Books and Jams Readalong discussion

The Last Year of the War
This topic is about The Last Year of the War

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
I'm so excited to be reading another Susan Meissner book!

How did you like the beginning of this one? Did it draw you right into the story or did it take a few chapters? Which characters stand out so far?

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
I read this first section today and already love it. I knew I would get drawn in right away. I wasn't expecting Alzheimer's to be an aspect of this story. Interesting that she personifies it and even names it. I think knowing your memories are going away adds a bit of intensity to her desire to track down Mariko.

It's so sad what happened to so many German, Japanese and other Americans during the war. It's sad how fear prevents us from seeing the truth sometimes. Her dad was arrested because of fear, not because he was guilty. That still happens even without war and it's very sad.

Kristi (sweetheavenlygrace) So far so good. I am definitely interested in finishing and finding out what happens. I love the authors writing style. I find myself reading certain sentences out-loud just to hear how it sounds.

It took me a second to understand who Agnes was...lol, obviously this is before Elise explained it. I'm glad she's on the search for her friend.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessreads13) | 3 comments I just finished the first section and wow this book is really tugging at my heart. Susan Meissner's writing is so beautiful. I should have read something by her sooner

Kristi (sweetheavenlygrace) Jessica wrote: "I just finished the first section and wow this book is really tugging at my heart. Susan Meissner's writing is so beautiful. I should have read something by her sooner"

Yes, I agree 100%!

Beth ONeal | 5 comments Wow. Loving part one. I feel so many connections to this story. My mom has Alzheimer’s and Naming it a thief was so powerful and true. I also moved back to the US last year after several years of living in Germany so connected to the feelings of fondness for another culture and not really being able to articulate it. Love her writing!

Elsa I connected with the story as soon as I met 14 year old Elsie in chapter 2. I can tell this book is going to fly by. I'm a good chunk in and just started it this afternoon.

It is hard to imagine having dementia. I feel so sorry for the people going through it and for the families who lose their loved ones personalities through it. A few family members have been affected, but I was not close enough to them or old enough to recognize the early stages.