The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2020 > 25.10 - Brooke TX's Task: Hocus Pocus FTW

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 04, 2020 12:13PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4516 comments Mod
25.10 - Brooke TX's Task: Hocus Pocus FTW

Fall is the best season for obvious reasons: Pumpkin spice lattes. Cozy cardigans. And my yearly re-watch of 1993 cult classic film Hocus Pocus, so I can relive my 90s childhood by quoting Bette Midler as Winifred Sanderson.

For this challenge, you must read a book 1 and a book 2, OR read one book which fulfills all task requirements that is also at least 500 pages long.
One of your books MUST have a main page genre of Horror or Thriller, standalone or embedded.
One of your books may have a main page genre of Comics/Sequential Art/Graphic Novel/Manga.

Start by choosing a film from this List of films set around Halloween.
Required: State your chosen film in your post.

Book 1: Read a book with a word of at least 3 letters in the title/subtitle that matches a word in the title of your chosen film (the/and are excluded). Words must match exactly.

Book 2: Read a book first published the same year your chosen film was released.

message 2: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Reserved.

message 3: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Reserved.

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4516 comments Mod
This help thread is open

message 5: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2442 comments please could you lock in MPG thriller for

The October List
to match with
the houses october built (2 films 2014 and 2017) just checking I could choose either year for second book

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7538 comments Can you pick in Flood for thriller please

message 7: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "please could you lock in MPG thriller for

The October List
to match with
the houses october built (2 films 2014 and 2017) just checking I could choose either year for second book"

Genre noted - and yes, both years would work, as well as 2015 for All Hallows Eve: October 30th.

message 8: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Dee wrote: "Can you pick in Flood for thriller please"

Genre noted.

message 9: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1044 comments What about numerals? Example: 30th or H20

Also, is the Roman numeral III up for grabs?

message 10: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1044 comments Please note The Man Who Played with Fire for MPG Thriller - it's right at the bottom with only 8 users.

message 11: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2442 comments Brooke wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "please could you lock in MPG thriller for

The October List
to match with
the houses october built (2 films 2014 and 2017) just checking I could choose either y..."

thanks Brooke

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15678 comments Mod
Please confirm Report For Murder for Thriller.

Thanks!

message 13: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3864 comments Please verify THRILLER for Jordan's Stormy Banks. Currently listed for 3 users embedded and 2 users as stand-a-lone.

message 14: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10881 comments Mod
Please note the MPG Thriller for Dark in Death. It's currently at the bottom of the list. Thanks!

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 923 comments If you do two books, do they still need to total more than 500 pages?

message 16: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "Please note The Man Who Played with Fire for MPG Thriller - it's right at the bottom with only 8 users."

Verified.

message 17: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Sandy wrote: "Please confirm Report For Murder for Thriller.

Thanks!"

Verified.

message 18: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Bea wrote: "Please verify THRILLER for Jordan's Stormy Banks. Currently listed for 3 users embedded and 2 users as stand-a-lone."

Verified.

message 19: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Please note the MPG Thriller for Dark in Death. It's currently at the bottom of the list. Thanks!"

Verified.

message 20: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "What about numerals? Example: 30th or H20

Also, is the Roman numeral III up for grabs?"

Those all work, as long as your book title word matches spelling exactly. So June 30th, June 30th would work, but not The Thirtieth Year: Stories, Richard III but not Three to Get Deadly, etc.

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly29) | 166 comments Can I please lock in MPG Thriller for Your House Will Pay?

message 22: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Kelly wrote: "Can I please lock in MPG Thriller for Your House Will Pay?"

Verified.

message 23: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1044 comments Please note Lisey's Story for MPG Horror and The Man Who Played with Fire for MPG Thriller (at the bottom) - not sure which one I'm reading yet.

message 24: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "Please note Lisey's Story for MPG Horror and The Man Who Played with Fire for MPG Thriller (at the bottom) - not sure which one I'm reading yet."

Lisey's Story verified. The Man Who Played with Fire: Stieg Larsson's Lost Files and the Hunt for an Assassin was already verified in post 16.

message 25: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1044 comments Brooke wrote: "Aprilleigh wrote: "Please note Lisey's Story for MPG Horror and The Man Who Played with Fire for MPG Thriller (at the bottom) - not sure which one I'm reading yet."

[b..."

Oops, forgot I already asked about that one.

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna (gqannanguyen) | 214 comments Hi, would The Witch Elm work? It has a MPG of "Mystery Thriller."

message 27: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Anna wrote: "Hi, would The Witch Elm work? It has a MPG of "Mystery Thriller.""

Approved.

message 28: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 913 comments Could you, please, verify A Deadly Education for Horror genre-thanks

message 29: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Joanne wrote: "Could you, please, verify A Deadly Education for Horror genre-thanks"

Verified.

message 30: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments The word's Night and I'm choosing a one book option. Will either of these do:

For Night of the Living Carrots (2011)
Acquainted With the Night (Acquainted With the Night, #1) by Piper Maitland

For Halloween Night (2006)
Thriller Stories To Keep You Up All Night by James Patterson

message 31: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Midu wrote: "The word's Night and I'm choosing a one book option. Will either of these do:

For Halloween Night (2006)
[boo..."

Yes, both of those work.

message 32: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Brooke wrote: "Midu wrote: "The word's Night and I'm choosing a one book option. Will either of these do:

For Halloween Nigh..."

Thank you!

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1501 comments Please confirm Due or Die for MPG thriller. Currently 12 users.
Thanks!

message 34: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Lauren wrote: "Please confirm Due or Die for MPG thriller. Currently 12 users.
Thanks!"

Verified.

message 35: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2063 comments Please lock in Genre: Thriller for The Impossible Girl. Thanks!

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1317 comments Hi, can you note Horror as a MPG for The Lost Child of Lychford please? Thanks!

message 37: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Deedee wrote: "Please lock in Genre: Thriller for The Impossible Girl. Thanks!"

Verified.

message 38: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Jessica wrote: "Hi, can you note Horror as a MPG for The Lost Child of Lychford please? Thanks!"

Verified.

message 39: by Mel (new)

Mel | 57 comments Hi,

Would it be possible to lock the movies just like we do with the MPGs? I remember reading in the problems with completed tasks that a movie disappeared from the Wiki page.

Number 1 title and number 12 publication year of a series i'm about to read fit together in one of the movies (perfect!), but there will be some time in between reading them..

Could you confirm Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave (2005) being on the Wiki page?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Mel

message 40: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Mel wrote: "Hi,

Would it be possible to lock the movies just like we do with the MPGs? I remember reading in the problems with completed tasks that a movie disappeared from the Wiki page.

Number 1 title and ..."

Confirmed.

message 41: by Mel (new)

Mel | 57 comments thanks!

message 42: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3645 comments Please confirm THRILLER for
A Stab in the Dark (Matthew Scudder, #4) by Lawrence Block A Stab in the Dark

message 43: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 913 comments Could you please verify Knights of the Black and White for Thriller- it is MPG, but with only 5 people right now

thanks

message 44: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Please confirm THRILLER for
A Stab in the Dark (Matthew Scudder, #4) by Lawrence Block A Stab in the Dark"

Verified.

message 45: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1396 comments Joanne wrote: "Could you please verify Knights of the Black and White for Thriller- it is MPG, but with only 5 people right now

thanks"

Verified.