% capacity, ventilation system requirements, etc. etc. And Cuomo will probably be sending his hit squads out to fine and pull liquor licenses for restaurants who ignore the rules, as he did when restrictions eased for outdoor. This doesn't mean I will be rushing to eat indoors...but still. Big moment.

Movie theaters have started re-opening in NJ....another game changer.

OH! And I got a mani/pedi last week! My toes and fingers are so happy! I went to the newish (opened a couple years ago) nail salon that opened just 4 blocks from me - it is very clean and stream lined. Lots of precautions, great service, I felt totally safe and comfortable. Well except for the couple of customers on their cellphones the entire time. We all heard way too much about the husband not helping around the house, how much they miss going to the mall, how much they dislike the partner of their children, etc.

I don't know about you, but when I get a mani/pedi or a haircut, I want quiet, some nice music maybe. I am not someone who chatters with my stylist or mancurist, or any of the customers. It's quiet time for me -- remember my profession is one of talking and listening to people constantly. These are therapeutic quiet times for me -- haircuts especially since I sit with my eyes closed to prevent bits of hair from getting in my eyes and under my contacts - short hair. I read during mani/pedis -- or nap.

Next time I have to remember to recharge my Bose noise cancelling earpods and bring them with me.

message 2: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments In FL, where we've had some of the worse pandemic numbers, we've been open for indoor dinning for weeks. But there you go, not the best leadership in the world. Hence, I'm cooking some great meals at home. I don't skimp on the price of ingredients because, after all, we aren't paying restaurant prices. Yesterday it was fresh Tuna and it was fabulous!

I don't think our theaters are open yet but that's OK, I like going to movies but my hubby does not so we watch movies after they come to Netflixs or Prime, etc. No big deal.

Now if I could just find someway to block all the political stuff, my life would be calm. But I can't ignore it. So, life goes on about the same as it has since March.

message 3: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8120 comments Schools opened recently, so that's been interesting.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments Showing up to ask for the favor of a blessing.

Many of you have followed my travails of having a high school senior, (Anna has one too!) Its been a long road, even before Covid. School and literacy has been a struggle for him. Fabulous kid, who hasn't had the time he's needed to grow and shine. Covid did grant us some extra time. He missed 7-8 ACT/SAT tests. School is starting remote, and the need to do well is extremely important for colleges. The tests are needed for him to show his capacity, senior year first term grades too. We are applying to 9 schools by November 1st, about 52 days from now.

So this Saturday, finally we are taking the first ACT, the first of four we hope will happen. SAT two weeks later. I would love for you to put your best prayers and energies forth for him. To show he can shine, and to gain confidence. I'd love for you to bless the entire process. That he feels proud that he was able to break through his anxiety and do well, and that he lands in just the right place for himself. Right now, he is seriously so anxious he has wrapped himself up with such tightness and preoccupation. He feels already like he's failed. He hopes he just does better and better over the four tests in the next six weeks. I am just asking, if anyone feels like they would like to white light him for confidence, calm, and faith, I would welcome your prayers and support. He is such a great kid, and is just starting to come into his own. I just want him to find his way. Wish him and us luck and hold the faith!

message 5: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1445 comments Sending good wishes and a possible aid - A young woman I know (daughter of a good friend) works as a test-prep coach. She has written a book that is mainly about attitude, confidence, etc. rather than specific material on tests. It is Acing It!: A Mindful Guide to Maximum Results on Your College Admissions Test. It is very positive and supportive for anxious students.

message 6: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 10, 2020 08:01PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4980 comments Amy, has he ever tried meditation? I recall a study that found it was very effective for test anxiety. A group of college students had 8 weeks of meditation practice. There was a second treatment group (some other stress mgt training), and a control group. The meditation was effective in reducing text anxiety, even several weeks after the practice period ended. The other treatment group did better than the control group, but the meditation group did best.

