Vegan Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tessa (last edited Sep 07, 2020 11:07AM) (new)

Tessa (trisstessa) | 591 comments Mod
Happy Labor Day! Today starts our discussion on Eternal Treblinka - feel free to share your thoughts on part one of the book here!

message 2: by Jesús (new)

Jesús Fernández (jfz93) | 2 comments Hi everyone!
I've just read part one and I think we all are having a hard time. I almost always try to hide away from any info on animal killing and torture and this book is giving me facts one after the other. As much as it can get unbearable to assimilate the capabilities of us humans, it is also necessary to look in the mirror.
So, just a couple of things that caught my attention among the many shocking quotes the book offers:
Am I glad to read a coherent, well-researched link of Nazi Germany and animal mass slaughters. Coetzee's "The Lives of Animals" did it somewhat shyly, feeling it was too touchy a subject to delve into - a critique the author of this month faced when looking for a publisher. I feel this common aversion to compare concentration camps and slaughterhouses is finally resolved on page 49, "Many would argue that moral considerations do not have to be extended to animals, but this is just what the Nazis said about the Jews."
Second, I know there are many famous people referenced whose quotes have shocked us but the one by L. Frank Baum?? Honestly, how unexpected was that?!
- this is my first time participating so sorry if my message was too long or if I commented anything that was supposed to be on another forum!

message 3: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (trisstessa) | 591 comments Mod
Jesús wrote: "Hi everyone!
I've just read part one and I think we all are having a hard time. I almost always try to hide away from any info on animal killing and torture and this book is giving me facts one aft..."

I think this is my problem reading this. It's rough and I'm struggling to get through it. I don't want to hear what Patterson is telling. I know animals (and people!) were and are treated horribly, being killed and abused, but I don't want to read about it and hear the details. It's really difficult to read.

Which makes me wonder: as vegans, if we're in it for the animals, we know a lot about the atrocities committed against animals, even if we don't know the specifics, but what about non-vegans? Are they reading this book? Patterson had a hard time getting this book published but what about getting it read by the "right" audience?

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 36 comments Jesús wrote: "Hi everyone!
I've just read part one and I think we all are having a hard time. I almost always try to hide away from any info on animal killing and torture and this book is giving me facts one aft..."

what is the quote by Baum? I am curious. I am not reading this bc I can't handle the suffering and can't read about animal suffering. I did want to peek at the discussion. I now think I made a good choice to not add it.

I am def vegan for the animals. I do enjoy some great health benefits. I am so sensitive to animal slaughter and torture. I 100 percent believe all animals are sentient beings and do not see them as food. It breaks my heart at times to think of this cruelty.