Fantasy Reads discussion

An Unkindness of Magicians (An Unkindness of Magicians, #1)
This topic is about An Unkindness of Magicians
Buddy Reads > Buddy Reads - An Unkindness Of Magicians

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ashi✿TheAvidReader | 193 comments Mod
This is for me and El to Buddy Read "An Unkindness Of Magicians". If anyone wants to join us, you can tell us here :)

Hey El! I started the book. Did you?
And Oh God, the POVs are changing so fast it's giving me a whiplash :D

Hey I just read till Ch 11 and (view spoiler)

message 4: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Really sorry! Crazy awful weekend (finally over), I've started "an unkindness of magicians" and I'll read a lot more in the next few days ;)

I read Ch23 (view spoiler)

message 6: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Chap 3 (view spoiler)

Hey El I'm really sorry, but now the book is picking up pace and I think I'll finish it today. I'm physically incapable of not reading now.
Which chapter are you on?

(view spoiler)

message 9: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El I'm in the middle of chapter six but do finish, I'll finish before saturday ;) and we can talk about it.

message 10: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El And I'm supposed to be the fast reader ;)

message 11: by Ashi✿TheAvidReader, Modusa (last edited Sep 03, 2020 01:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

😅 In my defense, our teachers aren't giving enough homework to keep us busy, and this pandemic isn't allowing me go outdoors (not that I wouldn't have stayed at home to read books anyways)
I've got nothing better to do, you take your time and savour the book. Saturday it is!

message 12: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Ashi✿TheAvidReader wrote: "Hey I just read till Ch 11 and [spoilers removed]"

So true ;) but where the hell did he live for the past 10 years ?!

I'm not surprised that Laurent didn't know about the nasty shadow business, it's obviously one of those things that everyone knows but no one really talks about.(view spoiler)

I read it! (view spoiler)

message 15: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Finished it as well ;) ! (view spoiler)

Oh! That's nice you finished early! I was getting restless with the need to talk to somebody!
Yeah, I agree(view spoiler)

message 17: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El I love so much to buddy read, it's so nice to be able to talk to someone right after finishing a book! (view spoiler)

Yeah I heard of this book from one of Murphy's video only. She gave it 5 stars, so I thought i'd like it too, probably.
[I've seen some one her videos, but I don't follow her (I don't watch youtube videos much)]

NO! Ofc not! why would you think I'd 'resent' you for suggesting this book? (And actually i had suggested it first I'm partially to blame too)
Anyways it's all part of the reading experience...

message 20: by Ashi✿TheAvidReader, Modusa (last edited Sep 04, 2020 03:26AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

And as for the book I wasn't frustrated with it, more like disappointed. But although the characters weren't fleshed out, I loved the magic system and world-building. The plot of the novel was amazing, I felt it hadn't been executed properly. There were too many moving parts and sub-plots to be contained in one 300-page book. Maybe author could have made this into 2 books? To give the characters the flashlight they deserved (for ex. Harper's entire story revolved around Rose so it would have been better if we got some Rose+Harper flashbacks or something Or some more Ian+Lara scenes) (view spoiler)

message 21: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Yeah , you're right ;) ! If you want to buddy read again (now or ever), I'm your girl ;)

(view spoiler)

El wrote: "Yeah , you're right ;) ! If you want to buddy read again (now or ever), I'm your girl ;)"

Sure, I'm gonna read 7 Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, or Mexican Gothic or some other Thriller kinda book......are you interested?

message 24: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El I already read the 7 husbands of evelyn hugo (really good ;)) but I wanted to read "Dark Matter" (sci-fi thriller I heard great things about) and "The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" (also kind of a mystery/thriller I heard good things about ;) ), would one of them interest you ?

message 25: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Ashi✿TheAvidReader wrote: "And as for the book I wasn't frustrated with it, more like disappointed. But although the characters weren't fleshed out, I loved the magic system and world-building. The plot of the novel was amaz..."
(view spoiler)

Dark Matter seems interesting...When are you gonna start reading it? I'm gonna have to ask around for that book, let me see if I can get it...

El wrote: "Ashi✿TheAvidReader wrote: "And as for the book I wasn't frustrated with it, more like disappointed. But although the characters weren't fleshed out, I loved the magic system and world-building. The..."
Yeah I got it, you don't wanna read about characters you don't care about, but you won't care about them if you don't read them. Catch-22 😂...(view spoiler)

message 28: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Ashi✿TheAvidReader wrote: " What did you think of that Grey's death? I was so disappointed! The ghosts illusion was cool, but his death still felt too sudden. Just like that scene where Sydeny duels Shadows House. THAT WAS S..."
I totally agree with you, so quick and easy! And I really wished Grey had suffered more! And I just realised : Sydney had that power before the challenge with Ian, she could have just detroyed the House before the challenge and problem solved !
Other inconsistency : the author never tells us how Sydney and Verenice got out of Shadows and I find it weird they were able to go out at all, why would they be trained or allowed to go out in the first place ? I mean, what could Shadows gain from that ?

message 29: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Ashi✿TheAvidReader wrote: "Dark Matter seems interesting...When are you gonna start reading it? I'm gonna have to ask around for that book, let me see if I can get it..."
Whenever you want. I actually read mostly ebooks so I get books in one clic ;) but I have other books to read in the meantime if you don't find it easily

message 30: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Ashi✿TheAvidReader wrote: "El wrote: "Ashi✿TheAvidReader wrote: "And as for the book I wasn't frustrated with it, more like disappointed. But although the characters weren't fleshed out, I loved the magic system and world-bu..."
I hadn't even thought about that but you're right! Same for when it ends!

El wrote: "Ashi✿TheAvidReader wrote: " What did you think of that Grey's death? I was so disappointed! The ghosts illusion was cool, but his death still felt too sudden. Just like that scene where Sydeny duel..."
Oh yess! Why did she wait even one second, as soon as she was alright, she could have gone and destroyed the house!
I think that the sacrifices are given brutal training to enhance their magic, so Shadows can get more out of them (as Sydeny said, most don't survive) So the few who don't die would have to be exceptionally powerful. And as Shara can not leave the Shadows she sends those few who to do her bidding in the Unseen World, in return of their eventual freedom.

message 32: by El (new) - rated it 2 stars

El Ashi✿TheAvidReader wrote: "El wrote: "Ashi✿TheAvidReader wrote: " What did you think of that Grey's death? I was so disappointed! The ghosts illusion was cool, but his death still felt too sudden. Just like that scene where ..."
Thanks for the explanation, makes sense this way !