VICTOBER 2021 discussion

Victober 2020 > Readers' challenge - discussion and TBRs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Lumsden (katie-booksandthings) | 102 comments Mod
The readers’ challenge is to: read a Victorian book from a previous Victober TBR that you didn't get to, or one you’ve been meaning to read for ages.

What are you planning on reading for this challenge?

message 2: by Lana (new)

Lana | 31 comments I'll have to take some time to think about other challenges, but this one is clear - Jane Eyre. I've been meaning to read it for ages and ages.

message 3: by Sasha (new)

Sasha | 15 comments Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens!

message 4: by Arb (new)

Arb (arbwr) A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle.

message 5: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 8 comments Sylvia's Lovers by Elizabeth Gaskell

message 6: by Anonymouse (new)

Anonymouse | 25 comments Bethany wrote: "Sylvia's Lovers by Elizabeth Gaskell"

Hi Bethany! I also plan to read Sylvia's Lovers. For me that fits in with Kate's challenge as well as this one, so maybe I can look in on both.

Would also like to reread a Dickens, either Pickwick Papers or David Copperfield.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky | 14 comments North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackery. Both are chunky, so I'll be happy if I only finish one

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela | 29 comments this one will probably be The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

message 9: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 20 comments It has to be Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope for me. I was going to read it last Victober after reading Barchester Towers in June and just didn't get to it. This time for sure!

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Varney | 74 comments It might be Sybil by Benjamin Disraeli, or it might be Wives and Daughters by Mrs Gaskell or it might be Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. Those are the three Victorian novels I have on my shelf waiting to be read.

message 11: by Adrika (new)

Adrika Mondal (adrikamondal) | 7 comments Christina wrote: "Dracula"

I am also reading Dracula....😊

message 12: by Adrika (new)

Adrika Mondal (adrikamondal) | 7 comments This is my second year for Victober and I am overexcited. I will be reading Dracula finally!

QUESTION: Can I choose a single book to fulfill two or more challenges?

message 13: by Jess (last edited Sep 03, 2020 09:08AM) (new)

Jess Foley | 22 comments Phew---Ha! This is a big question. I always miss Victober because of work, and I used to live with a guy who watched TV incessantly. I wasn't allowing myself enough time to read, but I was so busy I didn't realize.
Covid is a disaster. My job which I loved deeply was eliminated. It was the first well paying full time career type-job I ever had, and "Poof" it's just gone, my entire dept slashed. 100 people across the country laid off in one relatively short Zoom-call. Yet, I am lucky because I am healthy.
This Pandemic is revealing to me how much I can actually read if I just switch off the TV, (and move away from a chain-smoking man who needed so much attention. )--But that's a whole thing for another time.

So my answer to the original question: I got 50% through both Pickwick and Bleakhouse and loved them equally for different reasons, but I got busy and had to stop for some insane reason I can't remember. Who reads these two and just drops off?
I think I lost a temp job and was almost evicted or something horrible to make me put Dickens down.
So it's one of the two. Not sure which one. They're both perfect for election season, and by the time I am done Trump will have been evicted from the Oval I hope.

message 14: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 9 comments Jess wrote: "Phew---Ha! This is a big question. I always miss Victober because of work, and I used to live with a guy who watched TV incessantly. I wasn't allowing myself enough time to read, but I was so busy ..."
Wishing you better days and happy reading!!!

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess Foley | 22 comments Aw, thank you so much!

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda The Old Curiosity Shop. For last year's Victober I set it aside to read something shorter.

message 17: by Juliana (new)

Juliana (julianabrina) | 23 comments From my previous Victober TBR, I have left Keynotes and Discords, The Clever Woman of the Family, and Moths. I think I will choose Keynotes.

:)

message 18: by Josh (new)

Josh Sales | 2 comments Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens!

message 19: by Lorri (new)

Lorri | 65 comments This is my first Victober; however, I’ve been meaning to read more Dickens for a long time. I read Oliver Twist and A Tale of Two Cities on my own years ago, and read A Christmas Carol for a Victorian Literature class five years ago. So, after listening to Katie, I plan to read The Cricket on the Hearth, Three Ghost Stories, and at least begin Dombey and Son.

message 20: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (voyageofatimewanderer) | 12 comments Definitely Barchester Towers for this challenge! I actually picked it up for Victober 2018, got about 10% of the way through and then never finished it and it has been languishing on my "currently reading" shelf ever since. I'm determined to actually finish it this year!

message 21: by CBell (new)

CBell | 1 comments The Professor - Charlotte Brontë

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 9 comments I'm going to read Desperate Remedies by Thomas Hardy. I've been meaning to read it for some time. I ordered it a few days ago. Can't wait to get started!

message 23: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 2 comments Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell. I have yet to read any of her work (I cannot believe that myself) and the length of this combined with the fact that it does have a little bit of humor in it has me counting down the days until Victober begins.

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 9 comments Christina wrote: "Dracula"

An amazing novel, especially the first few chapters. I recommend the Norton Critical Edition edited by Nina Auerbach and David J. Skal. It has reviews, reactions, and critical essays. Happy reading!

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 9 comments Lana wrote: "I'll have to take some time to think about other challenges, but this one is clear - Jane Eyre. I've been meaning to read it for ages and ages."

