Play Book Tag discussion

The Songs of Trees: Stories from Nature's Great Connectors
This topic is about The Songs of Trees
August 2020: Other Books > (Poll Ballet) The Songs of Trees by David George Haskell

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 110 comments 4 Stars

This is a beautifully written book. "To listen is therefore to touch a stethoscope to the skin of a landscape, to hear what stirs below." There are so many lines like this in the book, it's hard to believe it is a work of non fiction. The author visits different trees at different times over years, observing their growth and place in their environment. He noted the changes, good and bad, that have taken place. He describes the connected relationships between the trees, fungi, insects, climate and people. Google Yamaki pine, it's a bonsai tree with an amazing history. It survived the bombing of Hiroshima.I probably would not have read this book if it wasn't a pick in my postal book club, but I'm glad I did.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Aug 31, 2020 01:03PM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5766 comments Wow, this sounds great. The writing sounds lovely and stirring. This belongs on my Must read in 2021 list, along with The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World and The Overstory. I love to read books together with a theme. Then I'll watch the film - I forgot the title - sci-fi with the tall blue people spiritually connected to the trees? I loved the images of the hands connected in a huge network.