Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

General Discussions > What Do You Read When Not Reading S&S?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Clint (new)

Clint | 263 comments I needed a break from my steady diet of S&S; instead of reverting to my old standby of science fiction, I read Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett which led into No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. Both are violent and feel pulpy.

What do you read other than Sword and Sorcery?

The Joy of Erudition | 130 comments As far as fiction goes, I read various other kinds of fantasy besides sword & sorcery, as well as various types of science fiction, science fantasy, classics, occasionally horror, thrillers, or mystery, and sometimes modern-ish adventure stories or comedies.

message 3: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 800 comments Zombie apocalypse...

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve Dilks | 18 comments Outside of the realms of fantasy and s.f., some of my other favourite writers include Charles Bukowski, J.G. Ballard, Oscar Wilde and P.G. Wodehouse. I just finished re-reading MOTHER NIGHT by Kurt Vonnegut, one of my all time favourite novels.

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 40 comments I only write sword and sorcery. Mostly, I read suspense/crime fiction. I recommend Lawrence Block and James Lee Burke for serious stories, Robert B. Parker and Robert Crais for fast-moving, highly engaging reads.