My goal this month was to read a meditation book, or at least get on a regular practice schedule. It was surprising to me that I was able to sit still and practice with a group of other people, but when I try to do it by myself, I can't stay put. I'm trying to reduce my blood pressure naturally before my next physical.

I like the protective white light imagery. I tried hypnosis once, and that imagery was my favorite part of it. I'll try to send some light his way. Supposedly there is evidence for remote prayer, so why not try?

message 7: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6306 comments I send huge positive support and energy and hugs to your senior!

You know, I struggled with standardized testing, always. I was a good student, did not struggle for grades, even survived transition to public school in 7th grade after 5 years in Catholic school without serioys set back academically. When I took, back in tbe dark ages, the PSAT, I was so confident but ended up with such a low score that the school adminitration classified me as an over-achiever and suggested college admission might not be so easy, not to a school commensrate with my GPA. The scores were too important in getting comsidered let alone admitted This burdened me. And my SATS etc. never improved.

Yet I attended an Ivy League school, held my own there, got into a good law school in spite of weak LSATs.

I learned that it was just a test about how well you can take a test, that it was no judgement on my actual skills and knowledge and talent. I started looking at it as a puzzle or game where you have to learn the rules to take it. And the second time I took the LSAT, I did far better.

So tell you senior that this is just one step in a complicated dance and he can still finish impressively.

message 8: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 944 comments I don't know about SATS, we don't have them where I live. But these standardised tests often have a 'language' or system that you have to learn, so treating it as a puzzle is a good way to think about it. When I took my driver's license in my late twenties, I treated the theory part as such and aced it; much of getting the right answers had to do with subtleties in wording. Will be sending transatlantic good thoughts to your son.

In other news I tested positive for covid and luckily only have mild symptoms. We're hoping for the test results on my family today, so cross your fingers. The first tests on some friends and coworkers I spent time with have come back negative. Phew. I only got tested because my son had a mild cough, and I thought I could just as well get a test. His testcame back negative, mine positive. I hopefully found out early before I could go around spreading it...

message 9: by Holly R W (last edited Sep 11, 2020 05:45AM) (new)

Holly R W | 1162 comments @Amy, I'm sending out positive thoughts for your son and thinking of him. May he do well on the tests!

@Johanne, Sorry that you contracted the virus, but it's good that your symptoms are mild. I hope that you are building up immunity.

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6306 comments Johanne wrote: "I don't know about SATS, we don't have them where I live. But these standardised tests often have a 'language' or system that you have to learn, so treating it as a puzzle is a good way to think ab..."

Oh my goodness Johanne! Hoping for best and take care of yourself.

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6306 comments @Amy - an anecdote from my Bar Exam days, which illustrates just how much standardized tests are testing how well you take standardized tests...

One full day of the Bar Exam is multiple choice. In the Constitutional Law section, when you take the review courses you kearn 2 things: if one of the choices is Equal Protection Clause, that is never the answer, and if a choice is Commerce Clause, that us always the answer. Remembering those 2 rules heloed ace 3/4 of the Con Law questions.

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7238 comments My thoughts, prayers and shining white light hover over your household Amy.

Thinking of you Johanne-so glad it has remained mild.

message 13: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1493 comments @Amy so many prayers and positive thoughts for you and your son during his testing.

@Johanne I hope your symptoms continue to stay mild. My friend who had mild symptoms said the nightmares were the worst.

message 14: by Sallys (last edited Sep 11, 2020 07:55AM) (new)

Sallys | 229 comments Amy, As a special ed teacher I know how meaningless testing is and absolutly hate doing report cards because number assessments are meaningless as well. I have always focused on building my students self-esteem. As a mother of two completely different children with completely different needs,I parent the same way. When my daughter decided to take two years off after high school graduation I was devastated. She is now in college and tells me that she is glad she took the time. I know how hard it is not to get caught up in " what's expected ". Just keep being the wonderful, loving parent that I'm sure you are. He will be fine and will shine.

message 15: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1441 comments Johanne-I hope your symptoms stay mild and everyone else you have been in contact with tests negative.

