Books and Jams Readalong discussion

The Last Year of the War
This topic is about The Last Year of the War

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
We are just about half way.

One of the reasons I love reading historical fiction is because I feel like I learn new things! Do you feel like you've learned anything yet with this one? Have you had to google anything? What themes or images do you see popping up? How are you liking the writing style/pacing? Anything else you want to share?

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
I really want to know how much of these events at the interment camp really happened. I have never read a book about this aspect of WWII.

Mariko and Elise's friendship is precious. I love how they learn about each other's cultures, but are both American. The last chapter was just so sad!

There was one quote in this section that stood out to me - "Maybe being brave is different from being unafraid. If you're not afraid, what is there to be brave about?" Food for thought!

Kristi (sweetheavenlygrace) This book! I'm loving this story so much. I love the writing, it's amazing. I have done some Google searching on a couple of the camps mentioned and found it very interesting and heartbreaking at the same time.

I feel so bad for Mariko and Elise to have been separated like that.

Beth ONeal | 5 comments I agree with you Krista. I want to know more. I would love to have followed Susan Meissner around during her research and interviews. Just amazing to think of these young Americans going through this. Enjoying the read!