Historical Fictionistas discussion

Challenges > 2020 Fall Train Challenge-Rules and Questions

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Jasmine | 1201 comments Mod
For the Fall we are going to cycle back to a challenge from 2014. The challenge will run from September 1, 2020 until November 30th, 2020.
The goal of this challenge is for you to make a train through the books that you read during these three months

RULES:

1) Books must be at least 200 pages long. Eligibility for this is determined by THE MOST POPULAR EDITION OF THE BOOK ON GOODREADS -- NOT the edition you actually read. If the most popular edition is 197 pages, it will not count, even if the edition read is 215 pages.
To determine the most popular edition on Goodreads, simply do a title/author search - the first result that matches your book is the most popular edition on GR. If the first book is an audio book or ebook without page numbers, then use the 2nd book shown in the editions.

2) The first book used for the challenge should be finished on or after September 1st.
Participants may join at any time during the challenge, but all of the books must be finished during the challenge. NOTE: this is a change from our usual practice in that you may use a book started before the challenge so long as it is finished after the start date.
Any books that you read can also be claimed for other challenges (like HFU).

3) Re-reads, graphic novels, and audiobooks are accepted unless specified otherwise in the task. (Audiobook page counts will be determined by the most popular edition on Goodreads.)

Creating a Reading Train:

4) The idea for this challenge is to create a series of linked books. Using your first book as a starting point, the next book will need to link in some way to the previous book. Each book will link to the previous book and the book read right after. You do NOT need to link all books with each other.
Linking any 2 books:
- Genre: Same genre on main page
- Author names: the authors of the two books have the same first name or the same last name.
- Title Words: the two books have a “main” title word (excludes prepositions, articles, pronouns)
- Cover Object: the two books have the same object on the cover (post covers)
- Same main character name: the two books have a character with the same name (first OR last)

5) Participation: Each person will create a post in the Railroad Thread and edit as they grow their train.

This will be a non-scoring challenge, but I will post how long people’s trains are at the end.

6) If you get stuck you can start another train….but the idea is that you are trying to get the longest connection.

7) Have Fun!

Post for the Reading Train:
Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin

The Serpent and the Pearl by Kate Quinn (Title words: Serpent)

The Duke and I by Julia Quinn (Author's last name)

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (Main character same name: Simon)

You Should See Me in a Crown by Leah Johnson (Same Genre: YA Contemporary LGBTQ Romance)

NOTE: This is meant to be a challenge, so reading a series with the same author and main character for all your entries is frowned upon :-D

message 2: by Cheryl A (last edited Aug 31, 2020 07:10PM) (new)

Cheryl A | 940 comments Super excited! Thanks, Jasmine!!

message 3: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Cheryl A wrote: "Super excited! Thanks, Jasmine!!"

You're welcome! Thanks for the idea. I was able to find it in the Ancient Threads and I'm happy to try something new to me.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Weigand | 6 comments I'm looking for historical fiction with an aviation theme.

message 5: by Alice (new)

Alice | 4954 comments Do all books have to be Historical fiction?

message 6: by Alice (new)

Alice | 4954 comments Cindy wrote: "I'm looking for historical fiction with an aviation theme."
Her Last Flight by Beatriz Williams

Flight of Dreams by Ariel Lawton

message 7: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Alice wrote: "Do all books have to be Historical fiction?"

No, they do not. Great question.

message 8: by Cheryl A (last edited Sep 02, 2020 06:59PM) (new)

Cheryl A | 940 comments I also have a question regarding Title Words - would plurals count? For example The Rose of Sebastopol and Lost Roses? Or The Broken Girls and The Girl on the Train? Asking for a friend :)

message 9: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Tricky question. I'm going to say yes, plurals will count.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna | 224 comments Do title words also include subtitles?

message 11: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Donna wrote: "Do title words also include subtitles?"

Give me an example.

message 12: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maursbooks) | 365 comments Do the books need to be read in order?
In other words if I have book 1,2,3,4 can I read book 4 before book 2 but only report when I have read the book that is linked to one another

message 13: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Because it is self recording and I’m not going to be checking your read by date you are free to read them out of order and report them in the way that makes the connections.

message 14: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maursbooks) | 365 comments Thank you Jasmine