Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - Group Reads > COZY - Murder In Galway by Carlene O'Connor - October 2020

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Sep 09, 2020 07:21AM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hello, fellow Crime, Mystery & Thriller readers! This discussion is about Murder in Galway by Carlene O'Connor your discussion leader is Icewineanne

Please note: If you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
Murder in Galway (Home to Ireland Mystery #1) by Carlene O'Connor Murder In Galway (Home to Ireland Mystery #1) by Carlene O'Connor

Summary

New Yorker Tara Meehan's first trip to Galway may be her last . . .

Tara never imagined her introduction to Ireland like this—carrying her mam’s ashes to honor her final request: “Tell Johnny I’m sorry . . . Take me home.” She’s never met her mam's estranged brother, Johnny Meehan, who owns an architectural salvage business in Galway. Although Tara is immediately charmed by the medieval city, the locals seem wary of strangers and a gypsy warns her that death is all around.

When Tara arrives at her uncle’s stone cottage, the prophesy seems true. A dead man lies sprawled over the threshold in a pool of blood. The victim turns out to be Johnny’s wealthiest client, and her missing uncle is the garda’s number-one suspect. In trying to find Johnny and solve the crime, Tara uncovers her mam and uncle’s troubled past. But with a desperate killer about, she had better mind herself, or they’ll be tossing her ashes in Galway Bay . . .

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen94066) | 263 comments I really enjoyed this fish out of water type mystery.

Tara is not returning to her home but to her mother's. She knows that her mother's estranged brother Johnny Meehan was in Galway last they knew and she is interested in meeting him and to spread her mother's ashes somewhere appropriate.

Before she knows what is happening, the box with her mom's ashes is in a juggler's street performance. Next thing she knows he has returned it to her but she has juggled it and it opens and spews the contents all over the man in front of her. Ooops.

The rest of her visit to Galway goes in a similar fashion. She finds a dead body in the cottage of her uncle whom she has never met and proclaims her uncle dead. She is soon notified that was not her uncle but the wealthiest man in town.

This town has a lot of secrets and Tara spends time to solve the mystery of her uncle's disappearance, what has happened to the missing treasurers from the family's architectural salvage business, who has spray painted a GO HOME YANKEE sign on the side of the building and TARA in the victim's blood on the cottage wall, and who has rented retail space in town. And yes, she also determines who has killed Emmet Walsh.

I enjoyed the investigations into these mysteries. The town characters are all suspected at one time or another, and Tara has a difficult time deciding just who she can trust. Ultimately she uses her best judgment to determine who is lying to her and why.

I have been to Galway many years ago and enjoyed this return visit.

message 3: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Icewineanne | 673 comments Mod
Glad you enjoyed this Karen. It sounds like a fun read during these dark days. Looking forward to starting this soon!
Happy reading everyone 🤗

message 4: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

I’m very interested to find out how this new series compares to O’Connor’s Irish Village series & how Siobhán compares to her new MC Tara.

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1559 comments Mod
Icewineanne wrote: "I’m very interested to find out how this new series compares to O’Connor’s Irish Village series & how Siobhán compares to her new MC Tara."

Me too because I love the Irish Village.

message 6: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  Paullin | 1293 comments Mod
I started this book and am enjoying it but it's slow going for me atm, not a reflection on the book but rather my concentration.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 1 comments I listened to the audible version of this book. I liked the story very much but the reader was awful and changed the experience for me.
The story was good. It twisted and turned. As others said at various times I suspected or didn't suspect the individual townspeople.

There really isn't a comparison to Siobhan and the Irish Village series. Siobhan and her gang are like my own family. I will listen/ read the next one in their series though. 3.5 of 5 stars.

message 8: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Agreed, Siobhan & her family are adorable. I enjoy catching up with them with each new book.
In defence of this new series, it always takes awhile to get used to new characters. But a bad reader won’t win the author new followers.