Clean Romance Book Group. discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Buddy Reads > Amanda and Library's Discussion.

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 56 comments Our book discussion!

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 11 comments Books by Mimi Matthews or The lady in the coppergate tower but I’m up to anything.

message 3: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 56 comments My library doesn't have either of those, I'm sorry.

Hey, do you read Christian romance? I've got a bunch of those. If not, I'll look for something else.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 11 comments Yes I read Christian romance. I’m up for any suggestions.

message 5: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 56 comments Ok, I've got some Julie klassen, which I think would be similar to what you were suggesting, I've got all the Dee Henderson books, some Susan May Warren. Any of those sound good?

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 11 comments Julie Klassen sounds good. I’ve never read any her books but I’ve always wanted to.

message 7: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 56 comments Ok, great! I think I have access to all of her books, and I'm good with all of them. Which one do you want to read? And how quickly do you want to read it? I read fast, so we can go slow or quick, it doesn't matter to me. :)

Also, how often do you wanna talk about it? Like just whenever we wanna post, or a set day?

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 11 comments How about either the apothecary’s daughter or the secret of pembrooke park? I was thinking we could pick a day maybe we could discuss the book or we discuss it while were reading by posting comments.

message 9: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 56 comments Secret of Pembrooke Park sounds good to me. :) I think I read it forever ago, but I can't remember what happens.

How fast do you read? I don't wanna get too far ahead, I might spoil something for you.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 11 comments If I start today or tomorrow it probably will take me about a week to read it.

message 11: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 56 comments Sounds good! I'll start reading :)

message 12: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 56 comments I am 25% of the way through it so far, and am really enjoying it, it seems to have some Gothic elements to it. What about you? :)

message 13: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 56 comments I finished the book! Let me know when you're ready to discuss it. :)

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 11 comments I’ve finished the book. I’m ready to discuss it whenever your ready.

message 15: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 56 comments Great! What did you like best about the book?

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 11 comments I like how there was intrigue and mystery throughout the book as well as romance. It made me not want to put it down and find out what happens in the end. I also liked how it had a Jane Austen feel about it. What did you like about the book? What did you not like about the book?

message 17: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 56 comments I liked how it felt like Austen but with some Gothic vibes, I can't really think of anything I didn't like, I gave it 5 stars.

Why do you think Miles set the room on fire? That confused me a bit.

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 11 comments Honestly, I think he was frustrated that he couldn’t find the secret room and probably was angry after reading the letters.

The part that confused me was when I found out that Leah was actually Eleanor this took me a few seconds to digest and how she as well as the chapmans knew the whole time who she was. How did you reacted to this?

All of Jane Austen novels have a underlining lesson or view of the world. Do you feel or think that this novel also followed that example and if so how?

I gave it 4 stars because I kind of didn’t like Abigails lack of self worth as well as how her parents treated her. But I did feel like the relationship between William and Abigail was very natural which I enjoyed a lot.

message 19: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 56 comments Sorry for the delay! I've been busy.

I had just about figured it out, so I was just a little surprised, because I really thought it was Eliza, AND I thought it was a secret baby, not Eleanor, so I thought it was a fun twist, I enjoyed it.

Well, of course it had an underlying lesson. Most Christian books do. One of them, I think, is forgiveness. Abigail's dad forgiving her for the bad advice, her forgiving her sister and her mother, Leah's forgiving of the Pembrooke children. How about you? What themes did you see?

I didn't like Abigail's self-esteem problem either, but since that changed by the end, she gained some throughout the book, I gave it 5 stars.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 11 comments I agree with forgiveness theme especially forgiving herself. I also thought that the theme was honesty, acceptance, and trust. Abigail seemed like she was very trusting and how she as well as family accepting of each other as well accepting responsibility of there actions.

I felt the writing style was very Jane Austen like and would definitely read another book by her. How did you feel about the writing style and would you recommend this book to someone?

Have you read any of her other books?

message 21: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 56 comments I really liked the writing style, and I have recommended this book to others!

I've read quite a few of hers before, but it's been a while for most of them. It was nice to reread this one, I actually liked this more than I remember liking it.

Would you recommend it to someone?

Also, if you'd like to do another buddy read to read more of her books, I'd read with you again, if you want.

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 11 comments Sorry for getting back to you so late we have a computer upgrade at work so I’ve been busy.

I would definitely recommend this book to someone who likes Christian fiction as well as Austen still of story telling.

I’m planning on definitely reading other books by this author and didn’t know if you have any recommendations on which book I should read next.

I wouldn’t mind doing another buddy read with you as well. This was my first time and I enjoyed the experience.

message 23: by Library (new)

Library Queen | 56 comments That's fine! I understand real life gets messed up sometimes.

I would recommend The Tutor's Daughter, because it is my favorite of her books. :) It has even more of a Gothic feel to it, more Jane Eyre than Jane Austen.

Maybe we'll get paired up again next time!

message 24: by Ruby Rose, Small Blessings Count :) (new)

Ruby Rose | 1156 comments Mod
I am guessing you are done? Let me know if you are and I will close the topic. Also put your name here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..., if you want to participate again.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.