Amy-I'm sending positive thoughts your sons way.

Some good new here. I've been discharged from PT after going for over a year. Unfortunately my fiance has to start PT today for back problems.

One of my cousins just got engaged. I'm so happy for him and his fiance and it is some much needed happy news.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments You all made me tear up with your love and support! Thank you for your blessings, prayers, and love.

Johanne, May you stay well, your family too! Rachel, congrats for finishing PT. That has been a long haul.

Just outside the library, picking up three books. Dropping one off. Nancy I have a challenge question for you!

Robin, I’m going to get that book! As a runner, and just as a person who has been doing just the teeniest bit of work on positive psychology, we have been talking a lot about these themes and about breathing. I do feel like that’s another bonus here. That he has the opportunity to learn how to use these skills. We live in an area that just happens to be particularly filled with high aptitude’s and brilliant scholars in high school. He has had to contend with not being the fastest runner, nor the best student, where he has wondered why he doesn’t necessarily shine. I read his college essays which we have been working on all summer, and I really feel like they reflect exactly who he is, and that gives him confidence too. He sort of hasn’t come into his own yet, and missing the second half of junior year and all of senior year won’t exactly help. But I’m going to send him to a gap year so he can still have a year to be a kid and do stupid things and learn and grow and gain more maturity and confidence. I want him to take some hikes and visit some caves and rescue some sea turtles and kiss some girls and do stupid things safely, and just feel like he can still be young

message 17: by Robin P (last edited Sep 11, 2020 08:59AM) (new)

Robin P | 1445 comments You are a great mom, Amy! It would be so easy to criticize your son for anything he is not, but you focus on the wonderful person he is and all you want for him.

Sometimes going to the "best" schools in excellent districts is very stressful, with so many overachievers and so much competition. I hope he is looking at colleges that aren't also like that - for instance, Ivy League is not necessary. Another book that I just thought of is Colleges That Change Lives: 40 Schools That Will Change the Way You Think About Colleges. The author points out that when a kid from a well-off family with great K-12 education goes to Harvard and does well there and gets a job, Harvard didn't really add much (except maybe useful contacts.) At smaller or lesser-known schools, students have more freedom to find what they love, be known by professors, try out hobbies, etc.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments Robin, I read and reviewed that one earlier this year! We didn’t end up going to visit any of those colleges. But it did help us think through what kind of environment would be perfect for him that would hit all the right notes. I truly think we have the right nine schools to apply to and that he would be happy at almost any one of them. And that he’ll probably get into most of them. He is really panicked about that, poor kid. Trying to find the acing it book, and it’s not on Amazon. I might just Google it and see where I can get it. Right now he is reading U Thrive, A positive psychology book that I got off the list from the yell class we took in positive psychology. It’s supposed to be about how to be successful in college and in life. And I imagine there’s a lot of techniques in there too. Truth be told, I kind of think he’s going to land there as a profession. Some kind of sports psychology career. Because I’ve always said your greatest challenge is usually a life path. He went to a sports psychologist earlier this year for anxiety around tests and races. And wrote one of his essays on how the two are connected. Which I loved, because I thought rather than talking about why he did so poorly in school the first two years, he could talk about introducing himself as an athlete as well as a student and about understanding what helps him push forward. I could be wrong, but I totally see him that’s in that field someday in someway. Using the very techniques he’s needing. Anyway, I suppose we will see. It starts with tomorrow. Thank you all of you for your prayers and for being there.

message 19: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 944 comments Thanks for your thoughts all :)
First round of tests for the family came back negative :)
I seem not to have spread it, which is a relief.

message 20: by Joi (last edited Sep 11, 2020 12:44PM) (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Johanne, we're here to support you! I hope you are managing alright, and your symptoms stay mild. Glad to hear the family came back negative.

