Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Biography stating the spaces on the author's name

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 601 comments Doing the Clean Up projects, I've come across a few authors (like G.M. Wilson) that have in their byography basically the same message:
There is more than one Goodreads user with this name. This entry is for G.M. [3^] Wilson.
As far as I know, this shouldn't be done, so I'm asking if I should delete this message when I come across it, if I should add it myself or what's the standard procedure in this cases?

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4696 comments Luisa wrote: "Doing the Clean Up projects, I've come across a few authors (like G.M. Wilson) that have in their byography basically the same message:
There is more than one Goodreads user with ..."

I don't know if it is policy & I don't do it myself, but I have found it very helpful at times. Please don't remove.

message 3: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8670 comments Luisa wrote: "Doing the Clean Up projects, I've come across a few authors (like G.M. Wilson) that have in their byography basically the same message:
There is more than one Goodreads user with ..."

I find it very useful. Names that have more than a dozen authors in particular make it useful.

message 4: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20225 comments I'd say info about the number of spaces is better suited in the Librarian Note on the author profile, as it is intended for Librarians, not in the description, which is available to all users.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4696 comments Arenda wrote: "I'd say info about the number of spaces is better suited in the Librarian Note on the author profile, as it is intended for Librarians, not in the description, which is available to all users."

I've seen it like that as well.

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 1764 comments Arenda wrote: "I'd say info about the number of spaces is better suited in the Librarian Note on the author profile, as it is intended for Librarians, not in the description, which is available to all users."

This is also where I would expect to see it. Not in the description where it would make no sense to non-librarians.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42480 comments Mod
Arenda wrote: "I'd say info about the number of spaces is better suited in the Librarian Note on the author profile, as it is intended for Librarians, not in the description, which is available to all users."

I agree.

message 8: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8670 comments rivka wrote: "Arenda wrote: "I'd say info about the number of spaces is better suited in the Librarian Note on the author profile, as it is intended for Librarians, not in the description, which is available to ..."

Is this acceptable?
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 9: by Lu (new)

Lu | 601 comments Arenda wrote: "I'd say info about the number of spaces is better suited in the Librarian Note on the author profile, as it is intended for Librarians, not in the description, which is available to all users."

I agree, so should I move that message when I come across it?

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments I would note that the part of the message mentioning there are more authors by the same name would be useful to users who might otherwise be confused when searching for a particular author, so only the part of the message mentioning spaces should be moved in any case.

Additionally, as all users can add books to the database and will not necessarily know to add a book directly from the author profile or work, the information about the number of spaces may be useful to clue them in to the Goodreads method of disambiguation.

message 11: by lethe (last edited Sep 09, 2020 02:17AM) (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Alex wrote: "I would note that the part of the message mentioning there are more authors by the same name would be useful to users who might otherwise be confused when searching for a particular author, so only..."

All good points, and following that, I find this very helpful:

Suzi wrote: "Is this acceptable?
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show..."