What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Retief: Envoy to New Worlds (Retief, #1)
This topic is about Retief
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Humorous Science Fiction - Space Secret Agent - 1960s/70s - Alien Opponents Spoke in Infinitives, eg "To be surrendering now!" [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob | 3 comments 1960s/70s series featuring an interstellar secret agent. His main alien opponents spoke in infinitives, e.g.
"To be dropping your blaster!"
"To politely refuse, and to suggest you are outnumbered!"
As you may infer, there was a humorous streak in the books.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Sep 08, 2020 10:23AM) (new)

Kris | 32068 comments Mod
Bob, that's a good start. Copy plot details (incl. years read) from your message #1 to the topic header/title, so someone can recognize your book from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

We have thousands of book requests. We close threads with vague headers.

Click the small "edit" link after the topic header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 3: by Bob (new)

Bob | 3 comments Kris wrote: "Bob, that's a good start. Copy plot details (incl. years read) from your message #1 to the topic header/title, so someone can recognize your book from that description alone. Many members only read..."
That any better?

message 4: by Kris (new)

Thanks for updating the topic header/title. This will help searchers and moderators.

message 5: by Ky (new)

Ky | 126 comments Very long shot, and I didn't even read this series, my father did, but could it be the Retief series by Keith Laumer? I do remember my father laughing as he read these books so they were humorous.

message 6: by Genesistrine (new)

Genesistrine | 342 comments Or Alexei Panshin's Anthony Villiers series? It starts with Star Well

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat (tadpoledrain) | 126 comments I don't know if the details match, but maybe check out the Bill the Galactic Hero series? The first book was published in the 60s.
Check out this book on Goodreads: Bill, The Galactic Hero https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat (tadpoledrain) | 126 comments (The author, Harry Harrison, wrote another series you could check, The Stainless Steel Rat, although I don't know if those books were funny or not.)

message 9: by Bob (new)

Bob | 3 comments Ky wrote: "Very long shot, and I didn't even read this series, my father did, but could it be the Retief series by Keith Laumer? I do remember my father laughing as he read these books so they ..."
Solved! That's them! Thanks very much, this has been driving me crazy!

message 10: by Ky (new)

Ky | 126 comments You're welcome, Bob!

message 11: by Genesistrine (new)

Genesistrine | 342 comments Um, mods? This topic isn't about Bill the Galactic Hero, it's about Keith Laumer's Retief series....

message 12: by Kris (new)

First book in the series - Retief: Envoy to New Worlds by Keith Laumer

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Retief: Envoy to New Worlds (other topics)
Star Well (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Keith Laumer (other topics)