This has been one of the hardest weeks in a LONG time- probably the hardest of 2020 so far for me. Google 'Oregon Fires' 'Holiday Farm Fire' or just look at the news and you'll see why. My state has multiple fires across the Cascade Mountain range, all of which are burning hundreds of thousands of acres- EACH. Our air quality is the worst in the world in the 400-500 range, (100 is considered unhealthy for at-risk, 150 is unhealthy for all). Outside is gray, orange, sometimes red, and filled with smoke, and ash is floating around the air constantly.

Many friends, families, acquaintances are both displaced, or at risk (in-laws literally have their treasures and bags packed in a truck in case they have to evacuate). Scrolling through my facebook makes me tear up, but keeping up to date is so important. I've been working a ton, my hotel is now housing evacuees who have lost their homes, their business, and potentially more. I have it really lucky- living in the middle of a city with little to no risk of evacuation, I'm young and healthy. We personally are fine. But listening to these stories is devastating. Plus trying to create maintain COVID protocol has added an extra layer of difficulty. Luckily everyone has masks to wear ready.

There has been lots of community help, and seeing people ban together to help is extremely heartwarming. I have a lot of guilt not being able to help more- but I am trying to focus on my mental health (rewarded myself with my first manicure since the shut-down yesterday), and knowing that being at my work is providing an essential service to those in loss right now, and that is the best I can do. Perhaps I can get some reading in this weekend, as we can't go outside.

TLDR: I need a sign that says 'I'm exhausted, give me a break" to wear on my forehead, lol.

message 21: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7238 comments @ Joi-was just thinking about you, as I was reading a story on NPR about the fires. How devastating! It seems like the whole West Coast is on fire. I am glad that you are safe where you are at, and pray that your in-laws are kept out of harms way-Hugs!

message 22: by Barbara M (last edited Sep 11, 2020 01:01PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments OMG Joi, I'm so sorry you are suffering through this. I have lots of sympathy for those in the West. My son lives in Colorado just at the Front Range and I was born in Los Angeles, my Dad was raised there so I have a tentative connection. We moved when I was 3 so I really don't remember much of it. Some of my Dad's family still live there but we were never close. Anyway, the pictures are just heart-breaking. This is such a difficult time in the country and this just adds another terrible layer.

Johanne, I'm so glad the rest of your family tested negative. So difficult to be sick and worry about others that you are close to that they might also get infected. I was there with the flu once and that's not nearly as bad as this.

Amy, sending some of that white light your way. I have two grandsons who have ADHD and ADD (one each) one with anger issues so I can relate. Plus I worked for three years at Beacon College in Leesburg FL a college exclusively for students with appropriate IQs but with learning disabilities, many with ADD and ADHD along with Dyslexia, etc. Great kids needing to learn how to accommodate for themselves. Great, dedicated teachers. I ran the library and had contact with most of them. When I was there, we were the only 4 year institution for those student. There was a school in VT that provided a two-year degree and I believe they added a Bachelors program.

message 23: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 944 comments Oh Joi, transatlantic hugs coming your way! What a tragedy on top of tragedy.
If you make that sign, can you send one my way?

message 24: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 944 comments Thanks for all your support. It means a lot.

message 25: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2753 comments Joi! You've been on my mind. First because of the fires. I've lived that evacuation story.

And also because of event planning. It looks as if my son's wedding plans 3.0 are actually going to pan out.
We hope. Fingers crossed.

After the second postponement of their wedding, they decided to cancel it as a big event and go with a service for immediate family only. At her parents home, 10 minutes from my house. I thought that was a wonderful plan! But.... that thought didn't last long. The current plan is a bit bigger. My son is stationed in San Diego. Lovely place for a wedding. They've chartered a yacht and will hold the service and reception out in the bay. Immediate family and the original bridal party, at least 4 young couples, their closest friends. So.. more friends than family, but still small. I'm worried about virus containment, very worried. Nothing to do but take as many precautions as I can.