I love Jane Eyre! I've read it a few times, and it gets better with every read. It's well worth your time.

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (classicbibliophile) | 9 comments Want to reread The Picture of Dorian Gray, I was 16 last time I read it. Also maybe The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, started but didn't finish for a reason I can't remember or Pickwick Papers.

message 27: by Marta (new)

Marta | 7 comments This is my very first Victober, but I'd like to read a book that has been on my shelf for a very long time... And that is "Shirley" by Charlotte Brontë. It happens to be the choice for this year's read-along, but I am going to 'use' it for this challenge, too!

message 28: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whiteislephoenix) | 31 comments Sylvias Lovers..and I see I’m not alone! Anyone want to do a readalong with me for this one?

message 29: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Reinoso | 1 comments First time in a victober and it’s spot on as this year I’ve read lots of 19th century books. The book I’ve been meaning to read for sooo long is Wuthering heights, and I’m thinking to read some Charles Dickens too.

message 30: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Merck | 4 comments I am going to start with The Picture of Dorian Gray and then dive into the stories in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Just finished The Sign of Four recently and I really enjoyed it. The Stephen Fry audio narration is amazing!

message 31: by Casey (new)

Casey  (caseychrapuch) The Canterville Ghost!

message 32: by Annie (new)

Annie | 7 comments I'm planning to read Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell from last year's Victober TBR.

message 33: by Annette (new)

Annette (annekristy) I'm planning to read Dracula too! Plus Phantastes.

message 34: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 2 comments I'm planning on finally finishing Bleak House

message 35: by Angie (new)

Angie | 12 comments This is my first Victober (yay!), and the book I've been meaning to read for ages is The Picture of Dorian Gray. I'm very excited to finally start it in October!

message 36: by Susan (new)

Susan | 17 comments I have The Withered Arm by Thomas Hardy for this one. Maybe Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde by R.L. Stevenson, if I have time.

message 37: by Gia (new)

Gia | 2 comments I have been wanting to reread A Romance of Two Worlds by Marie Corelli for ages! Now's my chance :)

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Fowler | 15 comments Middlemarch. Have started already.

message 39: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (caffeechino) | 16 comments I brought Deerbrook by Harriet Martineau for last years Victober so I'll try to get to that 😊

message 40: by Femke (new)

Femke Van der smissen | 1 comments Might be an atypical choice but I couldn't wait and started How to be a Victorian (nonfiction) already!

message 41: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Wood (missnatarie) | 1 comments Mary Barton !

Lifeinbetweenwords | 1 comments This is my first Victober, and I am really looking forward to it! These are my picks so far:

Kim - Ruyard Kipling
The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins
Up the Country: Letters from India - Emily Eden

message 43: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Watson | 46 comments This year I’m hoping to read more Australian classics. So I’m reading ‘My Brilliant Career’ by Miles Franklin and ‘For the Term of his Natural Life’, Marcus Clarke.

If I have time, I want to read my lovely new Chilterns Classics edition of The Picture of Dorian Grey. Happy Reading!

message 44: by Tom (last edited Sep 28, 2020 01:52PM) (new)

Tom Britz | 16 comments This is my first Victober so for a book I've wanted to read for a while, I choose The Diary of A Nobody by George Grossmith and Weedon Grossmith. Here's a few more I want to read: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, I've read the first three Barchester novels by Anthony Trollope and want to finish that series out, I've been buying more Wilkie Collins books, I think he'd be a huge thriller writer today. I actually began reading Victorian literature in August and finding I love them and will probably continue for the foreseeable future.

message 45: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Mckeag | 20 comments Gia wrote: "I have been wanting to reread A Romance of Two Worlds by Marie Corelli for ages! Now's my chance :)"

I'm curious, is this Science fiction or what? Where can it be found?

message 46: by Regina (new)

Regina Lemoine | 5 comments I’ll be reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

message 47: by Gia (last edited Sep 30, 2020 09:38AM) (new)

Gia | 2 comments Sheila wrote: "Gia wrote: "I have been wanting to reread A Romance of Two Worlds by Marie Corelli for ages! Now's my chance :)"

I'm curious, is this Science fiction or what? Where can it be found?"

Hi Sheila, I'm not sure what genre it is officially, but I'm sure it probably reads like science fiction. I ordered the book from a used bookstore. The book also appears to be available online as well.

message 48: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Bousquet | 3 comments Katie wrote: "The readers’ challenge is to: read a Victorian book from a previous Victober TBR that you didn't get to, or one you’ve been meaning to read for ages.

What are you planning on reading for this chal..."

Katie wrote: "The readers’ challenge is to: read a Victorian book from a previous Victober TBR that you didn't get to, or one you’ve been meaning to read for ages.

What are you planning on reading for this chal..."

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

message 49: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimsbooksreadingstuff) | 6 comments Suzanne wrote: "Katie wrote: "The readers’ challenge is to: read a Victorian book from a previous Victober TBR that you didn't get to, or one you’ve been meaning to read for ages.

What are you planning on reading..."

Far From the Madding Crowd sounds like the ideal novel in these social distancing times.

message 50: by Beth (last edited Sep 30, 2020 07:13AM) (new)

Beth | 10 comments I've been wanting to read a novel of Mrs. Oliphant's for awhile, so I'll try The Story of a Governess.

« previous 1