Reese's Book Club x Hello Sunshine discussion

97 views
Book Club Lounge > Blog on Point of View in Fiction

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Seewald (jacquelineseewald) | 40 comments My new blog is about Point of View: Who’s telling the story
and who should be telling it.

Hope you will visit:

http://jacquelineseewald.blogspot.com


message 2: by Tuğba (new)

Tuğba (knowhowgirl) | 1 comments First person must tell the story, when i read god like writers know everything and been everywhere it makes the book unrealistic to me. But when first person tell the story even dragons envolved it is much more real story to me


message 3: by V. (new)

V. Ananya (avalon_greene) | 3 comments I feel third person or omniscient is better for me - and I actually rather prefer it - because I feel that knowing everybody's thoughts at once, so to speak, I'll have a better, more neutral perspective on things, and I can then form my own opinion. With first person, I feel like the character's opinion is forced on me. Of course, this realisation comes after I complete the book, especially a very thrilling and exciting one like the Percy Jackson series. That's why I liked the other series better, where I had the perspectives of the other characters as well as Percy's own.

In other times, where the main character didn't know anything, it works great to build up suspense. Especially when their trusted friend turns out to be a villain of sorts - a twist the main character doesn't see coming and therefore, neither the reader.

You can weigh the pros and cons of each perspective and see which one works better for your story. There's no specific rule for this.


message 4: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Seewald (jacquelineseewald) | 40 comments Tuğba wrote: "First person must tell the story, when i read god like writers know everything and been everywhere it makes the book unrealistic to me. But when first person tell the story even dragons envolved it..."

Tuğba wrote: "First person must tell the story, when i read god like writers know everything and been everywhere it makes the book unrealistic to me. But when first person tell the story even dragons envolved it..."

First person works well for YA fiction and also for mysteries that feature an unreliable narrator. Jacqueline


message 5: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Seewald (jacquelineseewald) | 40 comments Avalon wrote: "I feel third person or omniscient is better for me - and I actually rather prefer it - because I feel that knowing everybody's thoughts at once, so to speak, I'll have a better, more neutral perspe..."

Avalon, third person is effective if POV is shifting characters. For instance, hero to heroine in romance fiction and multiple viewpoints in mysteries. Jacqueline


message 6: by V. (new)

V. Ananya (avalon_greene) | 3 comments Jacqueline wrote: "Avalon wrote: "I feel third person or omniscient is better for me - and I actually rather prefer it - because I feel that knowing everybody's thoughts at once, so to speak, I'll have a better, more..."

Yes, for sure. That's what I said I prefer. What you choose ultimately is up to you. Please know that I'm not imposing anything on you - simply sharing my opinion. You don't have to take it.


message 7: by V. (new)

V. Ananya (avalon_greene) | 3 comments Jacqueline wrote: "Avalon wrote: "I feel third person or omniscient is better for me - and I actually rather prefer it - because I feel that knowing everybody's thoughts at once, so to speak, I'll have a better, more..."

I'm sorry if I misunderstood the point of this thread. I thought you were asking for opinions to try with your own stories. My bad.


back to top