The wedding is next month, mid-October. Mid October last year I was evacuated to my brother's home while the Tick fire burned up to my back fence. I met with my new dog sitter today. She'll stay at my house while I'm being mother of the groom. The first thing we spoke about was a potential evacuation plan should the winds blow and the fire come while I'm away. Then we talked about COVID precautions. And finally we spoke a bit about my fur baby.

It's hard for me to contain my anxiety to feel the happy anticipation of this wedding that I should be feeling. I'm having to work at it.

message 26: by Joanne (last edited Sep 11, 2020 01:37PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7238 comments Jgrace-just breath, as mentioned above, and try very hard to embrace the joy. There is so little of it right now, that letting the little bit we get get squashed- well it is just not right. I know that is easier said then done-but I am sending Mama of the Groom big hugs and wishes for a beautiful day, it all sounds lovely.

message 27: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments Jgrace - adding you to my prayers.

message 28: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8120 comments Johanne wrote: "In other news I tested positive for covid and luckily only have mild symptoms. ..."

Oh, no! I'm so sorry. I'm glad to hear symptoms are minimal and hope you did catch it in time before it lept elsewhere!

message 29: by LibraryCin (last edited Sep 11, 2020 02:38PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8120 comments Joi wrote: "This has been one of the hardest weeks in a LONG time- probably the hardest of 2020 so far for me. Google 'Oregon Fires' 'Holiday Farm Fire' or just look at the news and you'll see why. .."

Oh no... :-( I have seen photos, probably more of San Francisco than your area, though. The red... Wow!

I can't imagine what the air is like. They are saying that the smoke is going to come to us, as well, but of course, it will be super-diluted by the time it gets here, probably Sunday.

message 30: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6306 comments We are all under some serious sh*t as we lawyers refer to it! I worry about friends and family out west - too many close to these fires and the images are just horrifying.

I'm sending each and every one of you giant hugs from NYC, and suggesting you pour yourselves a favorite beverage and try disappearing in to a fun silly read for a bit.

It's been stressful work for me all week -- and last week. Yesterday I had a closing -- my long time clients were selling their condo, it's been a rough journey but a lovely if clueless and somewhat lacking in common sense young couple buying as their first home. The unit has great aura -- I represented the prior owner on a real estate transaction and also Rob and Lili, who sold yesterday, when they bought. Really good vibes. But there were delays and bizarre issues at the closing -- which happen and that's not what is still causing me stress. It's that the closing was held at the bank attorney's office in a too small conference, overly warm, poor ventilation and 2 of the men in attendance had to be repeatedly reminded by me to cover their noses with their masks. Yes, it was very uncomfortable being stuck in this awful conference room for 4.5 hours (closing should have taken 1.5 hours max), I was uncomfortable too but I kept my mask in place properly. I didn't stress it while there - too busy. But after it really hit me how bad that set up was. I think I'll get tested over the weekend just to be reassured - I'm sure I'm fine - I kept socially distant from the 2 men who couldn't keep their noses covered. I'm also writing a letter to the senior partners of the law firm about the poor conditions in that room and the fact that one of their paralegals can't seem to keep his mask over his nose. Yup, it was an employee in the firm where we were closing who was not observing the rules. '

And of course, today is 9/11. I've been teary all day, cranky, easily upset. I keep very busy every year on 9/11 but always find time to call 2 friends who lost dear ones that terrible day.

So I think I'll go have a nice cry -- haven't had one of those since oh about May. Then eat my Indian food that should be delivered in a few minutes, pour myself a scotch and settle in to maybe finish the Hollywood book I'm 3/4's through.

message 31: by Sallys (new)

Sallys | 229 comments Life has been sucky so I'm trying to enjoy the small moments Tonight my husband and I are going out for our 28th anniversary- a really big deal since my husband is really phobic about COVID and eating out. We will sit outside and hopefully he will be able to relax.

message 32: by Joanne (last edited Sep 11, 2020 04:08PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7238 comments @ Theresa, you have been in my thoughts as I read The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11-I have read a lot of books on 9/11, this is the toughest one yet. Enjoy that scotch!

