Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Read-aloud recommendations for sixth grade Botany Class

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (last edited Sep 09, 2020 03:48AM) (new)

Jemima Pett | 1424 comments Mod
Posts transferred from wrong thread.

Trudy wrote:

My daughter will be teaching her 6th graders outside as much as weather permits ... the overall focus is botany and along that line she is looking for an engaging book to read aloud .... She asked for suggestions and I offered these (The Night Gardener / The Secret Garden / Tom's Midnight Garden / Fish in a Tree / The Distance Between Me and the Cherry Tree / Wishtree / Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree). An exciting, engaging book is more important than the botany connection. Do any of you have recommendations or thoughts about any of the titles I listed? Thanks.

message 2: by Jemima (last edited Sep 09, 2020 03:49AM) (new)

Donna (as Thomas) replied...
Trudy wrote: "My daughter will be teaching her 6th graders outside as much as weather permits ... the overall focus is botany and along that line she is looking for an engaging book to read aloud .... She asked ..."

I think it's wonderful that your daughter is attempting to draw connections and combine interesting reading with science as well. Tell her that we all appreciate her efforts in this very strange and straining time.
donna aka gammy

message 3: by Jemima (new)

Hi Trudy. I recommend Sandra Smith's series Seed Savers, the first one of which is Treasure.
Treasure (Seed Savers #1) by S. Smith

message 4: by Fiona (last edited Sep 09, 2020 04:00AM) (new)

Fiona Taylor | 11 comments Hi Trudy
Here is the link to The Sheltering Tree https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...
It is a historical book, about the Tolpuddle Martyrs, who were all farm labourers - so the book follows the seasons and discusses the wildlife, as well as following the adventures of Elizabeth Standfield who is one of the daughters of the Tolpuddle Martyrs.
The book is available on Kindle ebooks at the moment and will be available in paperback very soon. Thanks Fiona

message 5: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 312 comments Hi Trudy,

Of your list, I’ve only read Fish in a Tree, which is about a girl with dyslexia. The title is from an anecdote about how a fish would spend its life feeling stupid if it were judged by its ability to climb trees.
If it helps, I recently published an article on middle grade books with magical trees, which includes the award-winning The Lie Tree .
https://justinelaismith.wordpress.com...
One of these is my book, which was inspired by two tropical trees: the cannonball tree and the buah keluak tree. One is poisonous and the other has healing properties.