The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Group Read Discussions > September 2020 group read (spoiler thread): The Chain, by Adrian McKinty

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9164 comments Mod
This is the spoiler thread to go with the September discussion of The Chain.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 103 comments I just read this a couple of months ago, so I think I'll be lurking around a bit ;)

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 1203 comments I found it much too crazy in its setup. I had to suspend belief WAY too much. Otherwise great thriller, if you don’t think about it.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 103 comments aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "I found it much too crazy in its setup. I had to suspend belief WAY too much. Otherwise great thriller, if you don’t think about it."

Oh heck yes. Review here, if you're so inclined :) https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 5: by ? (new)

? (catnton) just finished this. the first half of the book was pretty good, but I wasn't a fan of the latter half. I also wasn't a huge fan of the writing style either; it really took me out of the story. other than that, it was a decent read!

message 6: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 2 comments I think it was really nice! Easy to read !

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) | 4030 comments I loved this, but then I absolutely adore Adrian McKinty's writing. His Sean Duffy series is equal first in my favourite series list with Ken Bruen's Jack Taylor series. Riveting. Compelling. Thrilling!
My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 8: by CMYKari (new)

CMYKari | 5 comments A decent read, but the pacing felt horribly inconsistent to me. I too had to suspend belief WAY too much, but it was still enjoyable as it was. Would probably make a good movie.

I mentioned in my review, but I do wonder if the Appenzeller's ever found out what happened in their house when everything else came to light. I wish we could have had a little blurb about that.

message 9: by Terry (new)

Terry Canada | 9 comments I enjoyed the book greatly. I love how it gives readers the moral question of what would you do and how far would you go to save your child? I loved Rachel's character and admired her struggling with the morality of it all, and how she was forced to adapt which brought out a motherly animal instinct. I would have liked it more if Gingers character was brought into the story earlier instead of Tammy. The surprise would of been greater IMHO. I am always a fan of books that show the weakness of the characters and them over coming it. Both Rachel and Peter struggled with issues yet worked thru them for Kylie's sake. Thought the author was smart to leave the reader wanting more by not revealing the pregnancy at the end.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Chain (other topics)