Happy Anniversary Sallys! I hope you and your husband can relax and enjoy your dinner.

My week was "sucky" too-which is why I have not talked about it-

Here is hoping we all have a better week soon-

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments Oh friends - so much difficulty and pain for all of us. JOI!!!!!!! Wildfires in many places in the West. Covid, and 9/11, and fires, and distance from loved ones and physical pain - I grieve with and hope for all of you.

You guessed it - we have been here before. Test was cancelled. I know we have so much to be blessed for, I do. I know things will come out right and yet again, it wasn't meant to be. I know my pains are in vast comparison to things so much greater. But that said, we were a little sad tonight. I really prayed during services, for so many things. Sang my heart out again, as usual. Jaden is excited he gets to watch the Big Celtics game tonight, he had planned to go to sleep early, and he and the brothers are just screaming downstairs. Even though I have major FOMOOF (fear of missing out on my family), I do see that these guys are close and love each other, and that is important to me too. Its been hard that I have been working so hard, and not always able to go places and do stuff with them. We are about to have the high holidays and my oldest leaves us in 9-11 months, and I just wish I was able to milk every moment. These years are precious and you can't get them back.

So in a weird way, Jaden just wasn't feeling this one. He just didn't have a good feeling about it. October 3rd SAT was cancelled too, but i was able to get a seat for Westerly, RI. And maybe that's better, because maybe RI is doing better than MA. Although until a day or so ago, we were doing fantastic! For three days, we were seriously in the best place. Anyway, this leaves us with potentially two SAT's, I think the ACT's just aren't going to happen quite frankly. And you know what? I never could picture it. Not once. I couldn't wrap my head around it. All I could see in my head was the SAT. So I wrote down what I psychically think he is going to score on a piece of paper, folded it up and put it underneath my amethyst stone, and we will see if I am right. Lets come back to this in two weeks friends... Maybe then the world will be on its way back to rights, and we all will be in a better place. Wishing health and happiness and safety and love for everyone. Blessings, Amy

message 34: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1445 comments My understanding is that colleges are being much more flexible about test scores and even grades. Many students are taking gap years so colleges are eager for students who will show up.. Maybe you could contact the colleges he is most interested in and see if they even need the tests.

message 35: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7238 comments I agree with Robin, Amy. My daughter only took the SAT-after conferring with teachers and counselors, they said that was more than enough. With the stress of the tests and then being cancelled again and again-ugh. Hang in there-and know that as a Mom, you are doing great and all that you can.

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments I know the world is celebrating test optional. But my kid is part of a subset of kids who need these to prove themselves. For kids whose grades are high, who cares. It’s the struggling kids, that if they shine, it shows their capacity. But more than that, he needs to do it to show himself he can.

message 37: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5499 comments Joi, from a Californian, I really sympathize with you about the fires. So, so difficult. While, I am not in any danger, I am not far from the fires (I don't think anyone on the west coast is), as we breath them every day. Heartbroken, about loss of life and loss of property. Judith, I'm so glad you are okay after your close call and that you have some joy to look forward to with your son's wedding.

With the hell year of pandemic, protests, political cf and now fires it is hard not to feel a little trapped and fractured. At work with the preschoolers we are moving into our fourth week trapped inside.

Johanne, I hope that you have a short battle with Covid and are quickly well and healthy.

message 38: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2753 comments Booknblues wrote: "Joi, from a Californian, I really sympathize with you about the fires. So, so difficult. While, I am not in any danger, I am not far from the fires (I don't think anyone on the west coast is), as w..."

Thanks, Fran. The close call was last year. This year there's a wedding. I'm making an effort to focus on anticipating a happy occasion rather than constantly worrying about where and when the next fire will start. As I'm sure you know, that's hard to do since we can all smell smoke no matter where we are in the state.

message 39: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5637 comments Oh my ... I've been mostly absent this past week and just reading all these messages makes me anxious.

