The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2020 > 20.9 - Moderator's Pet - Deedee's Task: Alexander Hamilton

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 09, 2020 03:59PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4524 comments Mod
20.9 - Moderator's Pet - Deedee's Task: Alexander Hamilton

The musical Hamilton won 11 Tony Awards in 2016. This task is centered on Alexander Hamilton. Select one option.
Required: Identify the option.

A. Read a biography of Alexander Hamilton.

B. Read a historical novel where the main character is Alexander Hamilton. The goodreads description must mention Alexander Hamilton’s name.

C. Read a book with a MPG of American Revolution. The genre may be stand alone or embedded.

message 2: by Deedee (last edited Nov 10, 2020 11:38PM) (new)

message 3: by Deedee (last edited Sep 11, 2020 10:12PM) (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Reserved.
Not approved:

The Red Pearl A Novel of the American Revolution by Chloe Helton

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4524 comments Mod
This help thread is open.

message 5: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 819 comments Can you please confirm American Revolution for The Hamilton Affair? Also, could it work for option B (if American Revolution falls off before you have a chance to verify)?

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine | 710 comments I love the Hamilton musical!! Please confirm Washington: A Life for MPG American Revolution. (I read Chernow's Hamilton biography during the summer challenge and enjoyed it, so I am eager to read his Washington biography as well.)

message 7: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Brooke wrote: "Can you please confirm American Revolution for The Hamilton Affair? Also, could it work for option B (if American Revolution falls off before you have a chance to verify)?"

The Hamilton Affair is confirmed for American Revolution. Enjoy!

message 8: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Christine wrote: "I love the Hamilton musical!! Please confirm Washington: A Life for MPG American Revolution. (I read Chernow's Hamilton biography during the summer challenge and enjoyed it, so I am ..."

Washington: A Life is confirmed for American Revolution. Enjoy!

message 9: by Anja (new)

Anja Vuković | 356 comments I'm not familiar with american history, so can you confirm this book is about the right Alexander Hamilton? My Dear Hamilton: A Novel of Eliza Schuyler Hamilton

message 10: by Aprilleigh (last edited Sep 09, 2020 10:46PM) (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1046 comments Sanity check just in case I missed something - Duel with the Devil should work for either option A or option B?

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments can i please get Rebel Spy for american revolution - currently 7ppl have it shelved that way

message 13: by Trish (last edited Sep 10, 2020 06:26AM) (new)

message 14: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2445 comments please can i have The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington noted for MPG american revolution currently both main and embedded genres

message 15: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1419 comments Can I get The Pox Party verified for American Revolution?

message 16: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 915 comments Although it probabaly won't fall of the MPG page, I would rather be safe. Could please note the genre for Valiant Ambition: George Washington, Benedict Arnold, and the Fate of the American Revolution-thanks

message 18: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1419 comments Two more to verify for American Revolution just in case - Thieves' Quarry and The Ninth Daughter.

message 19: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1644 comments Another to verify for MPG American Revolution: Chains

(This has MPG Children but AR Bookfinder has IL: MG - BL: 5.2 - AR Pts: 11.0 so it does meet SRC criteria)

message 20: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2462 comments Thanks, Deedee.

message 21: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments The following books are all approved for Option #3 as they all have the genre American Revolution.
Thieves' Quarry
The Ninth Daughter
Chains
Enjoy!

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 143 comments Could you please confirm Lafayette in the Somewhat United States for the MPG American Revolution? Thank you!

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashbethindia) | 49 comments Could you please confirm The Red Pearl: A Novel of the American Revolution for the third option? The only MPG is History, but ... the title? Thanks!

message 24: by Alex (new)

Alex | 189 comments Could you confirm Alex and Eliza for option B?

Thank you!

message 25: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Ashley wrote: "Could you please confirm The Red Pearl: A Novel of the American Revolution for the third option? The only MPG is History, but ... the title? Thanks!"

Sorry I can't approve. I'm keeping to MPG = American Revolution.
Hope you can use the book elsewhere in the challenge!

message 27: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Could I please lock this in for Option #3: Tempest At Dawn? Ta!

message 28: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Tempest at Dawn is approved for genre> American Revolution. Enjoy!

message 29: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Thanks, Deedee :)

message 30: by Aprilleigh (last edited Sep 17, 2020 01:45PM) (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1046 comments Which options did you approve Duel with the Devil for?

MPG Biography is present, and his name is listed in the Goodreads metadata, but unless you specifically intended the historical novel for option B to be fictional (non-fiction novels exist, although not to purists), that seems like an option that doesn't require hoping the MPG is still present when someone reviews it (and you never specifically stated which option it was approved for).

message 31: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "Which options did you approve Duel with the Devil for?

MPG Biography is present, and his name is listed in the Goodreads metadata, but unless you specifically intended the historic..."

Duel with the Devil fits option A since it is non-fiction with "biography" as a MPG. The book is a history of the relationship between Alexander Hamilton and the man who killed him, Aaron Burr.

message 32: by Aprilleigh (last edited Sep 17, 2020 07:00PM) (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1046 comments Deedee wrote: "Aprilleigh wrote: "Which options did you approve Duel with the Devil for?

MPG Biography is present, and his name is listed in the Goodreads metadata, but unless you specifically in..."

Good enough for me, thanks!

The book was really well done, btw, if anyone else is interested. It kept my attention as well or better than In Cold Blood, and he provided extensive footnotes and citations for his sources. Outstanding research.

message 33: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15684 comments Mod
Please verify To Begin the World Anew: The Genius and Ambiguities of the American Founders for embedded genre American Revolution.

Thanks!

message 34: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Sandy wrote: "Please verify To Begin the World Anew: The Genius and Ambiguities of the American Founders for embedded genre American Revolution.

Thanks!"

Verified for embedded genre. Enjoy!

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15684 comments Mod
Deedee wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Please verify To Begin the World Anew: The Genius and Ambiguities of the American Founders for embedded genre American Revolution.

Thanks!"

Verified for embedded genre..."

Thanks!

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly29) | 166 comments Can I verify The Midwife's Revolt for option C?

message 37: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments The Midwife's Revolt verified. Enjoy!

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments can i please get Eliza Hamilton: The Extraordinary Life and Times of the Wife of Alexander Hamilton - fo roption 3 (American revolution currently by 6 ppl); might also work for for option 2 (alexander is mentioned in the description)

message 39: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Dee wrote: "can i please get Eliza Hamilton: The Extraordinary Life and Times of the Wife of Alexander Hamilton - fo roption 3 (American revolution currently by 6 ppl); might also work for for ..."

Eliza Hamilton: The Extraordinary Life and Times of the Wife of Alexander Hamilton is approved. Enjoy!

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1159 comments Please verify Ashes for option C: MPG American Revolution. It has children's in the genre list, but meets SRC requirements (IL: MG - BL: 5.6 - AR Pts: 11.0). Thanks!

message 41: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Ashes approved since it meets SRC requirements.

message 42: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1321 comments Hello! Can I get the genre American Revolution noted for Black Patriots and Loyalists: Fighting for Emancipation in the War for Independence? Thanks!

message 43: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2067 comments Jessica wrote: "Hello! Can I get the genre American Revolution noted for Black Patriots and Loyalists: Fighting for Emancipation in the War for Independence? Thanks!"

Yes, approved. Sorry at the delay in responding to your post.