The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time discussion

How did this get on the counseling shelf?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camille (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Camille This is probably on the counseling shelf because of the identity of the narrator. In many ways this book shows how different individuals cope with having a family member who sees the world differently, but also provides a different viewpoint/outlook. I don't want to ruin the book for you, but the book does delve into mental disabilities, and it's a good book to read to gain a better sense of empathy.

message 2: by Richard (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Richard Good insight into autism, from the inside out.

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Michelle Depends on who you are talking to.

message 4: by Mer (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mer Perhaps because it provides such a fascinating window into the mind of a child with autism?

Franki I've worked with many students with autisim and I just didn't find this book that inspiring!

Rayni I have a son on the autistic spectrum & this was so fascinating. I laughed over the rat incident. It was my son to the T. I think counselors & others who deal w/those on the autistic spectrum NEED to read this because it is an easy read & not heavy.

message 7: by Val (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val I think it honestly depicts a family in crisis due to a neurological health problem. The mother couldn't cope and ran away with her neighbour, the father who coped somewhat better, felt guilty whenever he lost it. But they both really, really loved their son. They didn't choose perfect behaviors they chose human ones.

And in the end . . . well the rest of the story, like life, remains unfinished.

Rayni Very good comment. Unfortunately things like this do happen. Thx.

Judy As a counselor by training. This book needs to be read by anyone who works with children. I agree with Rayni and Val. The more we read and question, the more we understand, the more compassion we have.

Marc-Antoine I don't know much about autism, as I have not been around affected people, reading this book has opened my eyes and heart to children and families living with autism. I have thoroughly enjoyed this book.

message 11: by Sherry (new) - added it

Sherry I am a teacher who works with children with Autism. This book belongs on the counseling shelf because it shows how parents progress in finding a "new normal" when loving and communicating with their children. Discovering a child's strengths and focusing on how to develop them is majorly important as a parent and teacher.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

However, the book is FICTION written by the writer of tv shows and children's books, and he has no, absolutely NO, authority about autism. He "once worked" with an autistic person. This book should NOT
pose as authentically representative.

message 13: by Phil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil Stronge This book represents some of the traits somebody on the autistic spectrum may display, but is no more a definitive representation of autism than the film 'Rainman' is. It is impossible for a book to be representative of autism as a whole. As "spectrum" suggests, autism is a wide ranging condition that manifests itself in many different ways.

I found the book to be moving and thought provoking. Furthermore, aspects of it have always been in the back of my mind when I have come into contact with children on the autistic spectrum. So in conclusion, I believe it would be a valuable addition to any counsellors bookshelf.

message 14: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Jones I have a son who has autism 'not a student found this book by accident and couldnt put it down.

Eyehavenofilter I absolutely loved this book. ( see my review ) I've worked with children, teens, and adults on all spectrums of Asbergers and Autisim and this fits them to a "T". I just found it to be a giant window into that world. It was genuinely funny and human. If you ever get a chance to connect with one of these extra-ordinary people to learn how they actually perceive this world it is amazing. The perceptions and intellegence are staggeringly almost impossible to wrap your mind around. It's a rough ride
but nothing worthwhile is easy, right?

message 16: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Jones "EXactly !Ada"

Rayni Ada-Lee I love your review.