@Amy ... you are a great mother, and your son will find the strength to succeed despite his fears. My brother also suffered great test anxiety, but he didn't let it stop him.

@Johanne ... oh, No. If it's any consolation, I do know two people who tested positive but had no more symptoms that "feeling kinda lousy for a day" I also know two who had to be hospitalized, though neither required intubation. All these people have recovered completely. Still, I recognize how stressful this is for you and those you love.

@Everyone on the West Coast ... I also have relatives in Oregon and California, so have been closely watching the news (and the facebook feeds). My prayers are with you all. (And who ever thought that a gender-reveal party done using any sort of explosive device was a good idea?!)

message 40: by Robin P (last edited Sep 12, 2020 11:26PM) (new)

Robin P | 1445 comments Amy wrote: "Showing up to ask for the favor of a blessing.

Many of you have followed my travails of having a high school senior, (Anna has one too!) Its been a long road, even before Covid. School and literac..."

Amy, here is the info about how to purchase the book I mentioned on test anxiety, etc

Acing It! can be purchased from Amazon at http://bit.ly/acingitamzn. It is available both in paperback and as a Kindle ebook.

(There are some great reviews there too. As I mentioned, the author is the daughter of a friend so I looked through the book when I was visiting them a couple years ago and I was impressed that it contains, in a very easy style, personal development ideas I only learned as an adult.)

message 41: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments My computer is acting up on the Goodreads site. In fact this is been happening a lot this week where they tell me that there are so many users they can’t manage themselves. I’m gonna have to come back to this thread and click on that link. Meanwhile, trying to review a book. We will see how it goes.

message 42: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1493 comments The smoke is so bad today... I've posted some comparative photos on my instagram account @charleybethh (https://www.instagram.com/charleybethh/)... feel free to follow me regardless, you guys are friends ;)

@Joi I can even imagine what you've been going through at work. Our Airbnb is already booked or I would offer it up to the people displaced in our area. The east side on the other side of the pass from me is awful and there have been fires popping up here in there around me but they've been keeping them contained.

message 43: by Sallys (new)

Sallys | 229 comments My heArt goes out to all those living through the fires on the West Coast. My thoughts and prayers are with you

message 44: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6306 comments The Mask Dilemma - to confront or not. Here's an interesting article by a psychiatrist on masking and the social aspects in group settings. It is from NYTimes and should be unblocked as it is COVID related: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/we...

Basically, you have to do what feels right for you

message 45: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5499 comments Not sure if this link will work, but it shows the spread of the smoke.

https://fire.airnow.gov/?lat=38.66346...

message 46: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6306 comments Two years ago I was in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons at this time, after another year of terrible wildfires. Smoke from California fires badly obscured the Grand Tetons, and I met lots of Californians who were in the are to get away from heavy smoke.

All I keep thinking is how that was NOTHING compared to what is happening now.

😓😓

message 47: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8120 comments Booknblues wrote: "Not sure if this link will work, but it shows the spread of the smoke.

https://fire.airnow.gov/?lat=38.66346..."

Oh, that's really interesting. You can click on the dots and get more information for those areas, re: air quality and such.

message 48: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5499 comments Theresa wrote: "Two years ago I was in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons at this time, after another year of terrible wildfires. Smoke from California fires badly obscured the Grand Tetons, and I met lots of California..."

Theresa, when the fire in Paradise happened< I thought it would be the worse we had. These haven't had that level of loss of life, but the fires extend throughout the West Coast in both coast range and Sierra Mountains. We have one which is the largest ever and several which are in the top 6 ever.

At this point in California some are only 20 % contained or less.

Cindy that is a cool map unless you are breathing the air.

message 49: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7238 comments Awoke to a very smoggy day-The weatherman tells me it is smoke from the fires... I live in Michigan and I feel for all of you who are in center of it.

message 50: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5499 comments My eyes are burning and I'm inside. Joi, I saw that Portland is even worse than we are. We are going on our 4th week stuck inside.

I'm wondering what impact this will have on protests.

« previous 1